BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

lol, wew were told on our way home that it was law that we HAD to slow down for fishermen, we adjusted our throttle accordingly (to go a little quicker so as to inconvienence them less- they could get their rods back in the way water more quickly then!)

Edited by little duck!

lol, wew were told on our way home that it was law that we HAD to slow down for fishermen, we adjusted our throttle accordingly (to go a little quicker so as to inconvienence them less- they could get their rods back in the way water more quickly then!)

On the Sunday of the Challenge there were a load of miserable maggot danglers just short of Caggy's.

One shouted 'Can't you go any faster mate?'. I think he thought he was being sarcastic but I took him up on his suggestion.

biggrin.pngtongue.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

On the Sunday of the Challenge there were a load of miserable maggot danglers just short of Caggy's.

One shouted 'Can't you go any faster mate?'. I think he thought he was being sarcastic but I took him up on his suggestion.

biggrin.pngtongue.pngbiggrin.png

Nice to see him showing such concern, he knew you were not going fast enough to make Hawne Basin by 2PM!

OK,

Not that we are expecting to be very highly placed, but......

Is there any indication yet when we might expect some results, please?

i asked this yesterday. Put it this way, I'm not hoping to get the figures in time for my deadline of next Wednesday, based on what Brenda said.

My take on the Challenge:

I started out from around Coven to do the Wolverhampton 21 on Thursday, having been warned off starting the Challenge from the bottom, at 04:00am. It was a complete surprise!. I was expecting industrial wasteland along the 21 but it was green & pleasant, (being careful not to look in the direction of the Council Refuse Incinerator) and it was a breeze.

I was joined by one of my sons whose broken shoulder had improved to the point where he could manage the tiller but not do locks and this was easily achieved since the VM is almost close enough to the Wolverhampton mainline station to hear the station announcements. I particularly liked the VM which has no pedestrian access.

We started from W top lock and went directly to Catshill Junction, ignoring the arms because of the weather, and then to Rushall Junction, Thame Valley, Pudding Green Junction, and directly to Hawne Basin. All of the route was very pleasant apart from Thame Valley which was full of junk, and where we were overtaken by a high-speed, probably supersonic, blur, that is rumoured to be Tawney Owl. My excuse for going slowly here is that I didn't want to wake my passenger at about 06:00.

We totalled about 37 miles 18(?) locks 3 floating fridges - and 1 full-sized almost completely submerged tractor tyre. We got stuff around the prop 4 times, lost it by reversing 3 times, and ignored the fourth including its irritating flapping noise for several hours until it wore out. Visits to the weed hatch - nil. The heavy hailstorm hits us before we could do the last of a flight of 9 locks but I was dressed for the purpose (clue: orange) unlike some of my neighbours in the flight!

For complete beginners out just for fun, we enjoyed it very much, including the gathering at Hawne Basin, which was scary as we had never been involved with manouvering(?) in a small space with lots of other boats but with so many helpful bodies about, it was easy.

Would I do it again? It that weather, rain, rain, and more rain, no. In good weather, yes.

Overall impressions? Progress is slow as the canals are so shallow. And Birmingham is a prison with the good guys on the inside. On the 21 there were some premises that had fancy iron fencing set in brick piers, and over the top substantial iron angle had been crudely bolted on to accommodate rolls of barbed wire and this was typical of everywhere. Everywhere there were threats of CCTV coverage. Even here in London it is nowhere near that bad.

On the way home (to Nantwich) we encountered a complete pallet in Netherton tunnel, empty pounds (3 & 14) on the 21 due to a log wedged in a "closed" paddle, and a stuck gate at Tyrely 5 which C&RT sorted out.

Would I recommend having a go to somebody who is relatively inexperienced as we were? Certainly.