BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Ok you asked for it...

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac philosopher? Stayed awake all night wondering if there was a dog.

MtB

He also spent the night wondering where the sun had gone - then suddenly it dawned on him!

You can learn a lot from John's video. Like how efficient his lock crew are, where to put your boat while waiting for a lock, setting down and picking up crew

Dunno why his lock crew knocked off while he was clearing the prop though - I can usually have the weedhatch back on as the gates open tongue.png

I do think the rules need to change again for next year though - you shouldn't have to do popular bits of the BCN like Farmer's Bridge to be competitive

Richard

Maybe Farmers Bridge Locks are necessary to get down Ashted & into Typhoo Basin then Garrison. The only option there is to start at the Aston Science Park, do the Ashted, Garrison then Perry Barr.

I too would like to thank you all. I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread and had a great time watching some competitors in Birmingham. I think its great you all do it. Love the idea of lots of boats on the magnificent, historic canal system, the bcn is.

Too scared of gosty hill to enter this year. Now if the finish is on the Bradley arm next.....

Bradley Arm finish 2015 ........Well nothing stopping you then!!

• 1 month later...

Further to post #1924 I've found this:

14515506827_2d832e3c39_z.jpg

Not only shows cabin strings in use but a shiney thing on the rudder / tiller stock.

Plus a brass ring where the tiller fits on the swans neck.

Picture is a still from BTF "Inland Waterways 1950"

ETA. Who was the painter of the Roses & Castles?

Edited by Ray T

Interesting.

The butty appears to be lettered in Gothic blackletter, used by Thos Clayton, the bulk liquid carriers. If it is a Clayton butty, why is it paired with what appears to be a standard BW motor?

Love the brass gas mask bag chimney chain !

Cheers

Dave

The butty appears to be lettered in Gothic blackletter, used by Thos Clayton, the bulk liquid carriers. If it is a Clayton butty, why is it paired with what appears to be a standard BW motor?

Cheers

Dave

The butty is exF.M.C. Ltd. UXBRIDGE, fleet number 208. UXBRIDGE had been docked by F.M.C. Ltd., Uxbridge in July 1948, only a few months prior to being sold to B.T.C. (D. & I.W.E.).

The motor is exF.M.C. Ltd. BRIAR 330, and is carrying the first 'British Waterways' livery having been docked at Uxbridge in April 1949. The Steerer of this pair changed in the later half of 1949 from B. Berrill to S. Beechey.