CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

It is not my job to speak to them or enforce mooring areas - it is a glaring example of a selfish, self centred boater that couldn't give a toss about others.

As I stated originally, CaRT are introducing new moorings rules even though they don't enforce the existing ones.

What a waste of money, why not just enforce the existing ones or spend the money on something more worthwhile like dredging Rugeley which from today passage must be about 3 ft deep max.

I'm not suggesting you become an enforcer.

But a friendly chat costs nothing.

Glenn

It is not my job to speak to them or enforce mooring areas - it is a glaring example of a selfish, self centred boater that couldn't give a toss about others.

As I stated originally, CaRT are introducing new moorings rules even though they don't enforce the existing ones.

What a waste of money, why not just enforce the existing ones or spend the money on something more worthwhile like dredging Rugeley which from today passage must be about 3 ft deep max.

3 feet, a whole 36 inches, I'm on my way, are there any good pubs up there?

Its good to see people moaning about a posh boat overstaying up in the midlands for once, takes the pressure of us down on the K&A.

Of course the main reason we don't move down here is that we are stuck firmly on the bottom.

But seriously, is this bloke really blocking the waterpoint? He might be making it marginally more difficult for an inexperienced boater to stop there, but there are many water points on the system that are much more difficult to get on to (Devizes between bridge and trip boat for example)

Three times this winter we've needed to moor alongside another boat to get water, its not the end of the world is it????

There are a few people on this forum spending a lot of time (and there own money) trying to fight the boaters corner against CaRT, can we not put our energy into helping them rather than bitching about other boaters????

............Dave

Yes yes, BUT if someone spoke to them nicely prior to your arrival, they might have moved off the water point, thereby making yours and others life much easier, and saving you getting upset, dontchathink?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Ah soo rules arent rules, its all down to one to speak to another nicely then see who if any is willing to abide by the guidelines!

the mud clears... a little ;) is the 'prior' to your arrival obligitory? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure its this line of thinking thats let to all these issues.

"If someone wanted me to move theyd come and ask me prior to tying up."

(not my line of thinking btw)

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

There's loads of pubs up there! I'll race you.

I'm fed up with the over priced wadsworth beer down here.

Glenn

The Southgate at the top of Devizes were asking £2.60 for a pint of HopBack bitter, but I still prefer the British Lion!

Looking forward to seeing you again on the BCN cruise, but a bit concerned that the social events appear to involve chip shops and chinese takeaways rather than pubs!

.........Dave

or the mud thickens,

Rules or Guidelines?

Are you talking legal or lawful? :)

Jesting aside, guidelines I believe to be the best word to describe the legislation. Off topic completely.

hogging facilities is just wrong, even a boater who had had a heart attack would get back or get some one else to move his boat off the facilities. common courtesy!! ffs

Quite often its the "I pay £4000 / year jsut to use the canal for 2 months so I'll do as I please." or its the "I dont GAF they'll ask me if they really want me to move" thats take the mik. most people DO NOT fit into either of thoe catagories and do not really have any problems!

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

He is complaining

And watching.

Every day.

Sometimes twice.

Hope he reports in tomorrow.

i don't think he is complaining or watching seeing as he is now in rugely ;) and CRT have been informed so it's their baby now.

The Southgate at the top of Devizes were asking £2.60 for a pint of HopBack bitter, but I still prefer the British Lion!

Looking forward to seeing you again on the BCN cruise, but a bit concerned that the social events appear to involve chip shops and chinese takeaways rather than pubs!

.........Dave

No worries.

We'll find the boozers.. Our neck of the woods don't forget.

I dare say ill pass you in next week or so.

Cheers

Glenn

I think that Matty is well on his way now,but I will be there in the next couple of days & will report back, just to keep the pot boiling.

Lovely

I can sleep easy now.

I will check in later though!

Glenn

But seriously, is this bloke really blocking the waterpoint? He might be making it marginally more difficult for an inexperienced boater to stop there, but there are many water points on the system that are much more difficult to get on to (Devizes between bridge and trip boat for example)

Is not the whole point that there is simply no need to be there at all when there is clearly ample space on the opposite side, which are designated as VM's.

Plus on the point of inexperienced boaters - do they deserve less respect than those that own, why on earth is it OK just because I makes things difficult for them? It is a popular stretch for hire boats and the first bit on a long section where you can leave rubbish, hireres often get caught out by this there and it's almost an obligatory stop for them.

It also is a bad example to hire boaters who will possibly think 'well if he can do it so we will we'.

Aside from any thing else if they have been there for 4 days they are now exceeding even what they would be allowed to stay even if they were on the VM's

This thread seems petty and pathetic on so many levels

- A shiny boat is moored bang on a sevice point

- the owners appear to be on board, but instead of knocking on their boat and politely asking them if they could move, lets:-

* take lots of photographs - which "name and shame"

* publish their sin on a public forum

* complain to CRT about their action - or lack of it

* make snide remarks about shiny boaters

* complain about CRT

The 120ft service point appears to have at least a complete boat length before and after it, so I am struggling to see what causes the extreme difficulty and angst - if it's, difficult then moor along side them.

Yes - they are parked in an inappropriate place, but could they have a broken gear box and be waiting for a mechanic to fix it? We don't know, because the OP did not talk to them, but instead chose to vent his spleen on this forum. It strikes me that if they are really of the "shiny boat" persuasion, then they must be uncomfortable with all these inexperienced hirers blowing around and maneouvering close to them

Or have I missed something?

Edited by billS
  • Greenie 1

Whatever the rights and wrongs , Fradley will surely be on the next "Midlands Visitor Mooring Consultation" no doubt being planned once the first 8 SE VM changes are introduced next month. CRT will state that there due to persistent overstaying on the VM's they need to introduce daily monitoring , 24 hour duration, and £25 service charges. We should then submit this thread as proof of lack of demand and enforcement.

This thread seems petty and pathetic on so many levels

- A shiny boat is moored bang on a sevice point

- the owners appear to be on board, but instead of knocking on their boat and politely asking them if they could move, lets:-

* take lots of photographs - which "name and shame"

* publish their sin on a public forum

* complain to CRT about their action - or lack of it

* make snide remarks about shiny boaters

* complain about CRT

The 120ft service point appears to have at least a complete boat length before and after it, so I am struggling to see what causes the extreme difficulty and angst - if it's, difficult then moor along side them.

Yes - they are parked in an innapropriate place, but could they have a broken gear box and be waiting for a mechanic to fix it? We don't know, because the OP did not talk to them, but instead chose to vent his spleen on this forum. It strikes me that if they are really of the "shiny boat" persuasion, then they must be uncomfortable with all these inexperienced hirers blowing around and maneouvering close to them

Thanks for this post I had wondered why this thread had developed legs but had not got round to reading. :cheers:

To many people trapped inside due to bad weather

And how often is that question considered on this forum when it's a scruffy boat moored longer than it should be somewhere? :rolleyes:

This isn't a jibe at you, Alan, but a point about those resentful boaters who hate anyone who doesn't pay what they have chosen to pay for, and express it through encouraging sanctions on other boaters.

Well, as somebody who does have a problem with people taking the proverbial, let me say;

1) I don't "hate" such people. To try and make out that anybody who takes issues with what other boaters do is expressing hate is simply an attempt to shout down those opinions.

2) I don't resent anybody making a choice not to have a home mooring, because I am aware that the choice that they are making actually imposes conditions upon them that they have to meet

3) I do object to people who presented with two choices (mooring or CCer) invent their own third choice where they pick an choose which bits of the real choices they want. I still don't hate them though.

• Greenie 1

Yes

- but you need to -re-read the thread as to it's real point, but to assist it's actually in the first post, penultimate line.

Edited by The Dog House

Yes

- but you need to -re-read the thread as to it's real point, but to assist it's actually in the first post, penultimate line.

Well I could have bought into the irony - had it been left at that. But subsequent posting suggest that the intent is more direct and personal against the "offender" - and their ilk.

Well I could have bought into the irony - had it been left at that. But subsequent posting suggest that the intent is more direct and personal against the "offender" - and their ilk.

There are also posts which offer the suggestion that their being there may be the result of some predicament.

The thing is all walks of life (not just boating) in modern society with a plethora of mobile devices which can catch images and video you can expect that anything that you do that breaks any rules or the law or is just plain stupid it is likely to appear on the internet in minutes if not hours.

If you are happy with this then feel free to break any rule or law that you like, if you are not I would suggesting playing the game by the rules.

If you are happy with this then feel free to break any rule or law that you like, if you are not I would suggesting playing the game by the rules.

Not at all - I'm no anarchist. My point is that in the friendly world of boats and boating, I would expect someone to talk to the people concerned before naming, shaming and condeming on a public forum. Had they done so and been rebuffed or abused, or had they tried to come alongside but had been resisted, then I wouldn't have had a problem with the thread.

• Greenie 1

Not at all - I'm no anarchist. My point is that in the friendly world of boats and boating, I would expect someone to talk to the people concerned before naming, shaming and condeming on a public forum. Had they done so and been rebuffed or abused, or had they tried to come alongside but had been resisted, then I wouldn't have had a problem with the thread.

and in the friendly world of boating I would expect someone to moor in such a way that they are not inconveniencing other friendly boaters :-) .

haggis

• Greenie 1

and in the friendly world of boating I would expect someone to moor in such a way that they are not inconveniencing other friendly boaters :-) .

haggis

Exactly.