CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

So you can make comments that presumably were meant to be humorous about boats from up north but you can't take a bit of ribbing about the fact you have a Hudson, a design some on here find a tad idiosyncratic to put it mildly.

Handsome boats, Steve Hudsons. Trouble is, after he's built them, some jerk sneaks in and sticks washers on them.

ETA the boat is in a slightly different place in the 1st non-snowy photo, vs the second snowy one, though only by a few feet. In the snowy photo, they are definitely "on the services" but how long had they been there? In the non-snowy photo I would question whether they are in fact blocking access to the services in any practical way.

The boat hasn't moved since I arrived, not even a foot.

I could not moor a 70ft on the waterpoint without having to walk down my gunnels to access the bank. In the challenging winds that we have had, this was unacceptable.

Regardless of that fact, it is sheer ignorance and selfishness from the "nice" folks in that boat to be moored where they are. I have some oil soaked rags to chuck in the bins tommorow, I look forward to breasting up and crossing the "obstruction" to reach the bins..

The boat hasn't moved since I arrived, not even a foot.

The photos tell a different story. The bow is clearly not beyond the white building in the 1st one, well beyond it in the second one. The crane is roughly 1/3 way down the boat in 1st one, nearly at the stern in second one.

Edited by nicknorman

Maybe another boater moved it if it was obstructing access. Or possibly optical illusions occur all around the boat and not just on the bow :wacko:

Spoooooooky :lol:

ETA

Or Hudson boats distort time and relative dimensions in Space, Damned I would have bought one if that was the case :lol:

Edited by Julynian

ETA the boat is in a slightly different place in the 1st non-snowy photo, vs the second snowy one, though only by a few feet. In the snowy photo, they are definitely "on the services" but how long had they been there? In the non-snowy photo I would question whether they are in fact blocking access to the services in any practical way.

I would even question slightly! It is way further forward in the second set of photos! Maybe half a boat length!

(I should say appears to be - as all I have to go on are the photos themselves ;) )

Edited by steven wilkinson

I suspect you are (present company excepted of course)

I'm having a good chuckle, even first thing on a Sunday morning after too much Aberlour last night .

But then I'm a Braidbar owner…

cheers.gif

Ducks back behind parapet.

Wow three pages for this, I'm enjoying it. Can not understand why people have a problem. If I cam to that point needed to use it could not get in I'd simply moor up along side job done. They should not be there.

You people down south have some funny ways, I can not wait to one day take our boat down there. I'm sure il have lots of fun.

Edited by bespin

You people down south have some funny ways, I can not wait to one day take our boat down there. I'm sure il have lots of fun.

Ahem!

None of this relates to "down South"!

It is all going on firmly "up North" from my perspective!

Wow three pages for this, I'm enjoying it. Can not understand why people have a problem. If I cam to that point needed to use it could not get in I'd simply moor up along side job done. They should not be there.

I think it's more an indication of the success of BW/CRU's 'divide and rule' strategy.

Oh, and some coat tails for the grumpies to hang on to.

The-Passion-of-Joan-of-Arc-12617_5.jpg

Well the road above the towpath deposits dust in summer, and mud in winter, on one's shiny paintwork. And then there are those roughy toughy bikers that like to rort up and down to the Mucky Duck on their Hardly Dangerous-es at all times of the evening.

????????????????

Fradleymoorings_zpsefa009a9.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

To a Hudson owner even tarmac is a form of mud. When you're used to red carpets bring rolled out ahead of you . . . .

I find it interesting that down near Bath there's two hudson boats left on the towpath for months at a time, one is a very good looking boat indeed, the other ugly as sin.

There's been a tendency over the years for that bow to exaggerated to the point of self-parody.

To a Hudson owner even tarmac is a form of mud. When you're used to red carpets bring rolled out ahead of you . . . .

Initially I didn't take much notice of the where the specific location was and it was only when the 'mucky duck' was mentioned did I realise it was Fradley (despite it being referred to in the OP).

Now that I realise where it is there is no question it is moored on the service point we used to use those facilities a lot when we were based in the Midlands. The boat is moored adjacent to the elsan and bins.

The elsan (which is an open one) was often a bit 'wiffy' so I fail to see the attraction of mooring there for any length of time.

I find it interesting that down near Bath there's two hudson boats left on the towpath for months at a time, one is a very good looking boat indeed, the other ugly as sin.

There's been a tendency over the years for that bow to exaggerated to the point of self-parody.

I think I know the pretty one you're talking about. I have to say, if I had lots of money for a new narrowboat RW Davies would be getting that money, they manage to look so pretty and so rugged at the same time.

plato2.jpg

Initially I didn't take much notice of the where the specific location was and it was only when the 'mucky duck' was mentioned did I realise it was Fradley (despite it being referred to in the OP).

Now that I realise where it is there is no question it is moored on the service point we used to use those facilities a lot when we were based in the Midlands. The boat is moored adjacent to the elsan and bins.

The elsan (which is an open one) was often a bit 'wiffy' so I fail to see the attraction of mooring there for any length of time.

I'm still open to the idea that they may have some sort of good reason for being there, I'm really not sure what that reason could be but as you point out it really doesn't look like a nice place to be moored, even if you're not concerned with the rules or putting other people out. I don't know the area at all but I'm pretty sure I can see attractive looking visitor moorings in that picture, and I think spotting nice visitor moorings from a distance is something we've all developed a knack for.

I'm still open to the idea that they may have some sort of good reason for being there, I'm really not sure what that reason could be but as you point out it really doesn't look like a nice place to be moored, even if you're not concerned with the rules or putting other people out. I don't know the area at all but I'm pretty sure I can see attractive looking visitor moorings in that picture, and I think spotting nice visitor moorings from a distance is something we've all developed a knack for.

That was why I mentioned the elsan, I'm thinking possibly the same.

Visually it's quite a pleasant spot though and there is a fair amount of VM's on the opposite side, these often fill up at busy periods but clearly they are not in the original pics. so it remains a mystery why any body would moor for any length of time on that side. (aside of course it being handy for the 'services' and a cafe - which is probably not currently open!)