Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Length? Width? Draft? What work was done at last repair?

Richard

71ft 6" x 7ft 0.5" as all other Woolwich's. The rest of what you ask is in the adverts (Apollo Duck link is better detailed).

Edited by Laurence Hogg

&1ft 6" x 7ft 0.5" as all other Woolwich's. The rest of what you ask is in the adverts (Apollo Duck link is better detailed).

I'm not buying it Laurence, and you linked to the Ebay advert.

If you want to sell through Ebay, perhaps you should put that data in the advert. There's a load of recent history stuff in there that doesn't help sell it, bung in a few details that might

Richard

Length? Width? Draft?

If you have to ask questions like that you aren't the right kind of person...icecream.gif

Richard

Quite

Richard

I'm not buying it Laurence, and you linked to the Ebay advert.

If you want to sell through Ebay, perhaps you should put that data in the advert. There's a load of recent history stuff in there that doesn't help sell it, bung in a few details that might

Richard

Quite

Richard

Theres a link in the ebay ad to the Apollo duck one. And frankly if people need to ask those questions I don't want them as buyers. You ought to experience the idiots we have had on the phone recently!

Serious question...

Anyone interested in coming in on a syndicate with me for this?

Junior, owning a wooden boat is a different world to a steel or iron one. Beware very deep pockets need to come as standard, I know after one BCN Joey, One BCN LLL tug "Swallow" and two small Ricky motors, Neptune and King George (Umbriel).

Beech is a lovely boat. Hope she gets a good home.

I remember being tied up next to Beech with Neptune at Stenson in the 1980's, she had two lengths of (I think) railway line attached to the lining board to help her stay straight, looking at her now it seems to have paid off.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the short bit of Star Class Butty Rigal .... going backwards.

The real bargain is the mooring package that comes with it: -

"Live aboard a house boat on the canal in Central London, Watford, Uxbridge, Richmond or Berkhamsted, Milton Keynes, Birmingham or anywhere on the canal."

I wonder how they arranged that?

Doesn't appear to be much elegant Harland and Wolff steelwork remaining below the waterline, unfortunately, from the photos!

The counter stern of this boat is the new bit, dating from the 1980's. I photographed this section of RIGAL during October 1984 in the process of being built / fitted whilst on the bank near Alvechurch captain.gif

No idea about condition, but for anybody seeking to enter the world of historic boat ownership, and without a fortune to spend, this doesn't seem a bad deal to me at all, at face value.

The "butty going backwards" bow is still fairly convincingly "Star" class, and the whole lines of the boat not unattractive, (said from knowledge of the boat locally, rather than just studying the adverts).

What is not clear from the ad is that those photos of a lettered red and green cabin pre-date a later colour scheme, as last time I saw it it was all over blue. This unfortunately had made it look far less like something "real", and it was easy to miss that it was on a largely historic hull. A more traditional paint job could IMO improve it enormously.

If I were into "historics" but only had £20K to spend, I'd certainly look at this one.

If I were into "historics" but only had £20K to spend, I'd certainly look at this one.

Yes me too.

That bow doesn't look to me like a butty stern, although Pete is usually (no, always!) right about stuff like this.

Where did the elum hang?

.Where did the elum hang?

As is quite common with the conversions the triangular top part of the stern post has been rounded off and the bracket that supports the bottom pintal has been cut off.

edit = my photograph of RIGAL in October 1984 shows the stern post in its untrimmed state, although the lower bracket had already been removed.

Edited by pete harrison

As is quite common with the conversions the triangular top part of the stern post has been rounded off and the bracket that supports the bottom pintal has been cut off.

Ah I see. Thanks. I will look far more closely next time I see a butty stern so modified...

That bow doesn't look to me like a butty stern, although Pete is usually (no, always!) right about stuff like this.

Where did the elum hang?

Well the other end of "Rigal" is probably much better known by most of us, if only because it has to have been one of the boats that was in various forms on the market for a very long while.

I can't remember all the current detail of this (back) end, but I know it looks less glaringly obviously "back end" than many of them.

An "honest" unpretentious boat this end, and I'm sure somebody will come to love it.