Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The starter will be 24v, I've got to run a similar arrangement myself.

Ambush which is the same kind of boat has a 5lw installed.

Regards kris

Thanks Kris, I'm going to see it sat pm. Told the agents I'll want to move it at least a couple of miles, want to see if the systems run ok. Am waiting for phone back from agent. He wasn't amused. Am I being too pushy?, it's a lotta money, and before I fork out for a survey, I want it not to be in vain.

Thanks Kris, I'm going to see it sat pm. Told the agents I'll want to move it at least a couple of miles, want to see if the systems run ok. Am waiting for phone back from agent. He wasn't amused. Am I being too pushy?, it's a lotta money, and before I fork out for a survey, I want it not to be in vain.

If you really want to understand this boat, I think it's reasonable to want to take her out. On the other hand, I wonder if this is necessary on a first visit. And, it is a lot of money

Richard

You would not buy a car without taking it for a test drive, would you? Why should a boat be different? If the agent is nervous about you moving her, ask yourself why that might be.

I don't think your being fussy, but I suppose they would rather make sure your serious before going for a sail. Stop pleasure trippers.

Regards kris

Fair comment, Kris. But as Mr. Hall is in Selby (Yorkshire) and the boat is in London, he can't be expected to make numerous trips to the mooring, it makes sense to request a test chug on the same day as his viewing visit.

Agents? What agents?

The boat is advertised as a private sale. Are you not discussing this directly with the owners, Adrian and Llinos?

But either way, I think asking to take the boat out has rattled them, as it is possibly a landmark and not moved off the mooring for years. Boats of this nature are more of a challenge to go cruising in than a NB. I guess a question about what sort of toilet it has will give an indication of how often it moves. I bet it has a Port Potti!

I'd also say a request for a cruise in a boat of this size is appropriate once you've viewed it and said in principle you're still interested. You'll need to convince the seller you aren't a fender kicker. Every casual enquirer would love a free trip out on a boat so its reasonable for the vendor to apply some sort of filter. Maybe if you offered £50 for fuel it would make you look less like a fender kicker.

I think maybe before you drive all the way to view the boat, it might be wise to ask the agent / owner 'when was the last time this boat moved any distance under her own power?' - it sounds like you want a boat to go cruising on rather than a floating London flat.

I think maybe before you drive all the way to view the boat, it might be wise to ask the agent / owner 'when was the last time this boat moved any distance under her own power?' - it sounds like you want a boat to go cruising on rather than a floating London flat.

Yes that sums it up.

I think Larkshall is looking at the latter rather than the former, and hasn't sussed this.

The engine in a boat like this is very important to the owner if the boat is in regular use. This seller barely mentions it, and doesn't even include a photo in the advert!

Of course both mikes are speaking from personal experience of sailing a boat such as this one, I imagine.

Yes it is more work than a nb, but very rewarding, it depends on which waterways you choose to cruise on as to how much more work it is. They sail much better, than most modern widebeams. Because of the hull shape.

Are you both sure it's not a case of narrowboat,narrowmindedness syndrome.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

Of course both mikes are speaking from personal experience of sailing a boat such as this one, I imagine.

Yes it is more work than a nb, but very rewarding, it depends on which waterways you choose to cruise on as to how much more work it is. They sail much better, than most modern widebeams. Because of the hull shape.

Are you both sure it's not a case of narrowboat,narrowmindedness syndrome.

Regards kris

Which waterway do you recommend Larkshall demands the seller takes it then, for this test cruise?

Genuinely interested!

The one it's on mike, obviously. But that doesn't mean it has to be kept on that one in definately.

Regards kris

Well I stand by my comment. I maintain a 20m x 4.5m boat is more of a handful than a 20m x 2.1m narrowboat, wherever you take it.

I may keep it where it is. I can then use all of the southern network, probably as far as daventry, and up to Hertford. I think I'm more limited up here. Though I know the shipyards better up here.. It depends on mooring transfer and costs.

Bit of a project for someone here

http://www.alanpease.co.uk/boats/lake.html

Lake is a lovely boat, as you say though a big project. It would be good if one of the forum experts could shed light on it's origins. I know the owner and he's not certain of it's provenance.

Regards kris

The photos don't do this boat any justice.

Edited by kris88

With a square stern it is unlikely that she was a flyboat. There were some iron boats built for the L&LC in the late 19th century, though not a lot is known about them. I had always assumed Lake to have been an A&CN boat, possibly built for the maintenance fleet, though they did have boats for working up to Bradford.

I may keep it where it is. I can then use all of the southern network, probably as far as daventry, and up to Hertford. I think I'm more limited up here. Though I know the shipyards better up here.. It depends on mooring transfer and costs.

Just to be sure - are we talking about the 4.5 metre boat? If so, I doubt if you would get it further north (by water)than Milton Keynes. There are a couple of bridges in MK where its virtually impossible to get two narrow boats through when breasted up, and thats only 14'. 4.5 metres is nearer 14'9". I remember some years ago having to drag one back out of a bridge - I think it was 81a or 81b - he had got as far as this, then had to rethink and take it back south. I'm going on distant memory here but I think that was a L&L boat.

Lake is a lovely boat, as you say though a big project. It would be good if one of the forum experts could shed light on it's origins. I know the owner and he's not certain of it's provenance.

Regards kris

The photos don't do this boat any justice.

Nice :wub:

Bit worried about how it would handle once motorised though.

Is the hold cover steel?

Ironclad was moored opposite me recently. Very nice. My residential mooring only takes up to 4.2m beam and I don't think I would be allowed to go wider unfortunately :(

I wonder if it is also for sale without the mooring?

(I realise I am now talking about two boats but did not know Ironclad was for sale as I have not been reading this thread)

'Lake' is nice too maybe a Bantam would be the thing for that one :)