Tank water - safe for dogs?

RichM

Featured Posts

I drink it so I am sure it will be. I can't understand why there's a need for bottled water or special filters. Unless those with rusty tanks do not like the look of the water.

Of course its different if your local water compny decide it would be good to contaminate your tank when you refill.

• Greenie 1

Yup I drink tank water too. We have a stainless steel tank so why should it be worse than what comes out of CRT's water points? Dogs have been around for a while and seem to have managed without drinking water from a mains tap. In fact they seem to quite like drinking from puddles, licking each others whatsits etc...

mine do, but then they drink canal/ river/ puddle water as well*

* I am careful with algal bloom in lakes etc, mind

My thoughts exactly.

Is it a very tender breed?

I drink it so I am sure it will be. I can't understand why there's a need for bottled water or special filters. Unless those with rusty tanks do not like the look of the water.

Of course its different if your local water compny decide it would be good to contaminate your tank when you refill.

Our elderly galvanised tank is past its best. It's rusting from the inside hand has required a y strainer in addition to the shurflo inline filter to stop the pump getting lunched.

Space is a premium so a 10" filter is a costs effective and space saving way of prolonging the tanks useful life. It's putting off the inevitable I know, but there have been more pressing jobs than the tank till now.

Not keen on rusty coffee.

They prefer canal water, but if you do fill the dogs bowl from the tank then its best to let it stand for a day or two to gather some dust and a few dead insects to give it a bit of flavour.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

Absolutely

I can't get into my tank to paint it even if I wanted to. Been living on the boat for two and a bit years and never had the slightest problem with the water. I have a moral objection to buying bottled water. We have good clean water on tap in this country. Why waste plastics and road transport carrying it around in bottles?

I find that the rustiness of the water that comes out of the tap a useful warning that I need to fill up the tank. That warning system does not work if we are moored up for a long time and works too soon if one of us bashes a lock entrance.

As a matter of course, when filling up my 1000 litre tank I add 20ml of thin bleach to top up the chlorine level. I use a large syringe to add the 20ml to the tap end of the hose near to the beginning of the fill. This makes sure that the hose keeps sweet and that the chlorine levels in the tank don't fall too far before we have used that tank full.

N

My dogs drink water from the tank, water from muddy puddles, they also enjoy cow poo horse poo rabbit poo and sheep poo enough said I think!!

That sounds familiar :)

My dogs drink water from the tank, water from muddy puddles, they also enjoy cow poo horse poo rabbit poo and sheep poo enough said I think!!

You forgot to mention the oh so tasty duck and goose poo, it must be tasty because my two make a beeline for it at every opportunity.

Phil

Absolutely

I can't get into my tank to paint it even if I wanted to. Been living on the boat for two and a bit years and never had the slightest problem with the water. I have a moral objection to buying bottled water. We have good clean water on tap in this country. Why waste plastics and road transport carrying it around in bottles?

I find that the rustiness of the water that comes out of the tap a useful warning that I need to fill up the tank. That warning system does not work if we are moored up for a long time and works too soon if one of us bashes a lock entrance.

As a matter of course, when filling up my 1000 litre tank I add 20ml of thin bleach to top up the chlorine level. I use a large syringe to add the 20ml to the tap end of the hose near to the beginning of the fill. This makes sure that the hose keeps sweet and that the chlorine levels in the tank don't fall too far before we have used that tank full.

N

Is this an integral water tank? If so you will need to get into it at some stage.

We left ours for several years, when we did look the paint (blacking) was pretty good but had failed in a couple of places, there were rust "worm casts" above these perforations and pits in the baseplate up to almost 2mm deep. I did some Googling and there are some very odd and potent corrosion effects that can occur at the bottom surface of a steel water tank.

..................Dave

You forgot to mention the oh so tasty duck and goose poo, it must be tasty because my two make a beeline for it at every opportunity.

Phil

Same here, mine likes it as a skin rub as well.

We have a large flock of Canada Geese at Titchmarsh, they have had young and make a tremendous mess of the grass!

Phil

Following extensive training ours no longer eats cow/sheep/goose poo, but she just can't resist a bit of the human stuff. We always keep her on a lead when walking past a fishing competition!

...............Dave

Following extensive training ours no longer eats cow/sheep/goose poo, but she just can't resist a bit of the human stuff. We always keep her on a lead when walking past a fishing competition!

...............Dave

I had no idea that fishing competitions involved human poo.....

You live and learn!

Rufus always drank tank water , then the missues said she could smell a funny smell from it as we had left some in the tank for a while so I put water purifing tablet in and that made the dog sick lol .. now he is on mineral water until it clears , spoilt mutt ... as said canal water , dead fish , poo of all types dont seem to bother him but water purifier tabs a big no no .. says it all really

Most of our dogs have had a simple philosophy: River water is for swimming in, canal water is for drinking, and tap water is for emergencies only.

Yeah, they're not overly demanding creatures. Our Lab's philosophy is: if it smells good (and almost everything does), eat it. For drinking, a muddy puddle is good and anything more refined is a bonus. If either of those turns out not to be quite as palatable as they appeared, eat grass and barf. Fresh water tank water should certainly be no threat to a dog.

Actually, I can't really see the point in putting half a ton of fresh potable water in the fresh water tank and then humans not being able to drink it - if the fresh water tank can't be trusted to store fresh water it needs fettling!

Hmmm... be a bit circumspect with this...apart from the rabbits

you have no way of knowing if the other animals have been

dosed with some type of medication which will pass into their

"droppings"... with this in mind I would discourage dogs from

this type of snacking!

Most of our dogs have had a simple philosophy: River water is for swimming in, canal water is for drinking, and tap water is for emergencies only.

Our dogs were the same, at home he would do the garden looking for rain water or the pond. I think its the Chlorine they don't like