Lock keeper beaten up

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Latest .......

A live-aboard mate of mine (without internet) texted me this evening to say they had arrived and tied up behind him at the Rugby end of Cathiron Lane near Harborough Magna. 

Knowing of the alleged issues he has relocated.

There is nothing concerning this issue in the local media.

Rose Narrowboats tomorrow I guess.

C&RT advised in the event these people are guilty of something and merely stopped in Rugby in order to disappear for a couple of days before continuing.

13 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Latest .......

A live-aboard mate of mine (without internet) texted me this evening to say they had arrived and tied up behind him at the Rugby end of Cathiron Lane near Harborough Magna. 

Knowing of the alleged issues he has relocated.

There is nothing concerning this issue in the local media.

Rose Narrowboats tomorrow I guess.

C&RT advised in the event these people are guilty of something and merely stopped in Rugby in order to disappear for a couple of days before continuing.

Even if they had committed offences it is highly likely they would be granted bail.

Even homicide can be given bail these days!

George

According to the CRT man previouslyknownas Enforcement Officer, they have been tracking this pair since they left London and would like to seize and destroy the boats but they need a local court order so as long as the 3 gentlemen keep moving, one assumes from one court area to another, they can not touch them. Puts a new slant on continuous cruising - if you don't stay in one place for 14days, you don't need a boat licence at all.  Meanwhile, one well known boater who travels the system widely and constantly has just received a second letter warning him that he stayed too long on one place - which thankfully, he can disprove!!

Crazy

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Surely, probably not if they are “no fixed abode”?

no fixed abode or no fixed address?

two completely different meanings and probably different outcomes for bail.

no fixed abode means that they have nowhere to go (i.e. homeless), no fixed address means that they do have somewhere to go but that place has no address (like a camp in the woods) or can move (like a boat or travellers caravan)

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Surely, probably not if they are “no fixed abode”?

The Bail Act has a presumption of bail in every case.  It is up to the prosecution to prove a need for remand in custody.

For lesser offences, even NFA would not be good enough to keep them inside.

George

49 minutes ago, canalboat said:

According to the CRT man previouslyknownas Enforcement Officer, they have been tracking this pair since they left London and would like to seize and destroy the boats but they need a local court order so as long as the 3 gentlemen keep moving, one assumes from one court area to another, they can not touch them. Puts a new slant on continuous cruising - if you don't stay in one place for 14days, you don't need a boat licence at all.  Meanwhile, one well known boater who travels the system widely and constantly has just received a second letter warning him that he stayed too long on one place - which thankfully, he can disprove!!

Crazy

If I'd known that I could have crushed them F O C 2 days ago.

On 29/10/2017 at 12:09, zenataomm said:

The thick plottens.

It's as I always suspected.

You can only fall foul of the law if you choose to recognise it.

Ah, these are "freemen of the land" eh? This is their philosophy IIRC.

Can you get "freemen of the water" too?

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Surely, believers in Freemen of the Land work under a corruption of maritime law so that it will apply anywhere on land or water that Common or Natural Law can be applied, but hardly applies to these coves or they would believe that individuals do no harm to others, do not damage the property of others, and do not partake in fraud or mischief. Or am I still being "Silly"?

8 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Surely, believers in Freemen of the Land work under a corruption of maritime law so that it will apply anywhere on land or water 

So that makes them...

Free Men In A Boat.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Whatever happened to the guy who posted on here a year or two back who was going to fight CaRT on the Freeman principle?

23 hours ago, furnessvale said:

The Bail Act has a presumption of bail in every case.  It is up to the prosecution to prove a need for remand in custody.

For lesser offences, even NFA would not be good enough to keep them inside.

George

You are correct I remember it changing thus as it was not always so. Whilst working in Leeds courts one morning I took two young scrote lads up for a bail application, they had numerous previous convictions for theft aged about fifteen and this was another case of minor shoplifting, they were remanded in custody for the strong likelihood of them reoffending. The same morning I took a young immaculately dressed professional couple up to the same court, their offence............they had desperately neglected their baby who had died in its cot in a filthy state. As they were of previous good character, had good jobs I daren't tell you what their jobs were and had a lovely house oh and there was no likelihood of reoffending as their defence solicitor said because they had no other children!! they were duly granted bail.

On 29/10/2017 at 22:14, WotEver said:

Whatever happened to the guy who posted on here a year or two back who was going to fight CaRT on the Freeman principle?

Was that not Leigh Ravenscroft?

One of his youtube videos mentions him considering himself one, IIRC. 

52 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You are correct I remember it changing thus as it was not always so. Whilst working in Leeds courts one morning I took two young scrote lads up for a bail application, they had numerous previous convictions for theft aged about fifteen and this was another case of minor shoplifting, they were remanded in custody for the strong likelihood of them reoffending. The same morning I took a young immaculately dressed professional couple up to the same court, their offence............they had desperately neglected their baby who had died in its cot in a filthy state. As they were of previous good character, had good jobs I daren't tell you what their jobs were and had a lovely house oh and there was no likelihood of reoffending as their defence solicitor said because they had no other children!! they were duly granted bail.

How does one go about desperately neglecting something. :)

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A lot of folks seem to manage it with batteries.

Maybe there should be a 'battery-line' set up so they can report their neglect. (maybe 0800-2288379)

Good idea. They could be called ''The Good Electrolytes''.

Edited by bizzard

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A lot of folks seem to manage it with batteries.

Maybe there should be a 'battery-line' set up so they can report their neglect. (maybe 0800-2288379)

Yes, preferably a 24-hour one so that it would be ever ready.