CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

I find it interesting that down near Bath there's two hudson boats left on the towpath for months at a time, one is a very good looking boat indeed, the other ugly as sin.

There's been a tendency over the years for that bow to exaggerated to the point of self-parody.

And if I remember correctly two Northwich Traders too. Those crusty boaters on the Western K&A certainly do it in style.

A lot of people here do take the Pss out of pretend Rivets, but if I could afford a Northwich Trader I could learn to cope with that!

.........Dave

That was why I mentioned the elsan, I'm thinking possibly the same.

Visually it's quite a pleasant spot though and there is a fair amount of VM's on the opposite side, these often fill up at busy periods but clearly they are not in the original pics. so it remains a mystery why any body would moor for any length of time on that side. (aside of course it being handy for the 'services' and a cafe - which is probably not currently open!)

My bold --- oh they are open, unless the weather has beaten them. Could the attraction also be the bog & shower being within spitting distance?

That was why I mentioned the elsan, I'm thinking possibly the same.

Visually it's quite a pleasant spot though and there is a fair amount of VM's on the opposite side, these often fill up at busy periods but clearly they are not in the original pics. so it remains a mystery why any body would moor for any length of time on that side. (aside of course it being handy for the 'services' and a cafe - which is probably not currently open!)

The VMs are 48 hour, though not rigorously enforced in the winter, IME. Between where Castellan is tied and Junction Lock are some underused LTMs – have they taken a temp mooring and just left the boat in the wrong place?

And if I remember correctly two Northwich Traders too. Those crusty boaters on the Western K&A certainly do it in style.

A lot of people here do take the Pss out of pretend Rivets, but if I could afford a Northwich Trader I could learn to cope with that!

.........Dave

The only Northwich Trader I can remember seeing frequently on the Western K&A was a fairly well maintained looking one that used to moor on the online moorings in Claverton, haven't seen it in a while. I suspect I fall into the category of crusty boater, but I do try to do it in style.

The only Northwich Trader I can remember seeing frequently on the Western K&A was a fairly well maintained looking one that used to moor on the online moorings in Claverton, haven't seen it in a while. I suspect I fall into the category of crusty boater, but I do try to do it in style.

I think it's still there, mind it's a bit scruffy as boats go. There was one at Diggers too but that's gone now.

For a long time I was unsure whether the rivets on the cabin were real but have since realised that if they were real they wouldn't need to be so prominent.

I think it's still there, mind it's a bit scruffy as boats go. There was one at Diggers too but that's gone now.

For a long time I was unsure whether the rivets on the cabin were real but have since realised that if they were real they wouldn't need to be so prominent.

Oh, yeah. I remember the one at Diggers. It's less the (fake) rivets and more the overall hull and cabin shape that do it for me, although I do think RW Davies place their weld on Smarties more thoughtfully than alot of builders.

????????????????

Fradleymoorings_zpsefa009a9.jpg

I don't get your point. I can clearly see dust on that road.

However your photo does show that where Castellan was moored in the 1st photo is not really on any services. In your photo, the water point can be seen at the bow of the moored boat to the left of the photo. The elsan/rubbish is off the right of your photo. Therefore there aren't really any services just where Castellan was moored. So whilst I may technically not be allowed (although I can't see any signs) is it actually inconveniencing anyone? - presuming they didn't linger in the location of the 2nd (snowy) photo.

Personally I wouldn't want to moor there because its too close to the cafe with concomitant screaming kids and geese feeding of the debris. Goose poo is far worse for the shinypaintwork than the dust.

Yeah it's just like the sahara really really dusty.

It,s not a photo BTW it,s a screen grab from Google street view.

There were signs there last time I was there and isn't mooring there taking up space preventing more than one boat stopping there when they may otherwise do so, it is after all a very busy spot a lot of the time.

Frankly if you are serious about why they haven't moored on the correct side it's a pretty lame excuse even if the road was dusty which it isn't.

Edited by The Dog House

Frankly if you are serious about why they haven't moored on the correct side it's a pretty lame excuse even if the road was dusty which it isn't.

I can't decide whether nicknorman is being serious or winding people up, but if serious it seems to be a pretty good argument against shiny boats ;)

Tim

I don't get your point. I can clearly see dust on that road.

However your photo does show that where Castellan was moored in the 1st photo is not really on any services. In your photo, the water point can be seen at the bow of the moored boat to the left of the photo. The elsan/rubbish is off the right of your photo. Therefore there aren't really any services just where Castellan was moored. So whilst I may technically not be allowed (although I can't see any signs) is it actually inconveniencing anyone? - presuming they didn't linger in the location of the 2nd (snowy) photo.

Personally I wouldn't want to moor there because its too close to the cafe with concomitant screaming kids and geese feeding of the debris. Goose poo is far worse for the shinypaintwork than the dust.

Hogging the waterpoint, for days. Funny how many faces some people have, when it suits them ;-)

Picked up car from the pub car park at 6pm today.

Castellan still in same place, Pete smoking from engine room hatch and wife feeding ducks from kitchen hatch.

There was a Shakespeare hire boat coming down and attempting to get on the water point this morning which really struggled, the strong wind kept blowing them away, if they could have has a clear run to the bank they would not have struggled so much.

Selfish, ignorant boaters.

Now 4 days.

Picked up car from the pub car park at 6pm today.

Castellan still in same place, Pete smoking from engine room hatch and wife feeding ducks from kitchen hatch.

There was a Shakespeare hire boat coming down and attempting to get on the water point this morning which really struggled, the strong wind kept blowing them away, if they could have has a clear run to the bank they would not have struggled so much.

Selfish, ignorant boaters.

Now 4 days.

[/quote

You watched these guys for four days

Why haven't you spoken to them?

Curtain twitcher maybe

Glenn

Edited by Goliath

No Mr. Norman, that won't wash. How can an owner of a real riveted boat, aspire to owning a fake riveted boat?

Maybe to move out of the 19th and into the 21st century? As I said, cat 3, and you can always have one without rivets if you are good. Mind you, I agree that its hard to store a lot of ice cream on a Hudson. So for you, only once you retire.

You watched these guys for four days

Why haven't you spoken to them?

Curtain twitcher maybe

Glenn

It is not my job to speak to them or enforce mooring areas - it is a glaring example of a selfish, self centred boater that couldn't give a toss about others.

As I stated originally, CaRT are introducing new moorings rules even though they don't enforce the existing ones.

What a waste of money, why not just enforce the existing ones or spend the money on something more worthwhile like dredging Rugeley which from today passage must be about 3 ft deep max.

Maybe to move out of the 19th and into the 21st century? As I said, cat 3, and you can always have one without rivets if you are good. Mind you, I agree that its hard to store a lot of ice cream on a Hudson. So for you, only once you retire.

But, you are contradicting yourself. If you want want to move into the 21st century, why add the fake rivets? Why try to copy the looks of a 19th century boat?

No Mr. Norman, that won't wash. How can an owner of a real riveted boat, aspire to owning a fake riveted boat?

I reckon one of those false riveted shiny jobbies would suit you. You could get one of those captains hats and start paying a boatyard to do your oil changes for you.

2938657-an-older-man-wearing-a-captains-hat-at-the-beach.jpg

It is not my job to speak to them or enforce mooring areas - it is a glaring example of a selfish, self centred boater that couldn't give a toss about others.

Yes yes, BUT if someone spoke to them nicely prior to your arrival, they might have moved off the water point, thereby making yours and others life much easier, and saving you getting upset, dontchathink?

OK, so you're not part of the problem, but you're not part of the solution either. CART just want to make themselves look busy making needless policies.

Go on, speak to them! (nicely!) It doesn't sound like they bite. :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete