CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

OT: I can see everybody's avatar except Mr. Pink's. Is this a fault on my computer, or is Chris simply not displaying an avatar at the mo'?

Hasn't been visible for weeks, no fault at your end - more likely a broken link to one hosted on line somewhere.

As Chris is a web designer, AIUI, is this a case of the plumber's tap?

Or the mechanics car?

My theory is he looks in mostly on his phone and he hasn't even noticed.

If you use the mobile version of the forum or the app. avatars don't show next to your posts, rather your profile picture does (if you have one).

Just a thought, how much is a fitted fake rivet. I do like a Brunellian look :lol:

This is clear from your avatar!

I think I read on here of a boatbuilder charging £5 each for fake rivets, but that seemed a bit cheap to me given the work involved in crafting them.

Probably about the same amount of work in a fake one as in a real one actually...

MtB

I think I read on here of a boatbuilder charging £5 each for fake rivets, but that seemed a bit cheap to me given the work involved in crafting them.

Probably about the same amount of work in a fake one as in a real one actually...

MtB

The biggest amount of work by far with real rivets is in the preparation.

I suppose you could fit 'real' rivets which don't do anything, just closed around a single thickness ;)

Tim

MtB

I did wonder, and that would have been my point, why have false if real was as cheap, although appreciated they're doing nothing. Also are Rivets a bit of a rust trap, i would imaging real ones would be so tight that paint would seal from water ingress, not sure how fake ones are fited though.

OT: I can see everybody's avatar except Mr. Pink's. Is this a fault on my computer, or is Chris simply not displaying an avatar at the mo'?

No, it's been broke for ages

Richard

I did wonder, and that would have been my point, why have false if real was as cheap, although appreciated they're doing nothing. Also are Rivets a bit of a rust trap, i would imaging real ones would be so tight that paint would seal from water ingress, not sure how fake ones are fited though.

A problem with real rivets is that they are of slightly different metallurgy to the plates, so after a century or so the ‘head’ of the rivets corrodes below the surface of the plate, and weeping leaks start – not only because of the ‘shrunk’ rivet itself, but also because the plates are no longer gripped together tightly.

Just to be clear - they are not of themselves a rust trap [because they are indeed so tight], it is rather that they perform as sacrificial anodes. Ring-welding the decayed head helps, but then they no longer look ‘genuine’ of course. As the problem only applies below waterline, few would be concerned I suppose, from the 'artistic' angle at any rate.

I asked him about this some time ago - didn't get a reply so assumed his in box for PMs was not working either.

Dave

Now that is weird -

But when Dave responded it said

I always suspected they were one and the same...... :lol:

Edited by The Dog House

A problem with real rivets is that they are of slightly different metallurgy to the plates, so after a century or so the 'head' of the rivets corrodes below the surface of the plate, and weeping leaks start – not only because of the 'shrunk' rivet itself, but also because the plates are no longer gripped together tightly.

Just to be clear - they are not of themselves a rust trap [because they are indeed so tight], it is rather that they perform as sacrificial anodes. Ring-welding the decayed head helps, but then they no longer look 'genuine' of course. As the problem only applies below waterline, few would be concerned I suppose, from the 'artistic' angle at any rate.

Interesting I didn't know any of that :cheers: I think they look better on bridges anyway.

Of course if Brunel was alive today all would be welded.

I wonder what designs he would have come up with had welding been available back then.

Interesting I didn't know any of that :cheers: I think they look better on bridges anyway.

Of course if Brunel was alive today all would be welded.

I wonder what designs he would have come up with had welding been available back then.

Exactly! Who would want a boat held together by rivets when you could have a welded one? Riveting is a bit like spot welding, there is a join in a few points, the waterproof-ness of the rest of it relies on the plate not bending (or being bent in a bump) and maybe some gunge between the plates.

Boats with decorative fake rivets have them just for that purpose - decoration, just like all the other styling features of a modern narrowboat including multicoloured paint job. If you designed a boat for pure functionality, no-one would buy it.

Exactly! Who would want a boat held together by rivets when you could have a welded one?

Who would want to buy a boat when they could live in a house?

Do not assume there is any logic in buying a boat

Richad

Exactly! Who would want a boat held together by rivets when you could have a welded one? Riveting is a bit like spot welding, there is a join in a few points, the waterproof-ness of the rest of it relies on the plate not bending (or being bent in a bump) and maybe some gunge between the plates.

Boats with decorative fake rivets have them just for that purpose - decoration, just like all the other styling features of a modern narrowboat including multicoloured paint job. If you designed a boat for pure functionality, no-one would buy it.

Do both, simples!

Well would you like to fly a helicopter that was spot welded together instead of riveted?

There is no structural similarity between a rivet and a spot weld except they hold 2 bits together.

• Greenie 1

But what can CRT do ? There's two boats on the lock moorings and winding hole at Bath , they've been there for more than two months causing problems for other boaters . CRT knows , puts polite notices on them , but they are still there . I'm genuinely interested in the process , how do you move them ?

CRT have the power's to move boat's,and it's about time they got off their lazy arse's and enforced the power they have.

Well would you like to fly a helicopter that was spot welded together instead of riveted?

There is no structural similarity between a rivet and a spot weld except they hold 2 bits together.

Ah, you have a boat named after a helicopter, you must know something about it. The helicopter I fly is partly structurally composite - ie plastic, or held together with superglue as I like to tell the passengers. But at least the gluing is a continuous line of bonding, a bit like welding! However I will have to give you that a good bit of it is riveted, but its a lightweight aluminium structure and aluminium welding is not only tricky, but heavier that rivets. On a helicopter, waterproof-ness is not an issue (just as well because it leaks like a sieve as soon as it rains) whereas weight is. On a narrowboat, weight is not really an issue but waterproof -ness is! Horses for courses.

Or horses for narrowboats- oh no, you don't like THAT bit of history, too messy and unpredictable. You just like the idea of selective bits of history like real riveted boats!

Who would want to buy a boat when they could live in a house?

Do not assume there is any logic in buying a boat

Richad

I would. I have bought a boat but live in a house. Best of both worlds!

Edited by nicknorman

Fake rivets are not actually rivets but washers, hence that classic name for boats sporting them, "washer Joshers".

The washer is welded on from its inside and then a domed head built up over the weld. This leaves the washers outside edge clean and distinct which any form of welding on this edge would destroy.

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks to mr Norman, this thread has been turned into a washer thread.

Happy cruising everybody, and blame lack of access to services and moorings on those blasted rivets and washers eh :rolleyes:

I think you should declare your hand here! ;)

Seriously though, starting a 'name and shame' thread, but then not wanting to actually talk (nicely we hope) to the people involved and give them a chance, it's not likely to lead to a sensible conclusion, is it? :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete
  • Greenie 1

Didn't think there were laundry facilities at Fradley!

Yep, by the pub. So you can wash your smalls and have a pint while you wait... :D

Nev NB Percy (On its offline Fradley mooring)

Fake rivets are not actually rivets but washers, hence that classic name for boats sporting them, "washer Joshers".

The washer is welded on from its inside and then a domed head built up over the weld. This leaves the washers outside edge clean and distinct which any form of welding on this edge would destroy.

George ex nb Alton retired

I learned something today. Thanks for that.