Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Do such things actually exist? I have never seen one and I would like to see how these look, and how they are laid out. Does anyone have any pictures?

I would love to own a historic unconverted narrowboat, but Mrs S just won't do the back cabin living bit and after having owned two boats at the same time in the past, owning a second boat is not an option.

When we bought Owl in 1989 it had a pod in the hold. It was craned out at Sileby and the former owner lived in it on land for a while.

003-1.jpg

scan0010.jpg

I thought it looked ugly and rather incongruous so we didn't keep it.

Do such things actually exist? I have never seen one and I would like to see how these look, and how they are laid out. Does anyone have any pictures?

I would love to own a historic unconverted narrowboat, but Mrs S just won't do the back cabin living bit and after having owned two boats at the same time in the past, owning a second boat is not an option.

Pod here, with thanks to the photo owners.

13689512155_d31cbfa427.jpg

13689562113_1c0b6d9dcd.jpg

I thought it looked ugly and rather incongruous so we didn't keep it.

It sounds like canalchef's pod is profiled to the cloths rather than the cabin, so I guess that must look better (at the expense of some living space).

Without being funny, do you mean "a huge loss" on what you actually bought it for, or "a huge loss" on what you consider it ought to be worth in the current market place.

That's a genuine question, as I have no idea how long you may have owned it, what you paid for it, or what condition it was in when you bought it, (and I'm not necessarily expecting you to tell us!).

The problem is that few people are equipped to take on this kind of major engineering work themselves, however much potential they see in your boat. So in doing their sums, most will be looking at what one of the recognised restorers will actually charge for the work, not what you think it should be possible to get it done for.

If there were someone who would do a good job for less, presumably you might consider getting them to do it?

I did say all along if you go to WFB or Brinklow ect for a quote you will need to take a defibrillator with you.

I have priced it up in the region of 5 grand to do it all hands on myself ( I am a qualified welder )

This is definitely not the time to sell such boats, I won't be advertising it anymore.

It sounds like canalchef's pod is profiled to the cloths rather than the cabin, so I guess that must look better (at the expense of some living space).

It is matter of personal taste. My taste is the removable steel pod that is not pretending to be something that it isn't. I have strong views on clothed up empty boats - all of which are negative, unless the boat is earning its keep as a camping boat.

I recall the Currell's fitted a pod into F.M.C. Ltd. KESTREL (previously named OSTRICH) in the 1970's, and it looked remarkably similar to the one at Sileby in the photographs.

Edited by pete harrison

I did say all along if you go to WFB or Brinklow ect for a quote you will need to take a defibrillator with you.

I have priced it up in the region of 5 grand to do it all hands on myself ( I am a qualified welder )

This is definitely not the time to sell such boats, I won't be advertising it anymore.

My guess is that if you do the work, you will easily sell her

Richard

I recall the Currell's fitted a pod into F.M.C. Ltd. KESTREL (originally named OSTRICH) in the 1970's, and it looked remarkably similar to the one at Sileby in the photographs.

After a little research through my own notes I have established that the pod at Sileby is the same one that was originally in the hold of KESTREL (previously named OSTRICH).

My guess is that if you do the work, you will easily sell her

Richard

Do you think that the work being done by a recognised builder or restorer will make selling even easier or give a price premium?

Edited by Speedwheel

Re. the pod idea, for extra accommodation I put a 6' x 8' wooden garden shed in the hold of a Northwich motor, back of the mast, some 35 plus years ago. It was mounted on some timber bearers and worked a treat-fitted nicely under the top plank, door at each end, relatively easy to lift out and considerably cheaper than a dedicated pod idea. From the side view, purists usually had to a double-take before noticing it, especially if you left it half-clothed over. It was quite nice and comfortable for guests, and when you're done with it-put it in the garden or sell it on!

Do you think that the work being done by a recognised builder or restorer will make selling even easier or give a price premium?

No idea. Selling a boat that doesn't need work will be easier than selling one that does

Richard

That is stunning!

No good, no mention of leeboards, & I don't like what they've done to the foredeck, in removing the original Barrel Windlass & putting that huge opening hatch in the deck.

Shame about the portholes, though I can fully understand the reasons for fitting them.

Just picking a few nits.

Curious that the radius of the hold hatch covers is much tighter than were on the Beecliffe, and most other Keels that I've seen with Carling hatch boards. Not obvious from the pics whether that is an alteration, maybe to make the covers stiffer, or just following the original, but it does look as though the whole hatch has been raised by several inches.

I wouldn't say no if offered as a gift, though ;)

Tim

Just picking a few nits.

Me: Can I have a Keel please?

She: No.

Me: Can I have this one?

She: Yes!

So the screensaver is now the Southcliffe gallery with a few pictures of available knackered keels mixed in to show the "potential" if I dedicate my life and health to a restoration job.

After a little research through my own notes I have established that the pod at Sileby is the same one that was originally in the hold of KESTREL (previously named OSTRICH).

I bought "pod" off MR O'Callaghan who owned Kestrel at the time and I had it put into OWL which I had just de-converted at Aylesbury in the late 80's so the one above is the same. I lived in it for a year, it was a bit narrow as there was no space below the gunwhales so as to remove it. But it did keep my feet dry as Owl used to regularly take a lot of water on with it wooden bottom at the time! lol

Although I have not looked over pods in any great detail, what I think I would find very limiting about them i that they need to be able to from between the boat's wooden gunwales, presumably limiting the maximum external width of the pod the whole way down to probably well less than 6'6", (that's a guessed number though!).

By the time you have added any decent insulation and a wood lining, I'm envisaging something that would lack quite a few vital inches over what you would get if you just fit out a steel boat.

Perhaps I'm maligning them, but the idea fails to appeal to me. Maybe OK if you own a boatyard, and your own crane, so can lift it in and out at will, but for most of us who don't, let's be honest, you would probably never remove it. Might as well put a proper conversion on, and have more living space!

Although I have not looked over pods in any great detail, what I think I would find very limiting about them i that they need to be able to from between the boat's wooden gunwales, presumably limiting the maximum external width of the pod the whole way down to probably well less than 6'6", (that's a guessed number though!).

By the time you have added any decent insulation and a wood lining, I'm envisaging something that would lack quite a few vital inches over what you would get if you just fit out a steel boat.

Perhaps I'm maligning them, but the idea fails to appeal to me. Maybe OK if you own a boatyard, and your own crane, so can lift it in and out at will, but for most of us who don't, let's be honest, you would probably never remove it. Might as well put a proper conversion on, and have more living space!

Ah but make the pod look like a large packing case, stencil "Machinery for Apapa, via Regents Canal Dock" on the outside and you GUCCC men would really look the part.smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

I'm sure that pod at Sileby is still there! Will have a look as we pass the day after tomorrow.

The pod is still there - the more recent photo of it is one of mine from an earlier thread. We more about 20m from it but currently not there as we are about to take a short break cruising.

you certainly weren't there yesterday when we overheated in the lock. and had to do a quick u-turn in the wier stream to return to base for further investigation of a strange cooling system.(horizontal car radiator in coat cupboard emitting steam!!)

Well this.....

would imply to me that despite not looking that way in the pictures, that it is probably a wooden-top not in the best possible health.

It is a motorised BCN day boat of some kind, but I'm not enough of an expert to recognise a particular type.

Would not have originally had a name. Its history is probably only traceable if it still carries a BCN plate.

There is a good chance that a boat like this could be spread in excess of 7 feet beam, if nothing has been done to hold the sides in, and it has a wooden cabin pressing down from above.

The price seems OK, but if it is a wooden top with a possibly dodgy engine, not particularly a bargain.

The picture is not clear, but looks like just the bow is riveted. The rest of the hull looks straight steel plate?

The picture is not clear, but looks like just the bow is riveted. The rest of the hull looks straight steel plate?

That's not how I'm seeing it from the limited pictures available.

Look at the side on one, (shot over what I assume is one of the Charity Dock hulks). You can clearly see rivets along the heavy guard at the top, and on the joints where each successive plate overlaps.

I think it is "mostly BCN boat", other than maybe what they don't want us to see at the back end.

SOUTHCLIFFE's fit out does look lovely, especially the back cabin (or is it front cabin?!) anyway - where the crew kipped and lived when not on deck.

But you don't need that much space to live in nice as it is, and then you've got to find somewhere to park it, then it becomes a static exhibit, which defies its reason for being built. This leads us down the road of scrap the lot and live on the bank.

I do like the shed idea. I scratch built one 12' square in the Father-in-Law's garden ( to escape the F-in-Law). 11' to the ridge, fully lined, fitted double bed aloft, antique French range, plates and clocks and brass - along with a bench tools and motorbike. Home can be many things, but being tempted into a socking great Dutchman back in 1980 probably wasn't my best move (first boat and all that). But if we hadn't, we would have missed out on some life changing memories that have listeners in awe and envy. Sometimes you have to follow your heart.

Currently our kitchen is heading towards a similarity to SOUTHCLIFFE's cabin. It'll be nice.