CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

The 120ft service point appears to have at least a complete boat length before and after it, so I am struggling to see what causes the extreme difficulty and angst - if it's, difficult then moor along side them.

Whilst not intending to get into a detailed analysis as to exactly what the situation is here, can I assume that what you have typed above is not exactly what you meant, otherwise I'm not following.

If you have a 120 foot service point, and plonk a 60 foot boat (or thereabouts) in the middle of it, then surely there can't be more than 30 feet either side of it? Hardly "complete boat lengths" considering the length that people now seem to need their boats to b!

Depending on actual boat length, surely if it were 120 feet in the first place, it is not two full boat lengths long even before someone decides to use it as an unofficial visitor mooring?

Perhaps you meant yards or metres, rather than feet?

(I rather think that that boat is one I recognise from a previous experience unrelated to visitor moorings - if it is, this thread doesn't really surprise me!)

Edited by alan_fincher

and in the friendly world of boating I would expect someone to moor in such a way that they are not inconveniencing other friendly boaters :-) .

haggis

Well that point is not in dispute. I don't think anyone is condoning people hogging a facilities point - I certainly don't, and personally I would have said something to them, or if they were not there and I had to use the facilities, I would have breasted up and got on with it.

It's just that I find the assumptions, over-reaction and hypebole distasteful as well.

Edited by billS

Well that point is not in dispute. I don't think anyone is condoning people hogging a facilities point.

You may not be be but at least one person has said 'what's the problem? it is only causing minor problems to those inexperienced in boat handling' - (I paraphrase of course.)

(I rather think that that boat is one I recognise from a previous experience unrelated to visitor moorings - if it is, this thread doesn't really surprise me!)

They are actually moored right next to what used to be a BW office that closed last year from memory.

I wonder if they would still be there now if the office had still been open.

Any way my last word on this as I have a toilet to fix (no not the cassette on the boat but the loo at home!)

Edited by The Dog House

Whilst not intending to get into a detailed analysis as to exactly what the situation is here, can I assume that what you have typed above is not exactly what you meant, otherwise I'm not following.

If you have a 120 foot service point, and plonk a 60 foot boat (or thereabouts) in the middle of it, then surely there can't be more than 30 feet either side of it? Hardly "complete boat lengths" considering the length that people now seem to need their boats to b!

Depending on actual boat length, surely if it were 120 feet in the first place, it is not two full boat lengths long even before someone decides to use it as an unofficial visitor mooring?

Perhaps you meant yards or metres, rather than feet?

No - I mean exactly what I wrote. I have never been there, so I can only see the pictures on the thread, but the first picture shows at least one boats length (and possible several) of empty mooring space behind the offending boat. Plenty of room for even the most inexperienced to come ashore and secure their boat. Its not as if the service point was hemmed in between two bridges, or anything like that.

There also appears to be considerable room in front of the boat - whether or not it is a complete 72ft, I can't tell, but I suspect it is.

Edited by billS

No - I mean exactly what I wrote. I have never been there, so I can only see the pictures on the thread, but the first picture shows at least one boats length (and possible several) of empty mooring space behind the offending boat. Plenty of room for even the most inexperienced to come ashore and secure their boat. Its not as if the service point was hemmed in between two bridges, or anything like that.

There also appears to be consirderable room in front of the boat - whether or not it is a complete 72ft, I can't tell, but I suspect it is.

OK, I think I see.

You are saying that there is space in addition to the 120 feet you quoted?

Given that the boat pictured is more or less dead across the crane, I'm not convinced that once you go beyond it towards the lock, there is anything you can actually tie a boat off to though, if you can land it against the side, single handed on a windy day? Are there any rings or bollards once you are that far up, I'm not sure?

I'm happy to be corrected if you can tie up forward of them, although I seem to recall that there are actually "no mooring" signs posted by the rubbish bins, which never seems helpful!

On the face of it they do appear to have taken about half the space that it is actually possible to tie up to, haven't they, and thereby restricted use of the facilities to one boat maximum, without people breasting up?

EDIT:

I've not been through the whole thread, but has Matty actually confirmed whether the (apparently) one space behind them was available when he wanted to stop there? Perhaps another boat was genuinely stopped for services, I don't know.

Edited by alan_fincher

and in the friendly world of boating I would expect someone to moor in such a way that they are not inconveniencing other friendly boaters :-) .

True but some common sense and friendly communication wouldn't go amiss in this case.

I'm almost tempted to mischievously ask Matty if he has a shiny boat too... :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

True but some common sense and friendly communication wouldn't go amiss in this case.

I'm almost tempted to mischievously ask Matty if he has a shiny boat too... :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

and I'm almost tempted to mischievously suggest that it may have some fake rivets on it also... :)

When I arrived on Thursday evening there was approx 60 feet behind them at the water point. Directly behind this was a GRPcruiser. The gale force wind was directly off the bank across the cut. Mooring up was challenging, even for me.

As Nick states, they have moved down slightly, leaving 80ft. In front of them is a CaRT workboat moored to high banking with dangling chains only.

But, you are contradicting yourself. If you want want to move into the 21st century, why add the fake rivets? Why try to copy the looks of a 19th century boat?

Have to leap in here after reading too many posts re silly fake rivets. Hudson boats are quite simply very well built and finished to a very high standard. My boat had NO pretend rivets or silly antiquated noisey old engine it had a fab quiet smooth beta at the back under the floor where it should be. Hudson boats are not all bought by anoraks, mine was simply a very well built and finished boat that secondhand was not much more than a similar aged any body else boat but far superior in many ways. There you go :cheers:

Tim

i don't think he is complaining or watching seeing as he is now in rugely ;) and CRT have been informed so it's their baby now.

But what can CRT do ? There's two boats on the lock moorings and winding hole at Bath , they've been there for more than two months causing problems for other boaters . CRT knows , puts polite notices on them , but they are still there . I'm genuinely interested in the process , how do you move them ?

CRT have the powers to move boats (immediately) that are causing an obstruction. Whether they have the boat or the trained crew to do it is another matter.

They may have the powers but the issue is that they choose not to exercise them in cases like the oneat Bath. In the example at Fradley surely all it needs is the patrol officer to ask them to move on to the visitor moorings.

But what can CRT do ? There's two boats on the lock moorings and winding hole at Bath , they've been there for more than two months causing problems for other boaters . CRT knows , puts polite notices on them , but they are still there . I'm genuinely interested in the process , how do you move them ?

Get a posse together,untie the ropes and move the darn things.When the owners appear get the Sheriff to use his Winchester repeating rifle on whoever has the loudest mouth.Once gone they would not return.Forget being nice,they don't understand.

but could they have a broken gear box and be waiting for a mechanic to fix it?

That's hardly an excuse, a boat can easily moved with ropes.

A the end of the day the boat simply shouldn't be there unless it's using services and that doesn't take very long let alone 4 days. it's bloody minded ignorance and inconsiderate. I personally wouldn't dream of doing the same and inconveniencing people, I behave the same when parking my vehicles lorries especially.

There's ample room to move this boat a short distance even if broken down to enable easier access for experienced or novice boaters. These are probably the sort of people I wouldn't want to speak to anyway and probably wouldn't take much notice if you did.

They clearly live in a world of their own.

It surprises me that no ones loosened off their ropes :lol: Maybe cos we're all watching :lol:

Edited by Julynian

CRT have the powers to move boats (immediately) that are causing an obstruction. Whether they have the boat or the trained crew to do it is another matter.

Assumes it is not CRT boats, or those of their contractors causing an obstruction, of course!....

I could come down tonight,dressed in black with my night glasses and set them adrift.Tomorrow I could take piccies of them returning to the same place, ignorant and arrogant I call it.

Not that I'm endorcing such behaviour , but the beers on me if you do !

and I'm almost tempted to mischievously suggest that it may have some fake rivets on it also... :)

I just googled it, a little bit 'shiny' but no fake rivets, nice boat really. :)

So maybe not a straight 'shiny on shiny' incident, on the other hand I'd have expected a bit better from Matty really. Maybe he aspires to a proper shiny boat with some fake rivets, as nicknorman says we all should ;)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Why is everbody so negative about Hudsons boats? The man himself might be a bit rude but he makes nice looking boats and has probably put more boaty-boats onto the cut than any other builder.

There are far too many floating caravans with cartoon ducks painted on the side for my liking, at least a Hudson looks like it almost belongs on our historic waterways.

And his front is a good shape, there are many others doing the same thing in only half the length and they do look daft ("squasher joshers").

And at least he puts rivets all the way along rather than just a few tokens on the first six feet.

If we could just persuade the owners to stop polishing them quite so much......

............Dave

Why is everbody so negative about Hudsons boats? The man himself might be a bit rude but he makes nice looking boats and has probably put more boaty-boats onto the cut than any other builder.

There are far too many floating caravans with cartoon ducks painted on the side for my liking, at least a Hudson looks like it almost belongs on our historic waterways.

And his front is a good shape, there are many others doing the same thing in only half the length and they do look daft ("squasher joshers").

And at least he puts rivets all the way along rather than just a few tokens on the first six feet.

If we could just persuade the owners to stop polishing them quite so much......

............Dave

I think it's mostly in jest following nicknormans posts suggesting we all aspire to a Hudson. Of course a nice boat but of course not to every ones taste especially where cladding, I mean rivets are concerned.

My reply with regard Hudsom was a wee bit critical butt more over about cost and expected quality for that cost.

Just a thought, how much is a fitted fake rivet. I do like a Brunellian look :lol:

You might need to go back a few pages for that.

Edited by Julynian

haggis

A wee greenie for you!

My boat had NO pretend rivets or silly antiquated noisey old engine.

I haven't seen any Hudsons with that type of engine; they tend to have Listers or, occasionally, Gardners instead.

OT: I can see everybody's avatar except Mr. Pink's. Is this a fault on my computer, or is Chris simply not displaying an avatar at the mo'?