BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Right, as chief pundit, I have the following on the CWDF Handicap Challenge 2014

Most Improved boat was tricky to judge this year. Tawny Owl dropped one place, Diesel and Dust and Red Wharf two, Firefly three, The Cat who walks by Himself twelve, Clarrie seventeen and Cobbett a spectacular twenty eight. This award is being held over until next year, Standards Must Improved!

Sir, I must protest. 20th out of 22 boats to 32nd out of 39 doth not a 12 place drop make. We actually make a bit of an effort and this is how we are rewarded? Considering all the other boats on that list dropped places, or finished pretty much where they were last year, I think we are the quite clearly the most improved boat, going from 3rd from bottom to 8th. If your dodgy maths seeks to deprive us of that, then fair enough. We race as independents next year. Hmph!

Thank you, it was nice to be the only 60' boat in the top 6! Just need a better route next time!

Whilst talking fundraising do also have a look at the Carpe Vinum page here: http://www.justgiving.com/BCN-Challenge, Darren is just a few pounds shy of his target and I believe he still has bottle of whisky to give away as described here!!! Surely anyone that goes round the BCN in a plastic boat with an inflatable sofa on the front deserves some sponsorship.

Hi All, I actually gave the bottle of Whiskey away on that afternoon to the boat we were moored against, so sorry it has all gone now, we are still just shy of our £500 target but hoping to hit it over the next couple of weeks.

The sofa on the front is actually a beanbag not an inflatable but still yes I may go for a 2 seater next year, I was pretty happy with our score as we are a 20ft boat so .57 points per mile means we would need to circumnavigate the whole BCN twice in order to get the same score as the longer boats, something the outboard is probably capable of but that would get me disqualified from speeding :)

Really enjoyed it and will be back next year.

Right, as chief pundit, I have the following on the CWDF Handicap Challenge 2014

Twenty five forum boats ran in 2014, against ten last year. The total field of runners in the whole challenge this year was thirty nine

Of last years ten forum boats, only seven competed this year, so that's eighteen new BCN Challenge boats from the forum - well sort of, Dove has competed before. Congratulations to all new competitors, you managed to cover nearly all parts of the result sheet

Best new entry is, of course Clover - although her crew are far from being BCN virgins (guess where SarahAVFC lives). Indigo Dream managed to rack up a very respectable score, moving the boat between walkies for the greyhounds, I hope their appeal went well and raise lots of money

In the Battle of the Boat Builders, Steve Hudson (represented by Telemachus) narrowly beats Barry Hawkins (Red Wharf) whilst the Dave Harris entry (Cobbett) was severely hampered by tea and mutiny

In the rusty bucket Historic boat category, working boats took first (Clover), fifth (Hampstead), sixth (Dove), nineteenth (Crane) and twenty third (Reginald). I have no idea whether that makes them an advantage or not - I love seeing them around the BCN. Once people see reason, Tawny Owl will be firmly near the top of that group

Most Improved boat was tricky to judge this year. Tawny Owl dropped one place, Diesel and Dust and Red Wharf two, Firefly three, The Cat who walks by Himself twelve, Clarrie seventeen and Cobbett a spectacular twenty eight. This award is being held over until next year, Standards Must Improved!

I am discounting The Moorhen from the Wooden Spoon category, not starting certainly ensures a low score, but I feel doesn't really adhere to the spirit of the competition. Veteran competitor The Cat came fifth, not being able to follow his usual strategy of overnighting at The Manor Arms because we nicked his mooring. New entry Carpe Vinum came fourth - a good effort by new entrants. Incidentally, Carpe Vinum win the Coolest Boat on the Cut category for the inflatable chair on the foredeck. Watching the crew gazing lovingly into each others eyes as they cruised out of Hawne Basin was one of my memorable moments of 2014. I feel I may have hampered Reginald leaving him in third place, by attempting to fill in their entry form for them. Throwing themselves on the mercy of the judges by submitting a blank set of forms with a note of apology is a strategy to watch for the future, although I fear that the scrutineers may outlaw it. Team Cobbett comes a creditable second with a strategy based on sleeping, tea, lunch, cheese and throwing caution to the wind. This is another strong strategy with winning potential in this class. And in first place, taking not only the CWDF Wooden Spoon again, but also the BCN Challenge last place with a magnificent 45 points is Clarrie. Congratulations to Laurie B on his effort, including a route with an improbable two locks - only one of which scores. This is world class stuff

There were several entries in the Pets on Boats category. Puking Odin on Chalice managed a magnificent performance on the Titford flight. Bella Basset on Denry had a very nice time with several walks, dodgy knees not withstanding. Golden Boyz golden boys stopped the boat at Windmill End as the running after sticks opportunities were much better than at Hawne Basin. Forum favourite Millie ably guided the crew of Iona through to Hawne Basin as she had heard that Unkle Richard would be there and there might be chips. However, the winner in this category has to be Amy on Peckham Poppy because she is a cat - I like cats!

So congratulations to everyone from the forum, including Albion (a creditable CWDF seventh place for this competitive crew), Beau hampered by 'pound-drainer' Louise - I believe there will be an investigation into any possible connection between Louise and the Walsall flight incident, Stronghold who made a graceful entry into Hawne Basin, Ryeland (one of the Wolverhampton ascent starters that decide us on relocating on Friday night) and MVCL, unfortunately washed onto the towpath on the Tame Valley by a passing Tawny Owl

It's been an epic year - let's do it again!

Richard

Loved reading the above, however the bit highlighted in red please tell me the Loving Gazing comment was not aimed at Carpe Vinum as the 2 on board crew other than myself were my daughters!! My youngest who left an hour after we arrived (16 this year), and my eldest the sofa sitter who is 18 this year.

Eldest will do again next year, youngest will take much bribing to do again.

People seem to think that punditry is somehow an accurate or worthwhile activity - I refer you to the CWDF Handicap rule book:

Rule1: The judges decision is futile

Thank you

Richard

icecream.gif

Can I just say how much I have enjoyed this thread. Many thanks to all the competitors who showed their friendly rivalry in the nicest possible way and well done to you all for doing the challenge and keeping the rest of us entertained for months. If this thread has inspired others to take part in the future it will have helped the BCN, one of my favourite areas of canals.

Haggis

I agree it has been totally galling for Team REGINALD to have the Wooden Spoon award so cruelly snatched from us.

As the hightlight of the trip being the most excellent bottle of Tamdhu single malt scotch Tree Monket produced, the only time we perused the score sheet was at the Hawne Basin bash afterwards, when we idly wondered what it said.

It would have seemed rude to submit nothing so Monkey put put a nice note to the judges explaining we'd forgotten. RLWP however, interrogated us fiercely but we had very little recollection of where we'd actually been. However, he wrote down on our score sheet all the stuff we made up under his incisive questioning leading us to score an embarrassingly high 114 points, or something.

Next year I think we'll start from the finish line. That way we'll get there before Laurie and cruise fewer miles. THAT should secure the Wooden Spoon Award, shouldn't it?

MtB

I agree it has been totally galling for Team REGINALD to have the Wooden Spoon award so cruelly snatched from us.

As the hightlight of the trip being the most excellent bottle of Tamdhu single malt scotch Tree Monket produced, the only time we perused the score sheet was at the Hawne Basin bash afterwards, when we idly wondered what it said.

It would have seemed rude to submit nothing so Monkey put put a nice note to the judges explaining we'd forgotten. RLWP however, interrogated us fiercely but we had very little recollection of where we'd actually been. However, he wrote down on our score sheet all the stuff we made up under his incisive questioning leading us to score an embarrassingly high 114 points, or something.

Next year I think we'll start from the finish line. That way we'll get there before Laurie and cruise fewer miles. THAT should secure the Wooden Spoon Award, shouldn't it?

MtB

Not necessarily, there are points available for being at the finish point before the finish time. You could strategically moor close, but not at the, finish line, then arrive at 5pm (like you did this time). Then not hand the log in on time, thus ensuring the least points.

MtB

I'll have to rethink my strategy

:)

I too would like to thank you all. I have thoroughly enjoyed the thread and had a great time watching some competitors in Birmingham. I think its great you all do it. Love the idea of lots of boats on the magnificent, historic canal system, the bcn is.

Too scared of gosty hill to enter this year. Now if the finish is on the Bradley arm next.....

According to an email received from the organisers today......

Since the results and answers were published yesterday a competitor raised a query regarding the answer to the Treasure Hunt clue at Wolverhampton Top lock

Roy has revisited the 'scene' this afternoon and confirmed that the Damsel fly at Stop 3 is the correct answer

Having said that he has established that there is a further damsel fly at Stop number 2 at the top lock and as a result we have decided to award the 5 points to any competitor who had the 'alternative' answer

Roy has checked all the sheets and it effects 5 competitors. They have been awarded an additional 5 points and the revised results are attached

The revision has resulted in a couple of 'promotions' in the bottom half of the table

We would like to apologise for this but who would have thought there would be 2 damsel flies so close together

Have any forum members lost out, or benefited from any place swappings this caused?

Very well done to the winners, and from us thanks to the organisers. It is great to take part in this, and hopefully with the publicity gained this does it's part in promoting the BCN, and getting others to cruise it, which after all is the real purpose behind this. Despite the weather we did enjoy ourselves, and the reception at Hawne Basin was fantastic, and made such a big difference.

On a personal note, 7th place was initially disappointing, it is the worst placed we have been in our 4 attempts, but we got the points that I was expecting having slightly bettered our plan on the day. Apart from having thrown 15 points away on incorrect clue answers, I don't think there is any more that we could have done. I think I am correct in that all the boats placed higher than us are longer than us (50ft), our route had 83 locks as that got us 20 points or so more than a leisurely 38 lock route, but it was still not enough, to counter the length factor on distance.

Just a thought .... there were 39 entrants this year compared to 20 last. It's your points that count! You did extremely well!! clapping.gif

Just a thought .... there were 39 entrants this year compared to 20 last. It's your points that count! You did extremely well!! clapping.gif

Yes I agree that it is personal points that counts, I have got over it, and having looked again it was only 11 points we lost on incorrect clue answers!

What would be good would be if the results listed the boat (effective) length, then you can see how you came against similar boats, that is assuming the same scoring scheme is to be used going forward.

Beau also had a pet on board. Probably the most beautiful yet elusive and lazy competitor on the challenge - my cat Cassie.

Never! Amy will win any laziness competitions fatbelly down. And was on the official crew list, so vows she will fight to keep the only award she has ever won.

She offered no handicaps due to escape attempts like other competing cats. Far too much effort! She spent nearly the entire challenge in the airing cupboard testing the (in)efficiency of the calorifier lagging. Somehow though she worked as a very effective mealtime alarm clock.

The bonus points aren't very generous ...

I'm not bothering with points next year. Too much hassle. I intend to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilisations. To boldly go where my boat ain't never been before.