March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Late last year was one near where there is the floating pontoon and mooring in the offside by the Willoughby bridge, the boat was not on its mooring but if it had returned there would not have been much space to get past.

I can’t see how CRT can give it permission to moor on the offside...it’s bad enough that they are in Barby & North Kilworth Marina. 

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

I can’t see how CRT can give it permission to moor on the offside...it’s bad enough that they are in Barby & North Kilworth Marina. 

I probably worded it badly.  

There is an offside mooring that is used by a narrowboat.  That mooring in on a floating pontoon, so it means the boat is a long way out into the canal.  There was a widebeam moored on the towpath opposite, but as the boat on the long term mooring was out, it was ok to pass, but when then boat returned to its mooring it would not have been.

Just now, john6767 said:

I probably worded it badly.  

There is an offside mooring that is used by a narrowboat.  That mooring in on a floating pontoon, so it means the boat is a long way out into the canal.  There was a widebeam moored on the towpath opposite, but as the boat on the long term mooring was out, it was ok to pass, but when then boat returned to its mooring it would not have been.

Ahhhh. I get what you are saying. Sorry! It’s just nothing is surprising me with where widebeams seems to be turning up now!  

I’m sure there must be a widebeam mindset to moor in the most awkward place possible.....

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Ahhhh. I get what you are saying. Sorry! It’s just nothing is surprising me with where widebeams seems to be turning up now!  

I’m sure there must be a widebeam mindset to moor in the most awkward place possible.....

'We' don't get it -

Rule - With a few exceptions - widebeams are for living on inexpensively and not for boating.

The North Oxford between Braunston turn and Wigram's has always had its share of NBs mooring where the track is narrow and causing some inconvenience. Replace the NB with something a lot wider and there's a major obstruction....

In the days of lengsthmen (remember them ?) mebe 'a quiet word' with the occupant would get it moved. After all a few boat's length there would make quite a difference.

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

In the days of lengsthmen (remember them ?) mebe 'a quiet word' with the occupant would get it moved. After all a few boat's length there would make quite a difference.

In the days of a lengths man there weren't widebeams to moor there

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

I cant see why CRT agreed to that plastic tub pontoon anyway.....its not in keeping with the 'heritage' wharf wall and being plastic might soon have Greta or David Attenborough on their case.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

I cant see why CRT agreed to that plastic tub pontoon anyway.....its not in keeping with the 'heritage' wharf wall and being plastic might soon have Greta or David Attenborough on their case.

I agree, that huge and inappropriate plastic pontoon is a gobsmackingly ugly blot on the landscape. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Noted for zig-zagging their way up and down the Thames back in the 70s. Steering was by steering wheel in the front, you can just see it. Steerer gets no sense of which way the bote is pointing.

And also, I have noted,  a convenient stern deck to plonk the children on if you want some peace and quiet.  You won't even notice if they fall in. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do diesel engines chuck out CO then? Seems unlikely, given the way they work.

Very little.When I bought a new co alarm I tested it by holding it over the boat's exhaust(diesel) Not a peep.

Same on the car (petrol)  it twittered away.

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have one of those mine is bright orange with a sliding roof

Years ago we had a blue one with a sliding roof dumped up on our land during one of the Great Ouse more spectacular floods. In those days there was no way of getting mobile crane access to attempt to refloat it so it ended up being a really useful shed for years until being engulfed in hawthorn and brambles. I was always impressed by the internal space compared to the Broom 30 we had at the time.