New Mattress Too Deep :(

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Made a bit of a blunder after reading lots of stuff about mattresses and comfort. I recently bought a new mattress with pocket springs, lots of layers of fibre, and a memory foam top. Looked and felt great in the shop, (and it's great to sleep on on the boat!!). Delivered last week.

However, we have a Springer Spaniel who has been able to jump up on and off the bed without help when the previous, knackered, mattress was in situ. The problem is that the new mattress is 13in deep, such that it comes almost to the gunwhale, whereas the previous one was probably only 6in or 7in deep.

Unfortunately, Alfie has had a couple of goes at jumping on, and cant do it, with a bit of a disastrous collapse when he fails. I tried getting his paws up on the edge of the bed, but the gap between bed and hull is too narrow, and I cant get my arms behind/under him to lift him up.

The upshot is that I now want a mattress which is comfortable and durable, but only 7in deep, max.... I've seen some cheap landlord jobs in my time, but they are awful.

Any suggestions welcomed - the mattress I bought was £500, which seemed expensive, but feels worth it, so I guess I could spend the same/similar on the replacement.

(I'm can use the deep mattress at home, so it wont go to waste).

Have you thought about about making a light,movable platform, about 7 inches high , for the dog?

Yes, but it would have to be in place fairly permanently as he hops on and off the bed as and when he likes, (and we dont want to change that as a habit)... and there is no doubt that my wife, (Janet), or even me, would trip up over it at some point, and part of the reason for a new mattress is to encourage her to spend more time on board.

I've found some foam mattresses that come rolled up in a box, which would probably be OK, but I havent found a small 4ft double yet, (200cm x 120cm).

How difficult would it be to lower the bed frame ?

I lowered mine earlier this year as I wasn't happy with the height.

I lost some storage space underneath but have since put some shelves higher up and so this hasn't been a problem. In fact things are more accessible on the shelves than they were before, diving under the bed.

Yes, but it would have to be in place fairly permanently as he hops on and off the bed as and when he likes, (and we dont want to change that as a habit)... and there is no doubt that my wife, (Janet), or even me, would trip up over it at some point, and part of the reason for a new mattress is to encourage her to spend more time on board.

I've found some foam mattresses that come rolled up in a box, which would probably be OK, but I havent found a small 4ft double yet, (200cm x 120cm).

My wife has health issues which dictate the type of mattress we have. We did have a Dunlopillow foam one which was superb, I looked at replacing it but the cost of £1000-00 made me go ouch! I looked in eBay and found a 4' Silentnight which was a foam/memory foam hybrid, this has proved to be excellent, It's about 7" or 8" deep.

It's a bit weird because if I get up in the night for a waz I come back to a Phil shaped impression in the bed.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Your just a big old softie. I love our dogs but they are absolutely banned from our bed.

I'll second that.

At a stroke you have cured a dog bad habit, that some people have to work very hard to resolve.

I'd quit whilst you're ahead, and make your dog a super dog bed. It'll be a lot cheaper too ;)

Rog

How difficult would it be to lower the bed frame ?

I lowered mine earlier this year as I wasn't happy with the height.

I lost some storage space underneath but have since put some shelves higher up and so this hasn't been a problem. In fact things are more accessible on the shelves than they were before, diving under the bed.

My 1st thought, but the Truma Water and warm air heater is under the bed, so would be a big replumbing job to move it, and I dont know where it would go.

That sounds like we have. Ours was so good we bought one for home as well its a Relaxsan they don't do the model we have on the boat as its now 15 years old, the new one a a bit softer.

Ours on the boat is a cross bed in a boatmans cabin so a local upholstery company took it out of its cover and sliced it into 3 sections, for the side bench, on the flap and in the hole. it fits dead tight so you dont feel any joints.

http://www.dreamtyme.co.uk/acatalog/Mattresses.html

Apart from being 4'6" wide, ours is the same. After 10 years it's still comfy, so another vote for the Edwardian Bedding Co.

We visited Edwardian bedding co three weeks ago. Spot on down to Earth people. Ours was made to measure at exactly 4 ft 4 inches wide as requested ( they dont do metric crap ) made and delivered exactly as stated in one week directt to the bed on the boat. 5600 pocket springs a foot deep at 700 quid plus a bit of delivery and they take old one away for a few quid. Brilliant company and first class job

Tim

Ref rolled up mattress in a box, Midland sell or used to sell 4'.mattresses available in 2 thicknesses'

Phil

Got one of those now 4 yrs later I wake up in a 4 inch deep rut. Will not be buying one from there again.

Could you not make a fold out dog step? Leave down most of the time so when doggie wants to get up and down he can. Flip up when you want to pass and drop back down again after.

Thanks for all the responses and info on mattresses. I've been back to the shop where I bought the mattress, bought a new "mattress in a box", a Breasley Venus 1000, I think, and it will be delivered on Saturday. It seems similar to the Relaxsan mentioned by Brian on Hamser, (Ditchcrawler). At the same time, the deep mattress will be picked up, and taken to our home with a new 4ft base, and we'll be able to sleep in amazing comfort at home.

The new boat mattress is about 7in deep, so Alfie should be OK with it.

I'm not much good at woodwork, so creating some kind of step system is a job that I would probably weigh up over a period of weeks or months - not quick enough for the current situation. However, I like the idea of a fold down step and I like the look of the fluffy steps, and there is no doubt that there will come a day when Alfie wont be jumping onto the beds at home, never mind on the boat.

For those who dont like the idea of dogs on beds - I can only say, "each to his own". I was of that mind until about 15 years ago, but wouldnt have it any other way now :)