Fishing rules opposite moored boats

bigcol

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I was walking past an angling match with the dogs the other day and one of the competitors had his roach pole straddled across the towpath.  It's ok I said the dogs can jump over it, no way he said, one of the guys had his pole broken by a dog that was £5,000 up the swanee.  As you say it's a big money industry now.

Ha! Last year a couple of blokes had their rods out across the tow path (ooo errr) and as I was riding towards them with the dog following behind they made no effort to stop chatting to move them. No bother I thought, their faces as dropped as I put in a couple of pedal stokes and "bunny hopped" the poles! Nice blokes, chatted to them afterwards!

What is annoying is when they have a rod/line across the canal but make no attempt to acknowledge your approach.  And perhaps have headphone/earphones on.  Mostly they lift the rod at the last minute, but you're never quite sure if they will.  Sometimes I sound the horn to alert them, probably disturbing the fish.  Other times I just risk just slowly collecting their line and rod as I go past.

52 minutes ago, Cheese said:

What is annoying is when they have a rod/line across the canal but make no attempt to acknowledge your approach.  And perhaps have headphone/earphones on.  Mostly they lift the rod at the last minute, but you're never quite sure if they will.  Sometimes I sound the horn to alert them, probably disturbing the fish.  Other times I just risk just slowly collecting their line and rod as I go past.

meh, I don't really bother about this, they've always seen you realistically. If they haven't then after the (relatively) pointy end has nudged their pole there's time before the spinny bit makes contact

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

You mean apart from:

p9:  "Go slowly past boats, anglers and other waterway users."

p13: "Don't moor: …. In stretches marked out for an angling match"

p52: "Slow down approaching bridges, locks, bends or junctions, and when passing boats or anglers."

p55:  "Respect other waterways users: …

…..  Waterways tend to be quiet, peaceful places. And they’re for everyone to enjoy – boaters, walkers, anglers, cyclists and others

…… Keep to the centre of the channel when passing anglers – unless they ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace"

The only problem with that advice, as anyone who has past a long fishing match will know, is that the first fisherperson will say "slow down",  the next "go right", the next "go left" the next "speed up" etc

Whatever you do, you can't satisfy the requirements of all of them, especially after they have taken their "misery pills", to get them in the right frame of mind for fishing. ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post.
  • Greenie 1

Being an awkward sod in the days when I used to lockwheel if we came across a fishing match I would ride alongside the boat for much of it. Means they have to dismantle the poles rather than push them through the hedge ;)

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

only problem with that advice, as anyone who has past a long fishing match will know, is that the first fisherperson will say "slow down",  the next "go right", the next "go left" the next "speed up" etc

I just go hard astern and say "pardon I didn't catch that" they love it

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I was pottering along through Hanbury on the Worcester Birmingham with a very quiet Brumtug, and collected the hook line and sinker of an angler on the prop as I went past. He was ever so cross, especially when I just shrugged and smiled from about 30 yards past him.

I did that in a bridge 'ole on the T&M a few years ago. Managed to unwind untold metres of line off his reel. before it snapped. 

(He was on the blind side of the bridge so I had no idea he was there until it was too late).

I just ignore the buggers now....if they can’t hear a JP that’s their problem....stay in the channel and keep the speed on...as far as I’m concerned it’s a bloodsport that should be banned. 

I have lockwheeled on a bike whose brakes were a little lacking....like Loddon keeping up with the boat was amusing.....and I didn’t bunny hop! 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, sirweste said:

meh, I don't really bother about this, they've always seen you realistically. If they haven't then after the (relatively) pointy end has nudged their pole there's time before the spinny bit makes contact

Agee if single-handed, or with crew inside / at the stern.   But with crew sitting out on the pointy end you really don't want to risk them being garrotted because a dozy angler has either got rock music blaring in his ears or has fallen asleep!

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

The only problem with that advice, as anyone who has past a long fishing match will know, is that the first fisherperson will say "slow down",  the next "go right", the next "go left" the next "speed up" etc

Whatever you do, you can't satisfy the requirements of all of them, especially after they have taken their "misery pills", to get them in the right frame of mind for fishing. ?

for passing through a match I just maintain my line and speed (just above tickover), taking the view that I will disrupt each fisher equally and give none an advantage over the rest of the competitors

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

for passing through a match I just maintain my line and speed (just above tickover), taking the view that I will disrupt each fisher equally and give none an advantage over the rest of the competitors

Same, live and let live, if they don't bother me I will do the same for them

51 minutes ago, frangar said:

I just ignore the buggers now....if they can’t hear a JP that’s their problem....stay in the channel and keep the speed on...as far as I’m concerned it’s a bloodsport that should be banned. 

I have lockwheeled on a bike whose brakes were a little lacking....like Loddon keeping up with the boat was amusing.....and I didn’t bunny hop! 

It occurred to me one day that anglers who place their fishing rod across the towpath, and, as is often the case, push the handle end back through the hedge for convenient storage, are not only obstructing a right of way, but also trespassing on some farmers land.  :)

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

It occurred to me one day that anglers who place their fishing rod across the towpath, and, as is often the case, push the handle end back through the hedge for convenient storage, are not only obstructing a right of way, but also trespassing on some farmers land.  :)

No, most towing paths are not a right of way and I am not sure that having a pole above the land and not doing damage is trespass 

Lol

phycloud moors up next to me, fisherman oposit him used a pole and cup

fisherman opposite to me used catapult, but didnt hit the boat

both were their all day and caught 4.2 pound of fish.

the man opposite us, he was hit twice by cyclists

once they ran over his pole, next one he managed to lose his pole in the canal, all you could hear him is shouting I can’t find beleive it, I can’t find beleive it

then he’s mate got a hook and manage to get the pole near, the fisherman who was big as in big big got down fell down got hold of his pole but couldn’t get up again.

he was swearing his fishing men freinds were laughing.

the hyjinx carried on most of the day

they spotted the crane and said you be alright, phcloud shoulted it’s a 20 Tom limit

in the end the guy opposite had a stress day, but laughs all round with us forumers joking in.

good entertainment many thanks fisher people

see we can get on. It’s those bloody cyclists and runners

col

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1

Earlier this year I approached a fihing match, slowed down and moved to the off side. Half way down I wound up catching a bush at the bow and it dragged down the entire side. As it aproached the stern I could see a series of scratches. I uttered something along the lines of ' o'h dear that's a  couple of grand to repair' (they are v deep and won't compound out). His resonse was "you shouldn't own a boat!". Sorry but it will be a long time before I will move over to the off side to avoid anglers again.

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Earlier this year I approached a fihing match, slowed down and moved to the off side. Half way down I wound up catching a bush at the bow and it dragged down the entire side. As it aproached the stern I could see a series of scratches. I uttered something along the lines of ' o'h dear that's a  couple of grand to repair' (they are v deep and won't compound out). His resonse was "you shouldn't own a boat!". Sorry but it will be a long time before I will move over to the off side to avoid anglers again.

It’s why I stay in the channel....I’m not comprising my boat for some twat with a maggot

• Greenie 1

What I didn’t appreciate is how serious they take it

how competitive they are.

when boats come past they seem to hate it

they do get them selves worked up.

i thought fishing was streeless, getting a break from the wife!

but no, they doing battle not only against each other

But boaters

walkers

runners

cyclists

and dogs

They need to buy a boat

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

But you *shouldn't* move over to the offside.  That's where most of them are fishing.  Stay in the channel and slow down is what you are supposed to do - it's no wonder they get grumpy if you always steer through their swim.

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s why I stay in the channel....I’m not comprising my boat for some twat with a maggot

As above, that is what they would prefer you to do, so why the antagonism?

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

But you *shouldn't* move over to the offside.  That's where most of them are fishing.  Stay in the channel and slow down is what you are supposed to do - it's no wonder they get grumpy if you always steer through their swim.

As above, that is what they would prefer you to do, so why the antagonism?

Because not all seem to want that! And they seem to think boats shouldn’t be there spoiling their “fun” I’m not a fan of fishing...does that come across!???

This afternoon I spotted a stainless steel match peg marker fixed on the lock landing. Lock 33 Rochdale canal. So some poor maggot downer draws that number and gets grumbled at. Came through a match in Mirfield, every lock landing had an occupied peg. Chaos!