Harecastle & Standedge Tunnels - how to do 'em?

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Have been reading about these tunnels but all very confusing, can anyone explain simply?

We only have a 40-footer and no mobile gardens on the roof, so size dimensions we can forget about in our case.

Harecastle - needs booking? How? Phone number? Or do we just turn up (in June/July)?

Standedge - needs booking well in advance? Weeks or months? Is the phone number 03030-404040? (and what number is that?)(from CRT's page)

Do boats go through singly, or do they follow other boats?

I've printed out the instructions from CRT but just want to check we'd be in the right place at the right time.

Edited by Emerald Fox

Harecastle is simple you just turn up during opening hours. They send boats through in batches, thakes about 35 mins to go through, and is no big deal at all.

Standedge, is more involved you need to book and there are size constraints.

Don't assume that a clear roof will get you through Standedge. Some boats fit, some don't. Mine doesn't. It a combination of height, width and tumblehome. The allowable dimensions are online. Measure carefully, if you're too big and they can't get you down easily with extra ballast, you won't be allowed in.

As John says for Harecastle.

But Standedge is not just a matter of height. You need to check all dimensions here.

Booking is on the normal CRT number which you quote. Passage only available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 3 boats each way (or less if there aren't enough staff available. I've normally been able to book within a week, but that has usually been in April or September.

As John says for Harecastle.

But Standedge is not just a matter of height. You need to check all dimensions here.

Booking is on the normal CRT number which you quote. Passage only available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 3 boats each way (or less if there aren't enough staff available. I've normally been able to book within a week, but that has usually been in April or September.

And 'we came though last year' is not likely to work! Ballasting (eg fill up with water at the wharf) can help and it may also depend on the level of wter in the summit at the time. Not happened to us but there are plenty of reports of folk being disappointed and it is a long way back! Tumblehome is, I understand, the more likely problem.

When I was planning for the Harecastle in 2011 the consensus seemed to be that the faster you could go, the less chance of banging into the sides.

Well, I went through in 29 minutes, which is quite fast. I was hanging onto the tiller for dear life, watching the roof, banged the sides a couple of times, and came out pleased, but a bit stressed. I think 29 mins is about 4mph?

A few days later, I did Preston Brook but much slower, felt much more in control, didn't touch the sides, and came out relaxed.

So I don't buy the speed thing.

When I was planning for the Harecastle in 2011 the consensus seemed to be that the faster you could go, the less chance of banging into the sides.

Well, I went through in 29 minutes, which is quite fast. I was hanging onto the tiller for dear life, watching the roof, banged the sides a couple of times, and came out pleased, but a bit stressed. I think 29 mins is about 4mph?

A few days later, I did Preston Brook but much slower, felt much more in control, didn't touch the sides, and came out relaxed.

It's not a matter of going as fast as possible, it's a matter of going at a reasonable speed -- or perhaps more importantly not dawdling. When we were waiting to go through a couple of years ago, the first three boats in the convoy emerged, but the fourth was nowhere to be seen. It eventually arrived about 15 mins later, with masses of brick dust down the sides, where it had been scraping along the walls. So going slow is worse that going at a normal speed.

I have always managed to get a booking for Stanedge at short notice.(but not through school holidays) Went through on a Thursday last time,as the tunnel coms had failed on the Wednesday.. Followed the trip boat out. If you plan to go through Harcastle,probably best not to moor overnight outside the north end.South end is fine.

No experience with Stanedge but i second everyones advise by contacting CRT for clarification as current conditions could play a factor, low water levels etc.

As for Harecastle, just turn up by 3pm to be guarunteed entry as the last passage is by 5 ish i think in the winter and a little later in the summer. Timed entry with a CRT person opening and closing the entrance gates accordingly. Cruise at a speed you normally would anywhere else and you'll be fine. Just beware of the low points if you are tall.

And don't think you can just barge ahead in Standedge - there are wide high bits, low narrow bits, bends, irregular rock faces, pinch points, and rendezvous points (with the accompanying vehicle in the parallel tunnel). That's why you have a 'pilot' on board. My fastest is 1hr 20mins, but I certainly wasn't trying for a record - that is just under 1hr, by Terry, one of the pilots, driving a small work boat.

Summer holidays and we usually did Standedge bookings with about a week's notice.

You've had some great advice - fill your water tank before you go up the last set of locks. Lights on inside and curtains open. The pilots are brilliant; they will let you go at your pace, but we'd recommend above tickover as you need the steerage - normal cruising speed seems to do the trick. Hubby was similar times to Mac, but we've heard tales of people taking over 3 hours to get through with lots of bumping on the way.

Thanks for input - I just had the feeling that is it's only 3 boats per direction on Mon/Wed/Fri then the whole of July might be booked up already for Standedge !?!

Maybe I should give CaRT a call this week to see if they have any gaps at all in July...

Tape measure out first to check the boat's profile/tumblehome.

You've had some great advice - fill your water tank before you go up the last set of locks.

There is a water point at the tunnel entrance North and South end so you can fill up as you wait for your slot to go through.

Thanks for input - I just had the feeling that is it's only 3 boats per direction on Mon/Wed/Fri then the whole of July might be booked up already for Standedge !?!

Maybe I should give CaRT a call this week to see if they have any gaps at all in July...

Tape measure out first to check the boat's profile/tumblehome.

I booked the other day for June, I think you will be surprised how few boats want to do the trip! However if you know your dates you might as well get it booked now ... nothing to be lost.

Have a brilliant trip, it really is an amazing and unique canal.

Terry told me that the only reason he could do Standedge in under an hour (we took 1h45m) was it was an *old* work boat and they didn't care how bashed up it got...

(a brilliant trip though, highly recommended)

Edited by IanD

I would routinely go through Harecastle with Alton (and now with Badger) in around 33 minutes with no problems.

Interestingly, I have seen older tunnel records of self powered working boats using the tunnel and none took less than 55 minutes, some well over an hour.

Either the tunnel was shallower, the old towpath (submerged in places) made things difficult OR the boaters put her into ahead tickover and retired inside for a brew and a butty leaving the boat to bang her own way to the other end.

George ex nb Alton retired

Don't think I ought to let my wife read this if we take the eagerly awaited trip (by me!!) through the Standedge Tunnel with our new boat. Better ask the boat yard for an ample supply of "touch-up " paint!!!

• 5 months later...

It depends on your tumblehome and ability to steer. If your boat is built on caravan principles it is possible to make contact with the brickwork at roof level rather than below the gunnels. Most times you can get through without touching.

It's easier to get through unscathed than somewhere like Braunston where you have to rely on people coming the other way not ramming you into the side.

Barnton and Salters ford are more of a challenge because they're narrow and not straight.

The tunnel keepers at Harecastle actually suggest you go through at "your normal cruising speed". sadly this is generally only possible if you are the first boat in that particular convoy to enter. Many people go very much slower, and in my view it only gets hard when you are forced to keep taking your boat out of gear because otherwise you will run into the one in front.

Harecastle is not hard at all, in my view, because all you have to do is stay away from the walls, knowing nobody will be coming the other way. On the big two way tunnels just about all the possible problems relate to what those coming towards you may throw at you, whether it be being badly in the wrong position, or simply blinding you with an inappropriate tunnel light, so you can't see if they are in the correct position or not.

Harecastle is not hard at all, in my view, because all you have to do is stay away from the walls, knowing nobody will be coming the other way.

Did some chap not have some difficulty doing just that last year?

As I understand it he went in OK but did not come out again.

Summer holidays and we usually did Standedge bookings with about a week's notice.

You've had some great advice - fill your water tank before you go up the last set of locks. Lights on inside and curtains open. The pilots are brilliant; they will let you go at your pace, but we'd recommend above tickover as you need the steerage - normal cruising speed seems to do the trick. Hubby was similar times to Mac, but we've heard tales of people taking over 3 hours to get through with lots of bumping on the way.

There's a tap right by the tunnel entrance (East and west)