CM'ers - hogging services

matty40s

Featured Posts

Thanks to mr Norman, this thread has been turned into a washer thread.

Happy cruising everybody, and blame lack of access to services and moorings on those blasted rivets and washers eh :rolleyes:

Ooooh just a bit sulky! If we had all gathered round and condemned the boaters with one voice, how dull would that have been, and still not achieved anything! As it was we had a good laugh about shiny, washered boats. Too cold to be doing anything else anyway.

I think you should declare your hand here! ;)

Seriously though, starting a 'name and shame' thread, but then not wanting to actually talk (nicely we hope) to the people involved and give them a chance, it's not likely to lead to a sensible conclusion, is it? :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

But why should he talk to them? He's not a C&RT enforcement officer.

I've met some wonderful people on the canals but I've also met some nasty pieces of work - the same in all walks of life. If someone is moored for days at a time where they shouldn't and where they are likely to inconvenience other boaters I'd guess they're more likely to be the latter and be very wary of approaching them for fear of getting an earful.

• Greenie 1

I would. I have bought a boat but live in a house. Best of both worlds!

And does your house look like this, I'm wondering?

3847049306_d62af53ee0_z.jpg

I'm told what is stuck to this is "decoration, just like all the other styling features"!

But why should he talk to them? He's not a C&RT enforcement officer.

I've met some wonderful people on the canals but I've also met some nasty pieces of work - the same in all walks of life. If someone is moored for days at a time where they shouldn't and where they are likely to inconvenience other boaters I'd guess they're more likely to be the latter and be very wary of approaching them for fear of getting an earful.

Have to agree, I posted similar some pages back. People who behave selfishly and arrogantly will most likely act the same if approached, and that might get me going and damage might be caused to property or person :lol: and i'll end up in front of the :judge:

After wading through all this and not losing the will to live heres my ten pennorth.

1. obstruction services is inconvenient to others and selfish,a boat in the way is as much of a pain whoever built it or owns it.

2. as a loner those sort of selfish people cause me problems,I get a bit fed up of the general levels of thoughtlessness of some people .

3 I probably would have had a moan at them depending on what way out I was feeling at the time,sometimes its easier not to get involved.

4 getting cross is bad for me,I'm trying to give it up .

Stone cladding or any other so called style crimes don't bother me at all but does it cause structural problems to the building, does anybody know?

:smiley_offtopic:

Stone cladding or any other so called style crimes don't bother me at all but does it cause structural problems to the building, does anybody know?

It does an awful lot of damage when people try and take it off again!

And does your house look like this, I'm wondering?

I'm told what is stuck to this is "decoration, just like all the other styling features"!

A little bit like that, but its actually made of stone, not stone-clad (Aberdeen = Granite City!). But I wouldn't want a boat made of rivets! Decorative features are a matter of personal taste, and taste is a fickle thing.

A little bit like that, but its actually made of stone, not stone-clad (Aberdeen = Granite City!).

Have you considered sticking fake bricks on it, to make it stand out a bit from the crowd then?

No I must stop this :rolleyes: - I'll let you know when my riveted boat develops any leaks that are down to the method of construction used.

A little bit like that, but its actually made of stone, not stone-clad (Aberdeen = Granite City!). But I wouldn't want a boat made of rivets! Decorative features are a matter of personal taste, and taste is a fickle thing.

You are so right , we rejected the Hudson and went for real rivets before having her fitted out, now the back cabin has been painted we are billy no mates with a shiny boat but real rivets. It's all about personal choice which is what makes the canal so interesting whether you've spent £2k or £200 k

Have you considered sticking fake bricks on it, to make it stand out a bit from the crowd then?

No I must stop this :rolleyes: - I'll let you know when my riveted boat develops any leaks that are down to the method of construction used.

I would say your greatest worry would not be leaks, but woodworm in the patio decking. Does your house also have lots of decking in the garden? :P

Thanks to mr Norman, this thread has been turned into a washer thread.

Happy cruising everybody, and blame lack of access to services and moorings on those blasted rivets and washers eh :rolleyes:

It's a bit rich to blame Nick Norman for derailing this thread, when in your first post you say:-

"This is the kind of boat that Nicknorman would not dream of blaming if he arrived at Fradley in midsummer and couldn't get a mooring."

That seems a bit provocative to me.

It's not as if the thread had any merit anyway - although it might have if you had talked to the couple in the first place, or indeed it may have proved completely unneccesary

Edited by billS
  • Greenie 2

Tick tick tick tick tick tick..... Is it a nice old vintage engine with a loose tappet?

Oh no, it's the death watch beetle on Alan's patio deck!

(Come on Alan, we're both getting childish now - let's give everyone else a break!)

Edited by nicknorman

Ah, you have a boat named after a helicopter, you must know something about it. The helicopter I fly is partly structurally composite - ie plastic, or held together with superglue as I like to tell the passengers. But at least the gluing is a continuous line of bonding, a bit like welding! However I will have to give you that a good bit of it is riveted, but its a lightweight aluminium structure and aluminium welding is not only tricky, but heavier that rivets. On a helicopter, waterproof-ness is not an issue (just as well because it leaks like a sieve as soon as it rains) whereas weight is. On a narrowboat, weight is not really an issue but waterproof -ness is! Horses for courses.

Or horses for narrowboats- oh no, you don't like THAT bit of history, too messy and unpredictable. You just like the idea of selective bits of history like real riveted boats!

I would. I have bought a boat but live in a house. Best of both worlds!

Yes I do know something about it, but the boat is named after an animal not a product of Aerospatiale although one of their better ones. Thanks for the insight to the pilots perspective of metallic and composhite structures very informative. It leads me to a greater insight what my flight control colleagues have been trying to achieve over the last 30-40 years.

Oh. I do like the idea of horses and narrow boats unfortunately the powers that be have knocked that on it head, riveted boats even wooden boats, actually all boats, even those with pinched noses.

Anyway to bring the thread on track has anybody managed to save those poor people stuck on that smelly mooring, could someone please tell them the stink might not be anything to do with the build of boat they have but where they moored it.

Yes I do know something about it, but the boat is named after an animal not a product of Aerospatiale.

Cor, wotta letdown! There was me thinking that you had the good taste to name your boat after a Shropshire & Montgomery Railway tank locomotive.

A problem with real rivets is that they are of slightly different metallurgy to the plates, so after a century or so the ‘head’ of the rivets corrodes below the surface of the plate, and weeping leaks start – not only because of the ‘shrunk’ rivet itself, but also because the plates are no longer gripped together tightly.

Just to be clear - they are not of themselves a rust trap [because they are indeed so tight], it is rather that they perform as sacrificial anodes. Ring-welding the decayed head helps, but then they no longer look ‘genuine’ of course. As the problem only applies below waterline, few would be concerned I suppose, from the 'artistic' angle at any rate.

Exactly the same thing can happen with welded seams, I've seen it with boats less than 20 years old, never mind 100.

Incidentally I worked on an old rivetted boat a couple of years ago where the rivet heads were 'suffering'. Someone had welded washers onto the wasted rivet heads, below the waterline, in a way that added nothing whatever to the strength of the joins but the washers and their welds were suffering. All had to be removed and the rivets properly cap or ring welded.

I've no idea who did it or why, but I have my suspicions.

Tim