BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

The delay in obtaining the results is not good.

It is time to change the system so that the results are available quickly. Each boat should know its nominal placing to date within 30 mins of finishing, and the running placings should be available throughout the afternoon/ evening as the final boats come in.

That means each boat must do its own scoring and that means that they need to be given the answers to questions on arrival & be trusted not to phone them to not-yet-finishers. It also means the log needs to be redrafted to be much more user friendly.

A big increase in trust will be required.

It is a bit early to require all competitors to be online for the finish but that day will come and make it much easier to administrate.

Perhaps early finishers should be called upon to help? The present system may have served well in the past but it now needs improving.

But waiting for the results is the fun bit, who did what questions on this forum, "my boat did more locks and we went backwards through Gosty tunnel".

:)

It is time to change the system so that the results are available quickly. Each boat should know its nominal placing to date within 30 mins of finishing, and the running placings should be available throughout the afternoon/ evening as the final boats come in.

That means each boat must do its own scoring and that means that they need to be given the answers to questions on arrival & be trusted not to phone them to not-yet-finishers. It also means the log needs to be redrafted to be much more user friendly.

It is a bit early to require all competitors to be online for the finish but that day will come and make it much easier to administrate.

Perhaps early finishers should be called upon to help? The present system may have served well in the past but it now needs improving.

Why the rush? For us, it was the competing, not the winning, that was important. I'd like to know the results at some point, but it doesn't matter when.

As we made up half the field, any thoughts on how the forum could help out next year?

I wondered if people would like to become spotter boats - moor up in suitable locations (Anglesey, Pelsall, Gas Street, Windmill end -those kind of places) and note the times of boats arriving there. Spotter boats would quit in time to get to the designated finish. Maybe getting a stamp/signature/something could be an alternative to the questions

I also wondered about how more IT could be used in the process without it becoming a turn-off for competitors

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Have you remembered that this is run by a very small number of VOLUNTEERS, in their own time, of their own free-will?

They will get the results done as soon as they are able, and not before!

Perhaps next year you would like to offer your help in running the event?

I can't help feeling we are all at fault by so many of us deciding to take part.

I look forward to an NBW article saying how CWDF have muscled in in a quite unreasonable manner.

2014 MARATHON CHALLENGE RESULTS

POSITION ENTRANT BOAT NAME POINTS

1 MICHEAL PINNOCK CLOVER 454.14

2 RICHARD POWELL TAWNY OWL 416

3 SUE COOK INDIGO DREAM 409.14

4 TOM MURKIN DIESEL AND DUST 409

5 BARNABY BALL HAMPSTEAD 400

6 ANDREW HOYLE DOVE 383.47

7 JOHN MOSLEY FIREFLY 371.14

8 MARTIN CATTERALL ALBION 354.84

9 ANN BELL PANATHA 347.14

10 NICKY HARVEY PECKHAM POPPY 345.26

11 LEWYS MORGAN BOGWOPPIT 335.43

12 ALAN FINCHER CHALIS 330

13 DAVE PAYNE BEAU 321.71

14 NICK NORMAN TELEMATCHUS 319.27

15 CHARLEY JOHNSTON FELONIOUS MONGOOSE 316.43

16 STEVE GREEN GOOSANDER 304.63

17 STUART MAKEMSON RED WHARF 296.56

18 PAUL CALLENDER DENRY 291.5

19 MICK ANSON JOANNA AND NO 37 285.14

20 SANDRA WILLIS GOLDEN BOYZ 280.31

21 PAUL ROE OUR LITTLE NIGHTMARE 253.86

22 IAN HARTLEY MORE-JAM 251.26

23 RAY OAKHILL STRONGHOLD 241.29

24 BENEDICT TODD BLUE NUN 222.14

25 DAVID LAWS IONA 220.5

26 DOUG SWAIN MOMENTS 220.43

27 JOHN KELLY NOTOS 220

28 RICHARD LACEY RYLAND 215.03

29 JILL REYNOLDS ALCHEMY 214.64

30 JEFF BAILEY CRANE 208.47

31 PIOTR KUKFK MVCL 207.57

32 IAN HINDLE THE CAT WHO WALKS BY HIMSELF 189.09

33 DARREN MATTHEWS CARPE VINUM 177.29

34 CHRIS CLEGG BALABOR 163.71

35 MIKE BRYANT REGINALD 144.25

36 JOHN HAMMOND MUSKRAT 112

37 LYNNE ROBINSON NOGA LOUISE 106.25

38 JILL SHEPHERD COBBITT 67.77

39 LAURIE BOOTH CLARIE 45

Edited by alan_fincher

I guessed correctly - I thought "Clover" might do it, but well done to "Tawny Owl" team for running them a (reasonably close) close second.

A boat treated as 80 feet, (even a deep draughted one), is going to be hard to beat if those crewing it are determined, and Michael isn't one to hang about, I think!

Well done to the winners. Jeff wants me to say that not only did he come up with the Gosty Ogre runner-up name, but also they've mis-spelt it - should be "Gosty Gonghoulzler".

Next year we shall have to stay the pace and not wimp out with 2 hrs to go. We should have gone up to Bradley, that would have given us another 17 points or so.

Well done to the winners. Jeff wants me to say that not only did he come up with the Gosty Ogre runner-up name, but also they've mis-spelt it - should be "Gosty Gonghoulzler".

Well I suppose I'm biased, (obviously!), but I actually thought "Hawne Ted", which David came up with, at least as good as the winning entry in the tunnel ghost naming!

Puzzled that Reginald managed to do so well though

Richard

I thought the same.

Well done Team Albion on a top 10 finish, I think that is respectable for a first attempt on a short boat.

Well done Clover, I have no problem losing to them

I'll filter it down and do a forum result later

It would be interesting if he results sheet actually showed the boat length - a very major factor in the score you can hope to achieve.

Boat "Firefly" owned by forum member John6767 moored next to us at Hawne basin, and seemed to be about the same as us (50 feet).

If I'm correct, other than "Indigo Dream", (probably at least 60 feet?), he is the highest placed (at 7th) with a boat significantly shorter than 70 feet. I'm guessing he will have covered just as many miles and/or locks as the highest placed teams, so well done John!

CWDF BCN Challenge 2014

Clover 454.14 - sarahavfc, M589, Daniel

Team Tawny Owl 416 - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairie, Richard Parry, Statto Dave, Swimmin' Rob Jacob

Indigo Dream 409.14 - Assorted greyhounds, RichardN, Greygal, The Synth Prof, Famous Knees Christine, Sue

Diesel and Dust 409 - Tom and Bex

Hampstead 400 - Team Hamster! Tiggers

Dove 383.47 - Dove

Firefly 371.14 - John6767, Sally

Albion 354.84- Junior, Rob-M, Captain Fizz (CEO), Matty40s(ships cat)

Peckham Poppy 345.26 - AMY, Odana, Black Beauty, Keeping Up, Father-Bill-from-Auckland

Chalice 330 - Puking ODIN, Alan, Cath & David Fincher

Beau 321.71 - Dave_P, 'Pound-drainer' Louise, Tall Blair, Tea-girl Lou

Telemachus 319.27 - nicknorman, Jeff, Chris

Team Red Wharf 296.56 - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Denry 291.5 - Bella Basset, Paul C, little duck!

Golden Boyz 280.31 - Golden Boyz (Sandra, Sally & Alan)

Stronghold 241.29 - Oakie, Barry Adams and "Mouse"

Iona 220.5 - MILLIE!, Ange, Davel, Divum Draconis

NB Ryeland 215.03 - Richard, Anne and Stephen Lacey

Crane 208.47 - Geoff Bailey

MVCL 207.57 - System 4-50

The Cat Who Walks By Himself 189.09 - Nine of Hearts, Sis and Bro in law

Carpe Vinum 177.29 - Kustomcut

Reginald 144.25 - Mike the Boilerman, Tree Monkey

Cobbett 67.77 - Wrigglefingers, Starcoaster, Katie, Feral Mattress

Clarrie 45 - LaurieB

The Moorhen DNR - Mike & Jane

Richard