And more!

bigcol

Featured Posts

As the license disc holder states.

Has it been LEGALY, agreed that your boat license doesn't have to be displayed

So it's not a legal requirement now?

post-7507-0-00915300-1471701408_thumb.jpegpost-7507-0-00915300-1471701408_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bigcol

Having just looked at the website it say 3 times in the T & Cs that you must display the licence on both sides of the boat. So if it has been agreed they are rather slow in updating the site.

The T & Cs acknowledge they don't need the licence for checking purposes but still say display is a legal requirement.

I'm not sure what point is being made here. The license holders say you should display your licence as it's a legal requirement, the Web site says you should display your licence as it's a legal requirement, but CRT don't need it to be displayed in order to check whether a boat has a licence.

Whatever the case, in pragmatic terms, whether it's a "legal requirement", or a "contractual requirement", or not really a requirement at all, how big a deal is it to display your licence on both sides of the boat, assuming you have a licence?

I'm not sure what point is being made here. The license holders say you should display your licence as it's a legal requirement, the Web site says you should display your licence as it's a legal requirement, but CRT don't need it to be displayed in order to check whether a boat has a licence.

Whatever the case, in pragmatic terms, whether it's a "legal requirement", or a "contractual requirement", or not really a requirement at all, how big a deal is it to display your licence on both sides of the boat, assuming you have a licence?

for those of us with no mailing address or printer on board the boat, it's not all that easy.

Perhaps some of this relates to the fact that maybe about a year back some people in CRT started telling people there was no longer a need to display them.

This happened even to the extent that some people actually rang up again to confirm this had been said, and were again told there was no longer a requirement to display.

It turned out that the people saying that should not have done so, but by that stage people had already passed on what they had erroneously been told by CRT staff, so much of the confusion caused was definitely down to a CRT error.

for those of us with no mailing address or printer on board the boat, it's not all that easy.

How do you get the rest of your mail?

Surely you can use a mail service, or nominate a friend or relatives address?

If so CRT will send paper copies on request (they sent mine without me even asking).

how big a deal is it to display your licence on both sides of the boat, assuming you have a licence?

We do have a licence but we have porthole windows and I don't like the square licence 'disc' in the circular window.

So the licence goes inside the bottom of the glass in the cratch board on one side and the mooring permit on the other.

Seems to me as long as your index number is valid and displayed both sides that would be enough. Even a non CRT person can very quickly find out if you are licensed if they have a smart phone on them with internet connection :rolleyes:

Of course displaying a non valid index number is another subject. And crt license 'plates' are awfully easy to forge in fact last time I licensed a goat they actually asked me to print my own :banghead:

Seems to me as long as your index number is valid and displayed both sides that would be enough. Even a non CRT person can very quickly find out if you are licensed if they have a smart phone on them with internet connection :rolleyes:

Of course displaying a non valid index number is another subject. And crt license 'plates' are awfully easy to forge in fact last time I licensed a goat they actually asked me to print my own :banghead:

Do CRT license goats now?

Mine is on the boat but not displayed if push came to shove i would put it on the cratch. It is currently on the windows on the cloths but these are covered 9/10. Ive not been asked to display it but will happly show it to anyone who asked.

But i have NO intention of putting it on the outside of the boat as there too easy to pull off and there is no way it would get attached to the back cabin or outside of the clothes so cratch is the only place i would put it as the front stand thats about to be fitted will be removed when not on the boat

They told me I don't need to display their word is god I don't display

Favouritism!

They have told me that I must have both the "disks" and a larger "index number" plate displayed. The fact that the index number is on the licence "disks" isn't good enough for them.

On the other hand, when you do order up a set of index plates they take many months to deliver them, so perhaps they don't think they are that important?

Are you truly divorced from anything that requires to be delivered to a mailing address, and from anything that you might want to print?

I'm genuinely interested as liveaboard with no shore based home could be my life one day.

Just to clarify the legal requirements (as per the 1965 Bye-Laws)

(1) Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of twenty yards (i) her name and such index mark and number (if any) as the Board shall have assigned to the vessel.

(1) Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of twenty yards (i) her name and such index mark and number (if any) as the Board shall have assigned to the vessel.

So if it is a moonless night, in a dark place, do you meet those requirements exactly as written? :lol:

Do CRT license goats now?

Well some on here are fond of criticising CRT for making up laws for themselves so yes, I'd say this is quite possible.

The interesting thing is CRT's new made up 'law' that licence discs no longer need be displayed seems to have been easily accepted without objection by lots of boaters...

• Greenie 1

I think the intention was to drop the requirement as they only use the index number for data logging, boat identification etc. They then discovered that do so would require a change in the legal requirement which they couldn't do hence it remains. Strange as this has not stopped them on other changes.

So if it is a moonless night, in a dark place, do you meet those requirements exactly as written? :lol:

You must paint it in black and white glow in the dark paint and provide a night light on it so others dont get spooked thinking its a ghost ship

No idea. All I know is I have my boat number on both sides of boat and I have paid for a licence. Now they didn't send me any licence to put in the window this time so what do they expect me to do waste my time to go to a printers or arrange for them to send to correspondence address? no thanks.

Anybody know what the proscribed penalty for non-display is?

I know that breaking the bylaws is a criminal offence.

Bod