Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
cuthound

March of the Widebeams

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

 

 

Did East Europe Lady build it for you?

 

:giggles:

 

 

image.png.9d6cb3c85793229b6ad44ede8ab0a722.png

 

 

 

 

I did think this earlier but didnt want to offend our new member.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

 

I thought about it earlier but didn't want to offend East Europe Lady....

 

 

 

?

 

You’ve changed.......???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackrose said:

 

Yeah, wideasses rule!

 

IMG_20190819_161947_7.jpg

Just so comfy and so much room you can extend your arms without touching the sides ? and thats because its a proper size boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do apologise in advance...I don’t post much on here, but that in my opinion isn’t nice! 

Looks like something has pushed out a soft sh.t that has gone all flat. 

Edited by pete23
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Just so comfy and so much room you can extend your arms without touching the sides ? and thats because its a proper size boat

 

Proper boats for proper people! ?

 

1563051975984.jpg

3 minutes ago, pete23 said:

I do apologise in advance...I don’t post much on here, but that in my opinion isn’t nice! 

 

Well let's have a look at yours then.

Edited by blackrose
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pete23 said:

I don’t have one thankfully.

 

I see. So I do apologise in advance but in that case your opinion on my boat (or any boat) is irrelevant and of no consequence.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many years ago was it that Blackrose (the boat) did a journey on a canal? More of a river boat I believe ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, blackrose said:

 

Yeah, wideasses rule!

 

IMG_20190819_161947_7.jpg

In our family, we call that a CON, Clinically Obese Narrowboat. :giggles:

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loddon said:

How many years ago was it that Blackrose (the boat) did a journey on a canal? More of a river boat I believe ;)

 

Mike will no doubt tell you that it went a largish way up the GU, at least once.

 

What that doesn't recognise though is that when it did wide beams of this type of dimension were pretty unusual on the GU, so he wouldn't have been passing one moored one after  another, or trying to pass ones coming the other way.

 

Back then the presence of a few didn't cause any real problems.  Now with virtually every new boat being craned in on the GU being wide, it has really spoilt that waterway for many users.

 

Also the 12 foot plus ones seem to be where much of the growth is.  Those of 10 foot or 10 foot 6 inches were marginally less of a problem, but the vast majority going in now seem to be the real monsters. worse again is the move to wheel steering, which few owners seem able to hack.

 

Wide beams are fine in their place, but the vast numbers on the GU is not the right place for them to be.

  • Greenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Wide beams are fine in their place, but the vast numbers on the GU is not the right place for them to be.

 

At least you don't have to slow down when passing a line of moored widebeams though....

 

:icecream:

 

 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Mike will no doubt tell you that it went a largish way up the GU, at least once.

 

What that doesn't recognise though is that when it did wide beams of this type of dimension were pretty unusual on the GU, so he wouldn't have been passing one moored one after  another, or trying to pass ones coming the other way.

 

Back then the presence of a few didn't cause any real problems.  Now with virtually every new boat being craned in on the GU being wide, it has really spoilt that waterway for many users.

 

Also the 12 foot plus ones seem to be where much of the growth is.  Those of 10 foot or 10 foot 6 inches were marginally less of a problem, but the vast majority going in now seem to be the real monsters. worse again is the move to wheel steering, which few owners seem able to hack.

 

Wide beams are fine in their place, but the vast numbers on the GU is not the right place for them to be.

I think "expert" salespeople and naive buyers have a lot to do with it.  Wow...it's got a "dream kitchen" and "dream wardrobes" let's not worry about the fact it has a 4mm baseplate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only recently discovered this forum. David John, who produces the excellent "CruisingTheCut" Vlogs alerted me to it:

 

What’s the narrowboat forum you mention sometimes in your videos?
The forum I gained most of my info from is canalworld.net. It’s got loads of very expert people who chip in but the only thing you have to watch is that sometimes the discussions veer (quickly) wildly off on a tangent, which is unhelpful, or occasionally descend into vitriolic arguments. If you can wade your way through that occasional treacle, it’s good stuff.

 

However, it seems that forum members just can't prevent themselves from calling other peoples boats "pug ugly" or worse, or saying "I don't want to offend" when in reality that's precisely what they want. So, while I'll visit this forum  and "wade through the treacle" and "vitriol" to get news and information, in future I'll keep my contributions to a minimum. It's not a question of being thin-skinned (I've a hide like a rhino); I just think that grown-up canal boaters should behave more maturely and treat each other with more respect.

Edited by Trevor Lyons
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Trevor Lyons said:

 

 

However, it seems that forum members just can't prevent themselves from calling other peoples boats "pug ugly" or worse, or saying "I don't want to offend" when in reality that's precisely what they want. So, while I'll visit this forum  and "wade through the treacle" and "vitriol" to get news and information, in future I'll keep my contributions to a minimum. It's not a question of being thin-skinned (I've a hide like a rhino); I just think that grown-up canal boaters should behave more maturely and treat each other with more respect.

Some also have a sense of humour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

 

Also the 12 foot plus ones seem to be where much of the growth is.  Those of 10 foot or 10 foot 6 inches were marginally less of a problem, but the vast majority going in now seem to be the real monsters. worse again is the move to wheel steering, which few owners seem able to hack.

 

Wide beams are fine in their place, but the vast numbers on the GU is not the right place for them to be.


this is definitely the case in my recent experience 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

At least you don't have to slow down when passing a line of moored widebeams though....

 

:icecream:

 

 

 

Depends on how good you are at judging narrow gaps! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 10:40, noddyboater said:

Imagine if you’re that person and still around, you’d stand back proudly and think “Look what I’ve done!”  

Better still stand against a wall and proudly be shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Loddon said:

How many years ago was it that Blackrose (the boat) did a journey on a canal? More of a river boat I believe ;)

 

 

7 years ago, full length of the K&A from Reading to Bristol and then Sharpness to Gloucester on the G&S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.