Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Rochester I think on the medway

I agree and she would fit on my mooring which is only 5 hours away by pusher tug but I already have a barge which I am rather keen on laugh.png

Definitely going to be a deal for someone if it has to go by January. 5 or 6 pot Gardner would be my engine choice for that boat smile.png

Yes on the Medway with the M2 bridge in the background, upstream from Rochester and a decent mooring.

not sure if this has been on or if its ok for this thread? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-/161862943770?hash=item25afc8841a:g:wwAAAOSwwbdWJNvY

the front looks a strange shape?

It is a standard BW work boat - the equivalent of a work flat, but motorised. (Not sure engine is mentioned, but often something like a Lister ST2)

They vary in type, but here is an example my son David was rescuing a few years back.

IMG_1185.jpg

Although my understanding is that BW initially paid silly money when these basic boats were built by Hancock and Lane, the bow shape, (and indeed the general hull shape!), don't make them the best thing for conversion to a leisure cruising boat.

The buy it now price seems a tad optimistic (!)

Edited by alan_fincher

Lovely boat!

Even has a 'gap', like the FLAMINGO...

448726_5.jpg

Yes, but Flamingo has doors and a hatch above. This only has low doors to the under cloth conversion, so I would imagine getting in and out might be a bit like trying to do so on Flamingo with the slide left shut. Unless I'm missing something obvious that would be really hard work to have to do all the time.

I agree it looks very nice, but I have to say the point of an under cloth conversion is lost on me if you have lots of large chimneys and flues poking up so conspicuously, and windows whose shape is clearly still present even if you cover them over. To my mind you might as well have an honest "box" cabin that allows full standing room across the width of a boat. Also an under-cloth conversion on a Star class boat like this is somewhat more claustophobic than it would be on a Town class boat like Flamingo, because the hull sides are some 7 inches shallower.

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm intrigued by a couple of non-traditional features on Clypeus: why is the "welly rail" split and what's the feature on the front engine room bulkhead that looks like an umbrella holder?

448726_4.jpg

Yes a bit odd, aren't they?

I think the split back end rail see,s to be to do with access to the box above, which might have a hinged lid that would foul it when fully raised. Possibly where the gas bottles are?

The other thing might possibly allow the erection of a rotary drier/antenna mast/large umbrella/large sunshade - who knows!

There is also some kind of apparently permanently mounted vertical tube on the back cabin roof near the bullseye.........

Edited by alan_fincher

having never seen the boat I'd hazard a guess the centre rail is split so that the (gas locker?) rail can open.

And the bracket it above it caters for a wind generator or similar ......?

I see alan_fincher is of similar thoughts'ing

having never seen the boat I'd hazard a guess the centre rail is split so that the (gas locker?) lid can open.

And the bracket it above it caters for a wind generator or similar ......?

ETA

I see alan_fincher is of similar thoughts'ing