Frozen in - Pumpout full

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

I think it's just a pointless exercise.

And, it may or may not have damaged the blacking on my boat. One of the reasons I don't travel trough ice.

Martyn

I think one of those may have just gone past me, first time I have experienced it first hand, makes quite a noise!

We are planning to go to Aynho this weekend for some scheduled work next week, but I dont fancy 7 or so hours of ice breaking, so hoping it is going to melt before the morning, but guess that may be unlikely?

I think there's rain due tonight and that in turn keeps the temperature non icy.

I think you'll be okay. But I would like to add a disclaimer on that...............

Martyn.

Thanks, hope so as, ironically, the bulk of the work is to get the stove reinstalled and get diesel heating fitted!

Crap into a paper bag / cardboard box / paper bowl / newspaper and then chuck it on the fire

Wazz into a sacrificial pot. But don't pour it into the canal or down the sink till the ice has melted otherwise everyone will see what you been up to ;) Find a discreet spot under a bush.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

"Got me thinking - has anyones poo tank - or even their water tank ever actually frozen?"

The bus I drive has a toilet at the back. In minus 23 centigrade, yes, it's all frozen. Takes an hour with 2KW fan-heater inside freight hold at back, when bus is inside warm garage, to defrost. I'm the only one to use this loo, quite a luxury :)

Frozen waste falls from plane:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/frozen-waste-falls-plane-smashes-1743232

Mine did for the first time ever over Christmas. All the water pipes and u bends were too. It was minus one inside the boat when I got home after being away for Christmas. The water inside the loo bowl wasn't frozen so I was hopeful the loo was fine. However flushing it caused an unexpected waft of niff from the tank. I assume the pipes inside the tank or the breather pipe had frozen. It wasn't pleasant but was sorted when the boat warmed up.

Well like the title says, I'm frozen in & the pumpout is full. How the hell am I supposed to take a dump now?!? I knew I should have done it yesterday when it wasnt frozen, but I was busy (playing WoW, plus a few appointments).

popcorn.gif

Well like the title says, I'm frozen in & the pumpout is full. How the hell am I supposed to take a dump now?!? I knew I should have done it yesterday when it wasnt frozen, but I was busy (playing WoW, plus a few appointments).

popcorn.gif

This reminds me of why pumpout bogs are ridiculous on boats. Ive just bought another boat with a stupid pumpout on it. Last week we travelled 2 days before we found a pumpout place that was open and then the bloomin device was frozen solid with ice.

Why oh why do peeps never learn?

So as Im sick of ripping them out I am leaving this one in as a nice porcelain ornament and my proper bog is hopefully being delivered 2morro

as any one used/bought one of the plastic "collapsing" loos with the gel sachets ... thought about getting one for emergency use. Also I have a self pump out kit for sale ... only used once! ... No idea what to ask for it ....£30?

I have obtained a a pop-a-loo to trial. Haven't got around to using it yet though.

If I didn't think I could be disciplined enough to empty my pump out before it was full, I'd buy a Portapotti for those occasions. You could find somewhere to store it, and just get it out on the few occasions you aren't organised.

I've got a Thetford cassette job and bought an extra cassette, (3rd), to make sure I don't fall foul of bad planning.

"It's so nice to be at home during the winter months, looking forward to boating in better weather."

Yes, these tales of winter survival are not for the faint-of fart -heart and are beginning to become embellished into Ripping Yarns o' t'Cut.

Foxy's tip: if you wee into a plastic bottle you can pop it under the duvet for a while to warm your bed. Don't forget to twist the cap on.

Boating is lovely in winter, when the cut isn't clogged up with miserable and demandy fair weather boaters.

wink.png

MtB

Best time of the year. Two boats per week past me here. Bliss! No Dayglo jackets, lifejackets, dogs, kids, generators, engines or lad's boats, in sight for ages.

What do you do when the elsan point is frozen?

Put another cassette in, no one only has one lonely cassette or

put it the boot of the car and take elsewhere or

put on trolley and take it elsewhere etc etc

They rarely freeze up anyway unlike the very few and very far between if ever working pump out machines

Ive never seen anyone carry their twenty ton boat any where else to empty it.........

In my twenty six years this year Ive never had a problem with a proper bog but ooooooooo my god pumpouts are realy a bit of a joke

Edited by mrsmelly

Put another cassette in, no one only has one lonely cassette or

put it the boot of the car and take elsewhere or

put on trolley and take it elsewhere etc etc

They rarely freeze up anyway unlike the very few and very far between if ever working pump out machines

Ive never seen anyone carry their twenty ton boat any where else to empty it.........

In my twenty six years this year Ive never had a problem with a proper bog but ooooooooo my god pumpouts are realy a bit of a joke

They're nothing of the sort. They're a one-month-long cassette, if you want them to be. We haven't needed a pump out facility for years. We just do our own when we feel like it, and tip some down an Elsan occasionally, in the time it takes to fill our water tank.

I REALLY couldn't do with that every few days!

Edited by Loafer

;)

Oh, and you can always tell a boater in the pub because they ALWAYS use the loo before leaving!

One of the funniest things I remember is at the end of one banter (I think it was Lapworth) a huge queue for both the gents and the ladies at chucking out time!

Dave & I call it the walk of shame if you get back from the pub and then need the loo :D

• Greenie 1

Kept a spare portapotti under the bed for 6 years without using it so decided the space could be better used for storing other useless possessions.

Secret is to keep an eye on the weather forecast and never let the pump out get more than 2/3 full.

However

Left it a bit late at Hungerford, as we were only 500yds from pump out.

But....

Pump out not working and CaRT man who handles these things on holiday!!!!

Went to Bedwyn, pump out at Bedwyn also not working.

Firm phone call to CaRT, man on holiday no longer acceptable as excuse.

Good response from local CaRToffice and pumpout fixed next day!

Would have been rather nice to have excuse go to pub every night ... but always need a c**p in the mornings!

...........Dave

Kept a spare portapotti under the bed for 6 years without using it so decided the space could be better used for storing other useless possessions.

Secret is to keep an eye on the weather forecast and never let the pump out get more than 2/3 full.

However

Left it a bit late at Hungerford, as we were only 500yds from pump out.

But....

Pump out not working and CaRT man who handles these things on holiday!!!!

Went to Bedwyn, pump out at Bedwyn also not working.

Firm phone call to CaRT, man on holiday no longer acceptable as excuse.

Good response from local CaRToffice and pumpout fixed next day!

Would have been rather nice to have excuse go to pub every night ... but always need a c**p in the mornings!

...........Dave

For goodness' sake. All you pumpout gentlemen, just get yourselves a hand pump and a few bits. All pumpouts will now be free, and whenever you like!

• Greenie 1

For goodness' sake. All you pumpout gentlemen, just get yourselves a hand pump and a few bits. All pumpouts will now be free, and whenever you like!

Self pump-outs are frowned upon by some boaters.

The trouble with self pump-outs is they have a reputation for self pumping out all over the floor of the elsans. Lovely. There have been a few threads about it on here, with photos.

There is also a temptation, once the self pump out kit is on board, not to bother with slogging all the way up to the Elsan station...

So I'm told anyway.

MtB