BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Well it kept the boat in the right place for 10 days, so in my book that is good mooring!

Is there a certain way these things are supposed to be done?

Tidily? Carefully?

Richard

Do you always loop the line round the tiller then?

Nope never, but then I've never moored in a marina before, let alone moored backwards first or whatever you call it. Someone suggested the rope over the tiller would hold the rudder agaist the boat so it couldn't get whacked against the wall or something like that. Ultimately, if the boat is still in the same place I left it, I couldn't care less what the lines look like.

Well it kept the boat in the right place for 10 days, so in my book that is good mooring!

Like Reginald's, perhaps? :D

But then I made that up too, copying the next baot along....

MtB

Not questioning your knot tying skills Junior, but what if the other ropes slip and the movement of the boat causes all of the strain to be on the line attached to the tiller? Unlikely I know, but several tons of boat pulling on the tiller might cause some damage to the tiller and or the stock (is that the correct name for the bit that connects to the rudder?). I think I would use a separate short piece of rope, secured to one or both of the dollies, if I wanted to prevent the tiller moving.

John

Not questioning your knot tying skills Junior, but what if the other ropes slip and the movement of the boat causes all of the strain to be on the line attached to the tiller? Unlikely I know, but several tons of boat pulling on the tiller might cause some damage to the tiller and or the stock (is that the correct name for the bit that connects to the rudder?). I think I would use a separate short piece of rope, secured to one or both of the dollies, if I wanted to prevent the tiller moving.

John

Get a grip, this is static water in a basin!

(Besides, Junior's boat was fine last weekend whilst I tested the new injectors in REGINALD's engine moored alongside, on full power for half an hour.... laugh.png )

MtB

John

There wasn't a spare piece of rope available so we just looped the spare end of the line around the tiller after the boat had been securely tied up rather than leaving it coiled neatly on the counter.

To hold the rudder over when mooring stern on, attach a line through the hole in the sticky up bit of the rudder and run it forward and tie off at a suitable point.

Or if you don't have another line available, just hook the loose end of the stern line over the tiller and pull tight, as per my photo.

Or if you don't have another line available, just hook the loose end of the stern line over the tiller and pull tight, as per my photo.

Na, that just does not look right and you get mocked on Internet forums for doing it. even though it does the job fine.

Perhaps you could stock up on some lengths of rope in different sizes, they are always useful if you are doing things outside of the run of the mill boating

Richard

My home mooring is with my stern directly against the pontoon, just like Albion. The boat next to me is secured by one rope, tied round the bottom of the swans neck. Why? Because that's all there is to tie to! Don't believe me- then come and look! It's stopped the boat floating away but it doesn't stop the creaky tiller from groaning as it swings around in the wind.

On the boat's man's cabin?

No, we don't have a BMC, we have a BETA.

Ps as in side string on the rear of the cabin, not the rear cabin! (Do you have them on the front of the cabin? Not sure, but we have strings on SMH's famous upside down front bulkhead rings too.)

Never seen side strings on bulkhead rings before, but all sorts of strange sights are commonly seen these days. As well as being decorative, they were used to hold a long coiled line in a convenient, accessible position for the steerer. Turks heads were useful fenders, keeping wooden surfaces apart, the butty tiller being a good example. Much rope work in trading days had a dual function.

Dave

• Greenie 1

For those who may be unaware, the purpose of cabin strings:

14351550632_d549eb566c_c.jpg

I was told by Ken Nelson the position of the strings helps the rope (Cotton in working boat days) dry out with the heat from the stove.

One string held the rope, the other two kept the wet rope off the cabin side.

14166532158_42a5b0b8ce_c.jpg

PS. With deference to a recent thread the photo's are mine, not nicked from anywhere else. smile.png

PPS. If ever I drooled over any boats it was this pair.

Edited by Ray T

I didn't know that, thank you Ray

Anyone at Hawne Basin on Monday morning would have seen Andy on Dove demonstrating the use of the cabin rings as he turned out of his mooring.

Richard

For those who may be unaware, the purpose of cabin strings:

14351550632_d549eb566c_c.jpg

I was told by Ken Nelson the position of the strings helps the rope (Cotton in working boat days) dry out with the heat from the stove.

One string held the rope, the other two kept the wet rope off the cabin side.

Whilst not disputing this may be true, surely if it wetre generally so, you might expect to se some historic pictures showing this usage.

I can't recall ever having seen one - I have seen the line tied there, but not I think using these "strings".

(Someone will of course now post such a picture!)

Whilst not disputing this may be true, surely if it wetre generally so, you might expect to se some historic pictures showing this usage.

I can't recall ever having seen one - I have seen the line tied there, but not I think using these "strings".

(Someone will of course now post such a picture!)

"Your starter for 10"

14167554770_2fe37c16b5_c.jpg

Edited by Ray T