Remote Control

Tom Kemp

Featured Posts

Being a single handed boater with declining mobility, I have developed and installed radio control for helm and throttle on my 57ft narrowboat. I have used electric actuators and a radio control system normally used for clay pigeon trap release. In addition to helm and throttle I can also sound the horn and operate the engine cut out. It is not the intention to control the boat from the bank other than at locks and swing bridges.

Any body out there with experience of insurers attitudes to such arrangements? I am assuming that they should be notified as it constitutes a modification to my boat.

Dunno the answer to your question but would be interested to see the answers. I have thought of installing remote equipment. As I'm into radio controlled aircraft I was looking at using that sort of equipment. I'm sure it would be a not too difficult job for someone who builds remote aircraft. The advantages for someone who is single handed would be immense and I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg.

EDIT Seeing the first answer I think CRT need to rethink. In this day and age of drones and driverless cars they are well out of touch. When I say drones I don't mean the toy stuff I mean the full size stuff.

Edited by bigste

No direct experience but it 'can be done'

A couple of years ago we were cruising with a guy with similarly modified boat, (he was mobile purely because of his mobility-scooter). He had the boat set up with bow and stern thrusters and could control them, and the engine, from the bank when he was operating locks - it was impressive to watch him working the locks / lock gates, then he would 'whistle up' his boat and it would 'drive itself' into the locks.

EDIT Seeing the first answer I think CRT need to rethink. In this day and age of drones and driverless cars they are well out of touch. When I say drones I don't mean the toy stuff I mean the full size stuff.

Just scanned the current t&c's and can't find any reference tho.

So what about driverless boats ? Given the low speed, lack of pedestrians or cyclistsn suddenly crossing in front of you and the relatively slow approach of other boats, the technology for this must be a doddle in comparison, and the Hire Companies would love it ! Just think, all those Stag & Hen parties would not need to worry about actually having to drive the boat...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

On the subject of modifications and notifying your insurance, I don't think this is relevant unless your policy specifically states it. Of course with a car, it is something they are hot on, and this is reflected in the policy wording, but for boats I really don't think anyone notifies their insurance company every time they change something on their boat.

Anyway, is the design something you'd be prepared to share on here? It's something I have contemplated, perhaps not steering but certainly gears/throttle for when the boat is in the lock. The difficulty seems to arise with mixing manual operation via the usual morse control, and electronic control.

Edited by nicknorman

If working narrow locks single handed, you can use various techniques that have the same effect- e.g. leave the boat in tickover forwards in the lock mouth when going uphill, and stop it with a paddle before it hits the cill; and, going downhill, getting back onto the cabintop after opening the bottom gates and shutting the gates with a shaft once you're out.

That said, you have to be fit enough to ensure you can get to the right place at the right time.

Perhaps something to think about. Maybe it would be a good idea to have something like a dead man's handle so if the operator fell, suffered some sort of medical attack etc. there would be a backup that automatically put the gearbox into neutral and hopefully closed the throttle.

Can't remember the wording (and my policy is on the boat) but a couple of years ago my Saga insurance included a paragraph along the lines that the boat had to be MANNED at all times whilst underway. It did make me wonder about single handing through locks but didn't pursue the matter

Perhaps something to think about. Maybe it would be a good idea to have something like a dead man's handle so if the operator fell, suffered some sort of medical attack etc. there would be a backup that automatically put the gearbox into neutral and hopefully closed the throttle.

I seem to recall that the one in the article defaulted to neutral if there was no pressure on the throttle control on the remote unit

I think the CRT licence says you can't use a remote control devices so you may not be insured if you do.

I did see a boat on (I think) the A&C with the boater operating the controls from lockside. I must admit that the potential problems loomed in my mind although it worked well enough for him.

This topic does crop up here on occasion. This thread seems to be the last time.

Clicky Here

Whereas I'm a supporter of the thought that bureaucracy stifles imagination and innovation, therefore if you're not going to like the answer then don't ask the question, today's society is encouraged to turn to litigation on all occasions.

I'd be nervous using one as I'm damn sure every corner and bend hides someone prepared to "Blame & Claim" regardless of what happened.

Edited ~ because on should have been one.

Edited by zenataomm

Remote control locks is the answer, approach the lock, break a beam, lock cycle starts, enter lock, fling a rope or two over a sticky out thingy, push/pull a rod, lock fills/empties, out you go. Works in France (usually)

Being a single handed boater with declining mobility, I have developed and installed radio control for helm and throttle on my 57ft narrowboat. I have used electric actuators and a radio control system normally used for clay pigeon trap release. In addition to helm and throttle I can also sound the horn and operate the engine cut out. It is not the intention to control the boat from the bank other than at locks and swing bridges.

Any body out there with experience of insurers attitudes to such arrangements? I am assuming that they should be notified as it constitutes a modification to my boat.

we had one on our canal i was amazed to watch it the owner was single handed and our locks are very big and in some ways not safe to go up and down the ladders on your own. know nothing else however