Horn signals

Ray T

Featured Posts

As its is part of the 'rules' on the Inland Waterways to apply sound signals then I see no good reason why punters 'don't or won't' use them.

Every boat with a BSS has to have a working horn so it can comply with the requirements of Section 12 (sub-section 12:1 to 12:6).

Not doing so (making the correct sound signal) is against the law and subject to a fine.

I could only find the check list dated 2013 and that only went up to section 9 not 12

I suspect you are one of the very few who know any horn signals. There are not many using them on the canals. I certainly can't remember ever hearing them and I know I never used them because I don't know them.

I know (some of) them and sometimes use a couple, but would rarely hear them from others owing to advancing deafness (except in tunnels, always seem to hear them OK then.) Had an argument with a guy last year about this. "I thought you would have responded to my horn signal!" shouts Mr Haughty. "Didn't hear your horn signal mate" I reply. He looked rather confused.

I suppose what I am trying to say is use the signals by all means, but don't take it as read that others will always hear them.

Edited by Guest

I could only find the check list dated 2013 and that only went up to section 9 not 12

To get a BSS the boat needs a working horn.

Because : It is demanded by the General Canal Bye laws that a boat is able to make sound signals.

It is section 12 of the Bye Laws.

Sound signals 12.

(1) Every power-driven vessel navigating on any canal shall be furnished with an efficient whistle.

(2) When vessels are in sight of one another the master of a power-driven vessel under way in taking any of the courses hereinafter referred to in this Bye-law shall indicate that course by following signals on such whistle, namely : One short blast to mean “I am altering my course to starboard”, two short blasts to mean “I am altering my course to port”, three short blasts to mean “My engines are going astern”, four short blasts to mean “I am about to turn or to turn round”. This signal shall be followed after a short interval by one short blast if turning to starboard or two short blasts if turning to port and shall be repeated to any approaching vessel, whereupon such approaching vessel shall take action to avoid collision.

(3) .......................

etc etc.

Because : It is demanded by the General Canal Bye laws that a boat is able to make sound signals.

Sound signals 12.

(1) Every power-driven vessel navigating on any canal shall be furnished with an efficient whistle.

(2) When vessels are in sight of one another the master of a power-driven vessel under way in taking any of the courses hereinafter referred to in this Bye-law shall indicate that course by following signals on such whistle, namely : One short blast to mean “I am altering my course to starboard”, two short blasts to mean “I am altering my course to port”, three short blasts to mean “My engines are going astern”, four short blasts to mean “I am about to turn or to turn round”. This signal shall be followed after a short interval by one short blast if turning to starboard or two short blasts if turning to port and shall be repeated to any approaching vessel, whereupon such approaching vessel shall take action to avoid collision.

etc etc.

I wasn't aware that a horn was specifically needed? My horn has never been checked by a BSS inspector over the years ( blush.png ) Things change though so I accept that this may be the case.

Edited by Guest

Sound signals 12.

(1) Every power-driven vessel navigating on any canal shall be furnished with an efficient whistle.horn)

etc etc.

So where does the BSS say a boat has to comply with the bye laws. I am well aware that the Bye Laws call for a whistle (horn) but still can't see where the BSS is involved.

So where does the BSS say a boat has to comply with the bye laws. I am well aware that the Bye Laws call for a whistle (horn) but still can't see where the BSS is involved.

I have not read thru the BSS to find it - just going by my boat's BSS failure when the horn didn't hoot.

Mind you - probably just another invention of the 'old boys club' to extract more money.

So, looking at the bye laws:

Firstly, and not in any way suggesting the OP wasnt complying with it:

20. Vessels turning or turning into canal.

Vessels turning in or into any canal shall do so in such a manner as not to cause obstruction or interference to any other vessel using the canal.

And regarding the long blast it has this to say:

(4) When the view of the canal ahead is obstructed by a bend in the canal and until such view is no longer obscured, a power- driven vessel making way through the water shall sound, at intervals of twenty seconds, a prolonged blast.

There is absolutely nothing about sounding a blast in response to another blast. However in the case of a blind bend it would be reasonable to presume that if a boat coming one way has an obscured view, the one coming the other way will do too. In the case of a marina entrance (which is not part of the canal) it is less clear.

Before I come out of the marina Diana goes to the bows and looks both ways to check no one is coming, same coming onto the Oxford at Wigrams or joining at Gt Haywood. Ray doesn't say if he was single handed or not.

I was single handed at the time. Yes, Mrs. T and I usually do as you suggest above.

Is it really 'that difficult' to learn the 6 basic signals ?

Is it that difficult for Hire companies to put a copy next to the helm ?

To (hopefully assist), just print out this 'picture', laminate it and keep it next to your 'ooter button.

Sounds1.jpg

If "C" (I agree to be overtaken, also used as a general affirmative) is on that list, shouldn't "N" (No, negative) be on it as well?

It is a bit like asking people who drive cars if they know the correct hand signals for manouvers

The short answer to your question and my statement is 99% 'NO'

I do. I have an old Morris Minor and no Indicators but trafficators only and these are half way along the car and halfway down so not the best place for everyone to see. So I do use the appropriate hand signals. It does get some puzzling looks from some people!

I do. I have an old Morris Minor and no Indicators but trafficators only and these are half way along the car and halfway down so not the best place for everyone to see. So I do use the appropriate hand signals. It does get some puzzling looks from some people!

I know a couple of hand signals for driving, though doubt they are in the highway code ;)

The confusion is because they have no idea about signals. They think cars have always had flashing lights back and front.

I was single handed at the time. Yes, Mrs. T and I usually do as you suggest above.

Thought you may have been, makes it hard looking out at the front. mind you was it Alan on Keeping Up who had a bash and the insures tried to claim he wasn't keeping a proper lookout.

EDIT to add link to Keeping Up's post

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=83473&p=1789146

Edited by ditchcrawler

The confusion is because they have no idea about signals. They think cars have always had flashing lights back and front.

They used to have a man running in front with a flag, but we wouldn't expect to see that today tongue.png

If "C" (I agree to be overtaken, also used as a general affirmative) is on that list, shouldn't "N" (No, negative) be on it as well?

I imagine no signal is taken as no agreement. It is the safest solution - if your cannot reply, the passer won't pass - if you didn't agree they won't pass, if you make the right signal they will pass

Richard

I can only speak for vessels on the Thames where most don't use their horns...most don't understand...the commercials do. You did your best Ray.

They use them a lot on the tideway.

I use hand signals in a car, people are so surprised when you stick your arm out of the window that they give way to you.

I do use sound signals, I will often give three short blasts when I end up arriving at a bridge hole at the same time as another boat to let them know I am stopping to let them through. I am not sure how often it is understood though.

OK, yes it could be a car horn, but in my experience it is uncommon to find cars sounding their horns for the 4-6 seconds demanded by the BW byelaws. For the most part, it is possible to be reasonably certain that it was a boat horn.

The sounding of a long blast by one boater has provided INFORMATION to all the other boaters around. A boat is intending to negotiate a blind bend etc.

What you should do is take appropriate action based on that information. That appropriate action might be;

1) Decide to stop, as it is clear that you will encounter another boat where you can't pass.

2) Decide that actually it would be difficult to stop and allow somebody else right of way, so sound your own horn.

Ignoring the horn, and carrying on cautiously is simply failing to make use of the information that you have

Came through a blind bridge hole on the Coventry canal to find a young lady ready to set off but still tied up at an offside mooring.

"You should have sounded your horn" said she "What would you have done if you had heard it" I asked (I had in fact sounded it but probably not for 4 seconds). "I would have known you were coming and would have waited for you" she replied.

Frank.

I reserve blowing the horn for those occasions when I am passing a golf course, and somebody is about to tee off.

I reserve mine for those honk honk humpback bridges where motorists have the strange idea they can go over them at speed provided they sound their horns.

I always reply when they sound their horns.

George ex nb Alton retired

I reserve mine for those honk honk humpback bridges where motorists have the strange idea they can go over them at speed provided they sound their horns.

I like to play that game as well and then see if they slow down or stop waiting for the approaching car that isn't there.

Good game. good game!

I had a wee (well quite a big one really) laugh at Iains expense the last time we were out

We approached a bridge on a bend to see an approaching boat. Iain puts Kelpie into reverse and the other boat disappears from view. Moments passed with no activity then the other boat tentively approached the Bridge and came through

On discussing it I said that was an instance when a signal would have been appropriate and Iain in a very hurt tone of voice said he had given a signal,he had flashed his headlight 3 times!! I fell about laughing and iain wasn't amused at me saying that few boaters understood horn signals, never mind light signals. I would have given one of my elaborate arm signals which as yet no one has misunderstood. If you don't hear from me again it will be because Iain has read this and thrown me overboard :-)

Haggis

If it were me Ray, and I had heard your horn I would have given you a toot back cheers.gif

Not sure what Dave would have done, but more than likely he would have as well.

We do use our horn for "most" blind spots, not all, and to be honest I don't think we've ever used it when going past a marina entrance, but when we are exiting a marina we do. Silly ol' live isn't it?boat.gif

A toot back? A short blast? Then you were signalling that you were about to turn right!

James

Two weeks ago, approximately.

I am approaching Barbridge junction from Middlewich so for me it is a T junction. Single-handed with a bridge over it.

No way can I see what is happening on the other two legs.

I approach very slowly, necessary or I won't complete the (left) turn in one.

I hoot twice to indicate I wish to turn left.

No reply.

I continue very slowly.

As I project just past the turn, another long boat comes flashing past at speed, straight across the junction.

At this point my bow must be visible to anybody on the other two legs.

I reverse quickly and wait for him to pass and then start the forward crawl again.

A second boat travels past my bow straight across the junction.

I stop the boat and wait as before.

At the third attempt I get round.

What (in an ideal world) should the sequence of sound signals have been?

[Further complications developed as I went through the moorings but they would not have been helped by any sound signals.]

Edited by system 4-50