Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I seem to recall seeing the "Madeley" going past our house on the back of a lorry, going either to or from the bottom of Marple locks. They also had the "Jackal", cut off at the back end, as a pusher tug - and possibly the "Bream" as well.

Madeley was cut into a number of pieces. I saw it at Malcolm Braine's in the early 80s. It was subsequently reassembled, but with a reduced hull depth and motor stern, and now lives at Hebden Bridge.

madeley-port-apr-2011-IMG_0353_0.jpg

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/boats/madeley

Madeley was cut into a number of pieces. I saw it at Malcolm Braine's in the early 80s. It was subsequently reassembled, but with a reduced hull depth and motor stern, and now lives at Hebden Bridge.

Waterways were cutting it up (in Stone dock IIRC) and Malcolm bought it in kit form. The whole bow had to be dragged up the steps at the front of the dock and onto a truck.

Many boats masquerading now in original liveries are far removed from what they were, there are very few exceptions, in the GU boats "Bellatrix" and "Buckden" probably vie for the most original, in the Josher field I am not sure if any original cabins remain apart from the very late built boats.

Buckden has a new engine room and cabin and at a guess a fair proportion of new platework (I can't remember how much). Major work was done at Brinklow Boat Services in 2006. It may look original and a fair bit of time was put into research but H&W it ain't.

I seem to recall seeing the "Madeley" going past our house on the back of a lorry, going either to or from the bottom of Marple locks. They also had the "Jackal", cut off at the back end, as a pusher tug - and possibly the "Bream" as well.

Madeley, that's the one. I'm a bit surprised it possibly went by road though,I was under the impression that all four were either bow-hauled or tugged away from Marple Top by enthusiasts headed for Stratford.

Madeley, that's the one. I'm a bit surprised it possibly went by road though,I was under the impression that all four were either bow-hauled or tugged away from Marple Top by enthusiasts headed for Stratford.

Unfortunately I can't remember which direction it was going along the lane to the Aqueduct works, or whether before or after canal reopening - a long time ago!

Makes ours a bargain ready for conversion!!

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=407043

Con ....AAARGH" .... version?

I know the original objective of the HNBOC was exactly that but gawd strewth Laurence is interest in Barnet really that slack? You're not asking too much money for her, just more than I can legally get hold of.

Con ....AAARGH" .... version?

I know the original objective of the HNBOC was exactly that but gawd strewth Laurence is interest in Barnet really that slack? You're not asking too much money for her, just more than I can legally get hold of.

I am afraid that interest is down as is being demonstrated elsewhere. We have a couple of sensible enquires and a load of nutty ones. Taken over as she is and keeping her attached to volunteer work will pay dividends for the owner as we run the boat on less than £500 per year excluding dockings and work/repairs etc.

I am afraid that interest is down as is being demonstrated elsewhere. We have a couple of sensible enquires and a load of nutty ones. Taken over as she is and keeping her attached to volunteer work will pay dividends for the owner as we run the boat on less than £500 per year excluding dockings and work/repairs etc.

I would love to take Barnet off your hands but SWMBO would kill me, so I have to pass and wish you good fortune finding a new owner or a change in heart.

Well the date on Ben's post is March 2013 so maybe it's sold.

Edited to add: * tongue in cheek wink wink smiley *

What the hell was it doing in recent postings. There's another one wfbc.co.uk, doesn't exist, think that outfit went 'tits up' years ago Edited by larkshall

There's another one wfbc.co.uk, doesn't exist, think that outfit went 'tits up' years ago

Warwickshire Fly Boat Company still operate moorings as well as an active website, and still have several boats for sale - presumably on brokerage:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjADahUKEwjv-KCgkYjGAhXma9sKHZjVAPo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wfbco.co.uk%2F&ei=L8F5Va-lI-bX7QaYq4PQDw&usg=AFQjCNGpLbcS_glVIL1_1eAqaZzq4yTPhw

edit - captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Sheesh bloody expensive, Chablis can't be worth that sort of money

Arguably no canal boat is worth the money, only what somebody is prepared to pay. I have been involved with 'historic' canal boats for over 40 years and find the asking price of just about every boat for sale to be somewhat excessive. Some of the excessive price needs to be offset by either history or quality - preferably both captain.gif

This is not unique to boats, my other interest being Jaguar cars. I am considering a Jaguar purchase at present but the asking price is excessive for the age and history of the car in question, especially as I just missed out on one for £2000 less captain.gif

What the hell was it doing in recent postings. There's another one wfbc.co.uk, doesn't exist, think that outfit went 'tits up' years ago

No idea why or when that popped back up! I remember at the time it sold very quickly as most Royalty class seem to do.

Arguably no canal boat is worth the money, only what somebody is prepared to pay. I have been involved with 'historic' canal boats for over 40 years and find the asking price of just about every boat for sale to be somewhat excessive. Some of the excessive price needs to be offset by either history or quality - preferably both :captain:

This is not unique to boats, my other interest being Jaguar cars. I am considering a Jaguar purchase at present but the asking price is excessive for the age and history of the car in question, especially as I just missed out on one for £2000 less :captain:

Am afraid they are another passion of mine too, things like Lister D types, or XK8s

Makes ours a bargain ready for conversion!!

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=407043

Oh no! Me and the missus could just about pull the money together but could only justify if we converted her. It just doesn't feel like something we could do to a boat ready for work - we have both discussed it at length (Took us a whole 12 months to recognize that we are way more into rivets than new builds...).

Am afraid they are another passion of mine too, things like Lister D types, or XK8s

smiley_offtopic.gif

But a Lister D Type is just about unobtainable to an ordinary person like me, and certainly not very practical - but a late steel bodied XKR 4.2S certainly is both obtainable and practical (I have already owned a later alloy bodied XK8).

I substitute 'silly car' ownership for boat ownership as I can enjoy a car every day captain.gif