Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

:smiley_offtopic:

But a Lister D Type is just about unobtainable to an ordinary person like me, and certainly not very practical - but a late steel bodied XKR 4.2S certainly is both obtainable and practical (I have already owned a later alloy bodied XK8).

I substitute 'silly car' ownership for boat ownership as I can enjoy a car every day :captain:

I was going to answer the above, but going well off topic, so I'll zip it, alas

I have several Lister D engines - you can get them for about £65 - £100 as unrestored runners, i also have an open crank fuller & Johnson fully restored, some of these engines are still the most economical to run ever made and would work great on a boat to run a charging unit.

I have several Lister D engines - you can get them for about £65 - £100 as unrestored runners, i also have an open crank fuller & Johnson fully restored, some of these engines are still the most economical to run ever made and would work great on a boat to run a charging unit.

Still smiley_offtopic.gif

The above references to Lister D engines were 'tongue in cheek' as we were actually referring to mega expensive Lister Jaguar D Type road / racing cars - the Jaguar D Type being the pre-cursor to the better known Jaguar E Type.

Lister (under different ownership to the 1954 -1986 Company of the same name - and nothing to do with R.A. Lister, Dursley) were looking to start (re) production of their Jaguar D Type last year with race versions at £300,000 and road versions at £311,000. To put these prices into some kind of perspective in December 2013 a 1956 Jaguar D Type (not a Lister) sold at a Bonhams auction for £2,577,500 including premiums.

So as I have already said, unobtainable to an ordinary person like me.

Can we get this thread back on topic now please captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Or me. Alas. Sorry Peter wishful thinking. At present I have a 420. But I inherited a house which is on the market. Most of the value will go into a decent NB (can't decide on heritage or modern) to live on and cruise the system. Problem is most heritage stuff is too big to use on the system, but that's an aside. The rest of the value will go towards an alloy bodied XKE. MUST BE 3.8 though.

Or me. Alas. Sorry Peter wishful thinking. At present I have a 420. But I inherited a house which is on the market. Most of the value will go into a decent NB (can't decide on heritage or modern) to live on and cruise the system. Problem is most heritage stuff is too big to use on the system, but that's an aside. The rest of the value will go towards an alloy bodied XKE. MUST BE 3.8 though.

Must be a high valued house, those alloy bodied E Types cost a few quid nowadays.

Can I suggest moving any further conversation on Jaguar cars to the Forum's PM system.

captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Sorry Pete - i misunderstood the posts, however i know an old chap that has a factory mint E type with 17k on the clock in factory showroom finish, it even still has the delivery labels on components, its in an old concrete garrage on an estate in Birmingham, sorry once again for going off topic and not understanding the context of the posts,

Anyone know anything about a H & W boat, called Dove. It's for sale on ABNB. I'm tempted, despite it been too long for my part of the world. Tell me all the bad bits, I need dissuading

DOVER was the subject of a television company restoration in about 2005. The recordings were released as Narrowboat, with a later series called Narrowboat Afloat. DOVER is quite well documented on this Forum, try the search facility captain.gif

Probably not supposed to do this but just reminding folks we have "Barnet" up for grabs.

The boat is in "ready to go" condition and carries the advantage of being licenced as a maintenance work boat. This means a licence fee of currently (paid) £80.48 per year. If the boat is used as a MWB this is what you will pay. The boat has been recently docked with all necessary work done at Norton Canes Boatbuilders.

So if you want a ready to go big Woolwich this could be for you.

The "Canalscape-BCN" group can also be included with the sale, this is currently inactive but there is no reason why it cannot be re activated with new members working alongside CRT.

Also the boat has never been out of service for 79 years, however these craft evolve and if you want a conversion here is a blank canvas to start from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUCCCo-LARGE-WOOLWICH-WORKING-CANAL-NARROW-BOAT-BARNET-FULL-BSS-JUST-DOCKED-/151714081965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2352dd2cad

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=407043

Get your order in quick, selling like hotcakes at a £million or so each.

"The new cars will be hand-built in-house by Jaguar’s finest craftsmen. Each car will be constructed to the exact specifications of their original 1960s forebears – including the 3.8-litre straight-six engine. Customers will also be able to make bespoke requests for interior and exterior trim levels, paint and livery and further technical specification".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/11030715/Jaguar-shows-off-new-lightweight-E-Type.html

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/news/lightweight-e-type-is-reborn.html

jaguar-e-type-ligh_3004701b.jpg

A "Coventry Cat" built in Coventry, not Castle Brom!

Edited by Ray T

Gee thanks don't want a replica.

I watched a programme last week about these million pound lightweight E Types, and they raise all sorts of questions.

I am not sure they are replica's as they are built to the original Jaguar drawings by Jaguar themselves - making them lightweight E Type Jaguar's. They should not however be eligible for historic events (in my opinion) as the originals were purpose built with motor sport in mind whereas these are just sterile new cars. Somewhat misleadingly they are being allocated period serial numbers that were not allocated at the time of the originals.

Would I want one - no (not even if I could afford one).

edit - captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Probably not supposed to do this but just reminding folks we have "Barnet" up for grabs.

The boat is in "ready to go" condition and carries the advantage of being licenced as a maintenance work boat. This means a licence fee of currently (paid) £80.48 per year. If the boat is used as a MWB this is what you will pay. The boat has been recently docked with all necessary work done at Norton Canes Boatbuilders.

So if you want a ready to go big Woolwich this could be for you.

The "Canalscape-BCN" group can also be included with the sale, this is currently inactive but there is no reason why it cannot be re activated with new members working alongside CRT.

Also the boat has never been out of service for 79 years, however these craft evolve and if you want a conversion here is a blank canvas to start from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUCCCo-LARGE-WOOLWICH-WORKING-CANAL-NARROW-BOAT-BARNET-FULL-BSS-JUST-DOCKED-/151714081965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2352dd2cad

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=407043

suprised your boat isnt snapped up - i have admired it mored in wolves many times

suprised your boat isnt snapped up - i have admired it mored in wolves many times

The thing is, the BARNET would make to most BRILLIANT conversion. But those of us with the sensibility for these things appreciate what sacrilege this would be, and don't buy it...