Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Ironclad was moored opposite me recently. Very nice. My residential mooring only takes up to 4.2m beam and I don't think I would be allowed to go wider unfortunately sad.png

That's good, show Ironclad goes out and about and the engine, running gear etc is all there and working. And not the static 'London flat' it might have been.

Go and have a look

It does need to be sympathetically converted, why not just push it with a nice tug.

Regards kris

The missus and I have been debating doing that today. We are based in London and I'm guessing its up in Yorkshire (Sounds like we might be waving at someone doing the opposite journey to look at something similar!) You sound familiar with her, any interesting info to share before I call Alan?

Of course both mikes are speaking from personal experience of sailing a boat such as this one, I imagine.

Yes it is more work than a nb, but very rewarding, it depends on which waterways you choose to cruise on as to how much more work it is. They sail much better, than most modern widebeams. Because of the hull shape.

Are you both sure it's not a case of narrowboat,narrowmindedness syndrome.

Regards kris

We moor near ambush and it seems to swim really well, creating hardly any wash for such a big boat. Derek came past us at Parbold last week and our boat didn't move an inch which wasn't the case when narrow boats passed us. Larkshall should come to Crooke and speak to Derek, he's been working these boats most of his life.

I may keep it where it is. I can then use all of the southern network, probably as far as daventry, and up to Hertford. I think I'm more limited up here. Though I know the shipyards better up here.. It depends on mooring transfer and costs.

Just doing basic conversions, isn't 4.5m over 14ft? If so then getting it up the GU may be an issue.

It looks really good with the low profile cabin but at the expense of low headroom

I also like the fitout and the parakeet flooring.

You mean Farnworth? She's a shortboat I think and can definitely get at least as far as Marsworth top lock if not further.

I think the shortboats are 14ft whereas Ironclad is apparently 14ft9 (according to a surveyor) which may be restrictive.

Fine on Thames and up the lower GU :)

I like the name Ironclad it's most good.

You mean Farnworth? She's a shortboat I think and can definitely get at least as far as Marsworth top lock if not further

I like the name Ironclad it's most good.

If its the Beastie that was at rickmansworth then that's the one. I was possibly being fed tall tails from a neighbouring narrowboat....

Great name, love the boat too, just can't justify paying the London special pricing.

Just to be sure - are we talking about the 4.5 metre boat? If so, I doubt if you would get it further north (by water)than Milton Keynes. There are a couple of bridges in MK where its virtually impossible to get two narrow boats through when breasted up, and thats only 14'. 4.5 metres is nearer 14'9". I remember some years ago having to drag one back out of a bridge - I think it was 81a or 81b - he had got as far as this, then had to rethink and take it back south. I'm going on distant memory here but I think that was a L&L boat.

Noted thanks

Agents? What agents?

The boat is advertised as a private sale. Are you not discussing this directly with the owners, Adrian and

But either way, I think asking to take the boat out has rattled them, as it is possibly a landmark and not moved off the mooring for years. Boats of this nature are more of a challenge to go cruising in than a NB. I guess a question about what sort of toilet it has will give an indication of how often it moves. I bet it has a Port Potti!i do intend to

I'd also say a request for a cruise in a boat of this size is appropriate once you've viewed it and said in principle you're still interested. You'll need to convince the seller you aren't a fender kicker. Every casual enquirer would love a free trip out on a boat so its reasonable for the vendor to apply some sort of filter. Maybe if you offered £50 for fuel it would make you look less like a fender kicker.

I will offer diesel money, had thought £60.00 ok?

My original contract was via a mate at apolloduck

Noted thanks

I will offer diesel money, had thought £60.00 ok?

My original contract was via a mate at apolloduck

I'm sure that will immediately set you apart from the dreamers calling to view. £60 in reality is WAY more than the diesel will cost of a trip to the winding hole and back, but best not to look parsimonious.

Might be an idea to do some research as to how far this is (and therefore how much of their time it will take), and how they will turn the boat again after returning to the mooring. Offer to help with this too I suggest. This will show you up as a thoughtful and serious enquirer too, imv.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

If its the Beastie that was at rickmansworth then that's the one. I was possibly being fed tall tails from a neighbouring narrowboat....

Great name, love the boat too, just can't justify paying the London special pricing.

Farnworth is usually moored on the offside half way between Batchworth and Lot Mead where all the houseboats are.

I had a chat on the phone with the seller of Ironclad earlier and he said it is being sold with the 'London weighting' mooring. Its not really worth selling it without as although its not in the 'choicest' area it does add a certain amount of value to the boat as it is apparently transferable. But it also makes it a bit more difficult to sell unless the "right" buyer comes along who actually wants the mooring as well as the boat.

Edited by magnetman

I can't see why Farnworth should not easily be able to do any of the Southern GU. It is certainly not the only short boat on there, and all the locks have a considerable margin over any normally quoted nominal quoted width, I believe.

When John Lilley had Mersey on the GUC c1970, we did have to alter the new concrete towpath coping on a bridge on the Birmingham side of the Northampton arm to allow the boat through. I think he mentions how far he got in his book about owning the boat.

On dimensions, the short steel L&LC boats tend to be around 14ft 4ins, with the long ones marginally wider as the long locks tend to be marginally wider than the short ones. In 1887, the narrowest lock was Newlay at 15 feet 2 inches, with the long lock at Appley being 15 feet 5 inches. The locks at Liverpool were built to 16 feet to allow flats to reach the canal which was deepened there to accommodate them.

Farnworth is usually moored on the offside half way between Batchworth and Lot Mead where all the houseboats are.

I had a chat on the phone with the seller of Ironclad earlier and he said it is being sold with the 'London weighting' mooring. Its not really worth selling it without as although its not in the 'choicest' area it does add a certain amount of value to the boat as it is apparently transferable. But it also makes it a bit more difficult to sell unless the "right" buyer comes along who actually wants the mooring as well as the boat.

Yep, that's the one. Agree on the selling challenge, I would be interested if it wasn't for the weighting (depending on the %). Saying that, London prices can be a bit rich even without a mooring!

I can't see why Farnworth should not easily be able to do any of the Southern GU

If it is the case it would certainly increase my interest in acquiring one. I've seen a few go past me this year (Willow wren wharf) but didn't know whether they were just doing the London loop.