CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

Well, it's still there today. Owners on board & engine ticking away nicely. I have an idea why it's moored there, the owner was just putting a self pump out kit away. Perhaps they hadn't quite filled the tank & wanted a few extra days of squitting before they did it.

In all fairness, there was a good boat's length behind them before the water point & a Canaltime boat managed to get in ok. However, whilst he was filling,a boat came down from Junction Lock & he had to fiddle about trying to moor on the chains to wait his turn.

Just as I was leaving, Mr Hudson had dropped back onto the water point, so it would seem that he just wants to moor in a spot that has all the facilities within a few feet. Very nice if you can get away with it.

There is also a very tired looking old boat on the new long term moorings. It hasn't been there long but it looks like that it has aquired a patrol notice. Wonder why they left Mr Hudson alone?

There is also a very tired looking old boat on the new long term moorings. It hasn't been there long but it looks like that it has aquired a patrol notice. Wonder why they left Mr Hudson alone?

If it hasn't been reported then presumably the patrol officer will just assume Mr. Hudson has been there the requisite amount of time and not the best part of a week.

Well, it's still there today. Owners on board & engine ticking away nicely. I have an idea why it's moored there, the owner was just putting a self pump out kit away. Perhaps they hadn't quite filled the tank & wanted a few extra days of squitting before they did it.

In all fairness, there was a good boat's length behind them before the water point & a Canaltime boat managed to get in ok. However, whilst he was filling,a boat came down from Junction Lock & he had to fiddle about trying to moor on the chains to wait his turn.

Just as I was leaving, Mr Hudson had dropped back onto the water point, so it would seem that he just wants to moor in a spot that has all the facilities within a few feet. Very nice if you can get away with it.

Go on, strike up a conversation and have a friendly chat with them! :) Start off with something like 'nice hull is that an xxx?' but NOT 'are they FAKE rivets???' :P

Then after a few minutes chat mention they're right on the water point and in the windy conditions with possibly inexperienced boaters around would be much safer on the visitor moorings nearby.

If they get a bit funny tell them you're just trying to help because there's a online forum debating their remaining on the water point so long, and NB CASTELLAN is getting a bit of a reputation! Besides it's a bit selfish to moor on the water point and make it harder for other boaters to use the services. :rolleyes:

cheers, Pete

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete
  • Greenie 2

Go on, strike up a conversation and have a friendly chat with them! :) Start off with something like 'nice hull is that an xxx?' but NOT 'are they FAKE rivets???' :P

Y'know, I quite often do, but you get a feeling when it's not appropriate --- no eye contact, a miserable look etc.& I have no great concern where Mr Hudson moors. The only thing that I would say is that having moored at Fradley many, many times, I would never consider mooring there overnight, never mind for several days.

Y'know, I quite often do, but you get a feeling when it's not appropriate --- no eye contact, a miserable look etc.& I have no great concern where Mr Hudson moors. The only thing that I would say is that having moored at Fradley many, many times, I would never consider mooring there overnight, never mind for several days.

Maybe they're looking a bit down 'cause they're in a fix, and would appreciate an offer of help or even just someone to listen.

Hopefully it would at least make this thread less one sided, and give their side of things...

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Another tack might be to ask them if they are waiting for an engineer to arrive. They may look askance at you or they may say yes the blade's fallen off, or something.

If they look blank and ask what you mean, you can say you've been aware of them there for quite a few days on the service point and assumed they must have broken down, and as Husson owners they would obvioulsy know it's bad form to moor on a water point for more than a few hours.

MtB

P.S. they may also say it's the only place at Fradley they can get close enough into the bank to moor, owning such a fuckoff-deep-drafted awseome Hudson. All without a hint of embarrassment.

• Greenie 1

(snip)

How about, "are they REAL rivets?" ? :cheers:

Iain

P.S. they may also say it's the only place at Fradley they can get close enough into the bank to moor, owning such a fuckoff-deep-drafted awseome Hudson. All without a hint of embarrassment.

No, plenty of draft on t'other side EVEN for a Hudson like ours drawing 4 feet. Or is that metres?

No, plenty of draft on t'other side EVEN for a Hudson like ours drawing 4 feet. Or is that metres?

There I was thinking that the reason these Huddy's were allways stuck or in the way and refuse to move over was because the owners were fucking usless.

• Greenie 2

There I was thinking that the reason these Huddy's were allways stuck or in the way and refuse to move over was because the owners were fucking usless.

No, as I said a long time ago on the thread, is because we are superior and therefore have every right to keep the centre line, although I do occasionally move over a little if I am feeling in a benevolent mood and the other boat is not too scruffy.

No, as I said a long time ago on the thread, is because we are superior and therefore have every right to keep the centre line, although I do occasionally move over a little if I am feeling in a benevolent mood and the other boat is not too scruffy.

Do you make an exception if it is an equally well festooned "Hud" coming the other way, or do you play "Rivet Conkers"?

• Greenie 1

Wow your all being so so bitish about all this will someone just go and ask them what they are doing :0) 7 pages is far to long for this threat

I thought it's been quite an informative and somewhat amusing thread actually. It will probably be used as an example in the numerous future debates about CaRT rule breaking and as in life in general, it'll be used when it's perceived there's one rule for shiny boats and another for those not as shiny, but then again even a scruffy Hudson might might pass as a shiny boat :lol: rivets or not :wacko:

If we all stuck a badge on "Hudson" surely the problem would solve it's self :lol:

If it hasn't been reported then presumably the patrol officer will just assume Mr. Hudson has been there the requisite amount of time and not the best part of a week.

See post #82

See post #82

To fill in the cutain twitchers who started this all off are just as bad at blatently ignoring the guidelines (by a foot when its convienent and) when it suits them. Soon everyone will be grassing everyone up and the whole canal will be a better place! thing is the curtain twitchers dont realise what theyre are doing because no one has nicely approached them prior to their arrival. Which sorts it all out apparently, I'll have to assume here that watching everything and complaining about just about everything doesnt seem to cover HOME base. Must be covered by the its ok for your off the lead dog to terrorise our children and shit in their plays areas rule, its ok theyre only playing or teeeheeee fukcing he theyre just being nosey rule, the kids must just cry for the next three hours because they dont understand, damn stoopid kids!!!!. Anyway everyone grassing everyone up seems to be what they want. How many phone lines do they have? A canal full of twitchers wingers and anals sounds awesome. Roll on 2014 I love when someone toots their horn at 20:05 as the benny goes off, my CORDLESS drill becomes all the more useful been as i was too busy to see the time or hear the alarm I set for 19:55. A crime that should carry jail time I know because the jails are empty and people are getting paid for nothing!

At least there isnt a problem with cassette users detroying water points and people taking the F'ing mickey with the rubbish points. Boaters never dump stuff that even if they paid £1500 a year counciltax they wouldnt get it taken away. 30ft roll of carpet? yeah that fits! ;) mooring 2ft off the facility bollards?? its all cool in their world too. Piling out in groups of 6 and up from the marina and speeding to the nearest pub and expecting to fit all 6 and up boats?? come on everyone should be able to do that! its what the canals are for! Read up and regurgitate history as you take the absolute p!ss. Of course none of the locks need any attention and the banks are fine for mooring, tie up along side ;) none of the precious water is soaked by trees and the water points work in the winter. Its fecking awesome these days!! keep the good hard diligent work a'coming. None of it ever gets wasted.

(cheek full a' tongue)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

It's a bit rich to blame Nick Norman for derailing this thread, when in your first post you say:-

"This is the kind of boat that Nicknorman would not dream of blaming if he arrived at Fradley in midsummer and couldn't get a mooring."

That seems a bit provocative to me.

It's not as if the thread had any merit anyway - although it might have if you had talked to the couple in the first place, or indeed it may have proved completely unneccesary

Dunno, it's the best thing I've read on here for a while, quite entertaining really, nothing like a good old whinge :P

Do you make an exception if it is an equally well festooned "Hud" coming the other way, or do you play "Rivet Conkers"?

Of course, prior to accepting your order, Lord Hudson of Glascote evaluates you and you are giving a ranking in the pecking order. You have to attend indoctrination training in his secret underground bunker, where amongst other things you learn to distinguish the Hidden Meaning of the Rivets. To the uninitiated, they all look in the same pattern, but during the course you learn the subtle differences, a bit like Braille. This allows you to determine, when faced with an oncoming member of the clan, who has priority and who has to show due deference.

Of course one is also sworn to secrecy in a ceremony involving ducks and a cassette toilet, so I shouldn't really be telling you this. Sorry, got to go now, I can see some men in black suits and dark glasses approaching down the towpath. I'm not sure if its concealed truncheons they have, or whether they are just pleased to see me...

• Greenie 2

Of course, prior to accepting your order, Lord Hudson of Glascote evaluates you and you are giving a ranking in the pecking order. You have to attend indoctrination training in his secret underground bunker, where amongst other things you learn to distinguish the Hidden Meaning of the Rivets. To the uninitiated, they all look in the same pattern, but during the course you learn the subtle differences, a bit like Braille. This allows you to determine, when faced with an oncoming member of the clan, who has priority and who has to show due deference.

Of course one is also sworn to secrecy in a ceremony involving ducks and a cassette toilet, so I shouldn't really be telling you this. Sorry, got to go now, I can see some men in black suits and dark glasses approaching down the towpath. I'm not sure if its concealed truncheons they have, or whether they are just pleased to see me...

Blimey, they are like Mason's then? And I thought they only made paint.

Ahh haa. An answer to mystery of why the ducks at Tamworth quack so loud.

The men in suits and dark specs are pleased to see you.

ETA links to photos of a proper bow.

IMG_0431

IMG_0437

It's not mine but IMO it's got to be one of the best looking on the cut (unlike the owner).

Huddy owners might enjoy looking at it to see what a planked compound curve bow looks like!

Edited by andywatson

the Hidden Meaning of the Rivets. To the uninitiated, they all look in the same pattern, but during the course you learn the subtle differences, a bit like Braille.

This conjures up a mental picture of a baffled blind person trying to read the top plank of a Hudson boat. Reminds me of that old joke about Stevie Wonder and the cheese grater.....

Ahh haa. An answer to mystery of why the ducks at Tamworth quack so loud.

The men in suits and dark specs are pleased to see you.

IMG_0431

IMG_0437

It's not mine but IMO it's got to be one of the best looking on the cut (unlike the owner).

Huddy owners might enjoy looking at it to see what a planked compound curve bow looks like!

Hi Andy, I have to agree for at least 100%, and your own boat is much better than very good too.

Peter.

IMG_0431

IMG_0437

It would be nice to get a proper picture of that really nice looking front end.

Unfortunately it only seems to be in one of the pictures, and then only a small part of it in the bottom left!

Do you have better pictures of the more interesting boats in the periphery of those photos, because these ones seem to concentrate on one that looks rather less interesting!

(!)