Overstaying apparently

Bewildered

Featured Posts

I got a text yesterday. Polite enough. Just a reminder etc.

Grace me a number to call if we want to call CRT. I called the number. Left message, nothing!

We have been where we are for quite a considerable time. I called CRT and informed that that I am anticipating stays in hospital. Which, as it happens, has been proved to be correct. I asked for someone to call me back, I heard nothing from CRT. I am still awaiting an appointment to see if I have to have an organ, or something taken away. I don't need to part with anything else.

I reckon Enforcement are cool about the situation and the man on the ground (patrol) is not aware of our circumstances. Not sure how to respond.

Oh! And there's nowhere to go anyway, we have a swingbridge closed one way and locks closed another way. We don't want to retrace our journey.

Would a five mile cruise in one direction, then back to the starting point, cruise five miles in the other direction and back again be definable as being on a continuous cruise? I'm no apologist for the officious application of rules.but It's more what you'd expect of someone with a permanent mooring at the central point. I suspect that's why CRT are getting hoity about it. Might be best to miss a week or two of training and go a bit further, take a few photos, and then go back.

• Greenie 3

Would a five mile cruise in one direction, then back to the starting point, cruise five miles in the other direction and back again be definable as being on a continuous cruise? I'm no apologist for the officious application of rules.but It's more what you'd expect of someone with a permanent mooring at the central point. I suspect that's why CRT are getting hoity about it. Might be best to miss a week or two of training and go a bit further, take a few photos, and then go back.

Don't you find this worrying in a supposedly free country?

I was sent the same letter a few weeks ago even though the canal is closed in both directions and the pound I am moored in had been completely drained.

I still can't decide whether their level of incompetence is worrying or comforting.

Can you not run your taps for a while.......

Don't you find this worrying in a supposedly free country?

No. You can live however you want to, but if you live within a society you have to take account of its rules. You are free to break them if you want to, but you then can't whinge about penalties imposed if you aren't clever enough to avoid getting caught!
  • Greenie 1

I think it's been stated by CRT that a range of 20 miles should be cruised in a year, that each move should be at least 1KM, and that the cruise should be progressive.

Since starting out in west London in April we have been up the GU to the Oxford Canal, down the South Oxford as far as Banbury, back up the Oxford canal to the Coventry canal, up the Coventry to the Birmingham & Fazely, up the Trent & Mersey to the Maclesfield, upto the end of the Peak Forest, back down to the T&M onto the Shropshire Union, onto the Staff & Worcestershire, back down the T&M Birmingham & Fazely, Coventry and GU down to Milton Keynes.

I think I may have just about covered the C&RT range of 20 miles. Funny though I don't remember getting thanks for continuous crushing email then, I just get warning one for visiting the same spot 3 weeks in a row; apparently I haven't been moving enough.

I can see your point, this however obviously doesn't take into account where my boat has been over the last year. They must only flag up the boat numbers if spotted twice in the same location regardless of the data they must have of previous sightings

From the list of travels above it is obvious that I have been CCing all summer, now that it is winter we are cruising still but over less distance, on account of its bloody cold.

Edited by Bewildered

The idea is to stop people mooring at a for 14 days moving to b for 14 days moving to a staying for 14 days moving to c staying 14 days moving to a stopping 14 days moving to b ect ect. Even if youve moved say one end of country to other in the summer. All it takes into account is the min movements between the 14 days and close by weeks to that. The only real way to get around this a do the above is if you went down a few close by arms of a canal this way you could say your returning to a each time as its in the middle of the arms. Or again if you near the end of an arm as 14 days you would be going one way stop at c, move to b move to end of arm (a) back past b then c but then keep moveing to d then e ect if you understand my point.

From your description your clearly stopping for this class moving and returning to a sim spot for the class regularly.

Crt actually say you should have moved around a nin of 20-25miles a year (was in a few papers and arguments crt replyed to with that dustance)

Why not moor a mile from the class and slowly move a mile at a time every 14 days over the space of 6 weeks you could easly be at your class and keep within the rules. Or if you move away and do come back moor a good distance from where you last did. Youll prob find they didnt come out between you moving and returning making it look like you hadent moved.

But if you moving and returning to a spot regularly then your not complying fully. As your not aloud to do as i said above with a,b &c all the time.

Edited by billybobbooth

The idea is to stop people mooring at a for 14 days moving to b for 14 days moving to a staying for 14 days moving to c staying 14 days moving to a stopping 14 days moving to b ect ect.

From your description your clearly stopping for this class moving and returning to a sim spot for the class regularly.

Crt actually say you should have moved around a nin of 20-25miles a year (was in a few papers and arguments crt replyed to with that dustance)

Why not moor a mile from the class and slowly move a mile at a time every 14 days over the space of 6 weeks you could easly be at your class and keep within the rules. Or if you move away and do come back moor a good distance from where you last did. Youll prob find they didnt come out between you moving and returning making it look like you hadent moved.

But if you moving and returning to a spot regularly then your not complying fully. As your not aloud to do as i said above with a,b &c all the time.

I may do that next year if I'm in the area for winter. I'm not actually planning to go again until I pass by next spring.

Originally I only intended to do a couple of weeks but last week they invited me to their club Xmas meal which is why I ended up here three weeks in a row. Going to head further south now; Narrowboats migrate for the winter, at least they do when owned by southern softies!

Thats fair enough but this is prob why you got a message. you could always tell a small white lie and say you had a water pump or something broke so you couldnt move for a week but you have now fixed it and have now moved on as normal.

Quite funny as i know people who have genuinely had problems crt not said a thing dispite them being there a month but they told crt why they were still there. They did move as soon as the could.

Its taken me 10 weeks to get half way down the aylesbury arm as i just move enough that im in a diffrent village or town area each 14 days. This is all i use a area is if the village near me is a diffrent one. E.g. marsworth - wilstone - Puttenham ect as far as im concerned there diffrent areas even if there less than a mile. I think the crt claimed 20 miles is if your somewhere more like mk or london or birmingham as you can move a few yards and be in a diffrent area.

I dont find it that hard to stay of the radar, I cruise regularly between ansty to atherstone with the ashby in-between.

That's gives me 6 stopping places on the Coventry, asnty, hawkesbury, marston lane, Nuneaton, hartshill, atherstone then another 6 or 8 places up the ashby.

In summer I add rugby and the Coventry canal basin and as far as Tamworth.

I guess it's a lot easier when you have a car and someone who can pick you up and drop you back to collect your car, but I have also used bus routes as I'm lucky that a bus follows the Coventry from Coventry all the way to atherstone and also crosses the ashby.

Some spots I only stay a week as they are not as nice as others, plus I like to be away from the busy parts, roads and people.

Often see the same boats doing this area also through the year so I guess it's working for a few of us.

Edited by Dave Payne

Since starting out in west London in April we have been up the GU to the Oxford Canal, down the South Oxford as far as Banbury, back up the Oxford canal to the Coventry canal, up the Coventry to the Birmingham & Fazely, up the Trent & Mersey to the Maclesfield, upto the end of the Peak Forest, back down to the T&M onto the Shropshire Union, onto the Staff & Worcestershire, back down the T&M Birmingham & Fazely, Coventry and GU down to Milton Keynes.

I think I may have just about covered the C&RT range of 20 miles. Funny though I don't remember getting thanks for continuous crushing email then, I just get warning one for visiting the same spot 3 weeks in a row; apparently I haven't been moving enough.

I can see your point, this however obviously doesn't take into account where my boat has been over the last year. They must only flag up the boat numbers if spotted twice in the same location regardless of the data they must have of previous sightings

From the list of travels above it is obvious that I have been CCing all summer, now that it is winter we are cruising still but over less distance, on account of its bloody cold.

It's not that cold, We were out in T shirts yesterday huh.png

Would it be so difficult to tell CART's boat-spotters to write down the direction in which each boat is facing?

It's not "written down" - it is recorded in their hand held device.

A complaint already made is that what the operative can record does not include.....

1) which way they are facing

2) whether the record is of a moving boat, or a tied up boat

This (and similar) is what has fuelled much of the "system not fit for purpose" debate.

What your doing isn't right under guidance. Can't return to same place within 2 weeks afaik!

Care to quote the bit of the guidance that specifies this?

I don't think you will be able to, because I don't think it says that.

(Plenty about 14 day maximum without moving, but nothing explicitly about no return within 14 days / 2 weeks).

IMO it is a complex enough subject without suggesting the rules say what thwey currently do not!

Yes, that's what I said, it's written down on their hand-held device.

:banghead: :banghead:

So to answer your original question a different way, but still completely factually

No it it would NOT be difficult to TELL CRT boat spotters to "write down" the direction the boat was facing. However it would be totally pointless to do so, because they don't have a system that allows them to do it, so TELLING them to do so can't actually make it happen.

Better?

:banghead: :banghead:

So to answer your original question a different way, but still completely factually

No it it would NOT be difficult to TELL CRT boat spotters to "write down" the direction the boat was facing. However it would be totally pointless to do so, because they don't have a system that allows them to do it, so TELLING them to do so can't actually make it happen.

Better?

I had thought their new software did have the facility for checkers to note direction of travel , not sure whether it is used. Edited to add that I've just been told that I'm wrong it's not recorded. However there are no 'no return' clauses in any legislation whether on a visitor mooring or general cruising. Edited by Tuscan

ask yourself a simple question:

do I think I am continuously cruising (i.e. cruising continuously for those who don't understand the words) at the present time?

................................... I would have thought the answer is obvious.

oh, and the title of your thread is misleading, the matter is not about overstaying, it is actually about a perceived failure to cruise continuously.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

frusty.giffrusty.gif

Better?

Obviously "telling" them to do so would entail providing a device which would accept this information. With your background as a computer professional, I'm sure that you could devise a way of doing that. Would it be hard?

Can't see why not. I've seen those too, at least its clear. But where it does not say that what are the rules? When you have had the 14 days how long before you're allowed to come back for another 14?

No it it would NOT be difficult to TELL CRT boat spotters to "write down" the direction the boat was facing.

So, all the P-Takers have to do is moor in a part of the cut that is wider than their boat is long, after 14 days, untie the bow, push it out into the cut, pole it around so it is now facing the opposite direction, re-tie the mooring.

Moor for another 14 days, repeat, repeat,...................

You don't even need an engine.