Is *anyone* going to Braunston this year?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

I shall be travelling from the North East to the South West on either Saturday or Sunday and I was thinking of dropping in for a few hours. It appears that this evening I may have ruffled the feathers of every narrow boat carrier (retail coal / diesel / pump-out) so perhaps it is better that I stay away :captain:

But I thought we'd established that none of them are coming, so you should be fine and I'd love to say hello and thanks in person.

(Wonder if James will be there with Archimedes?)

Where can I moor safely then, and not get in the way? Before or after braunston tunnel.

Where are you now? How long do you plan to be in Braunston? Will you be there for the Festival, or will you need to visit Braunston?

The moorings near the marina are all suspended - they weren't yet on Saturday, but I think it's today that they are closed from.

At the top of the locks there was plenty of space on Saturday - but I don't know how many days you can moor there. The other moorings you may be able to use are past the marina, and left 'round the corner' - Braunston Puddle Banks. I don't know how many days you can stay there, it's not clear from Waterscape where the 48hr and 14 day moorings are.

It's a longish walk over the hill if you are moored on the other side of the tunnel if you need to visit Braunston itself.

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm not sure what your needs are - passing through, stopping for a day, or for a week or so.

Cheers

Cath

Where are you now? How long do you plan to be in Braunston? Will you be there for the Festival, or will you need to visit Braunston?

The moorings near the marina are all suspended - they weren't yet on Saturday, but I think it's today that they are closed from.

At the top of the locks there was plenty of space on Saturday - but I don't know how many days you can moor there. The other moorings you may be able to use are past the marina, and left 'round the corner' - Braunston Puddle Banks. I don't know how many days you can stay there, it's not clear from Waterscape where the 48hr and 14 day moorings are.

It's a longish walk over the hill if you are moored on the other side of the tunnel if you need to visit Braunston itself.

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm not sure what your needs are - passing through, stopping for a day, or for a week or so.

Cheers

Cath

Going to the festival, and at stoke bruene tonight. Going through the tunnel Wednesday morning. Will try to get through braunston tunnel by Friday, if not, will have to walk over the hill. Was just wandering if towpath mooring before the tunnel was do able. The puddle banks sounds good. Thanks

Going to the festival, and at stoke bruene tonight. Going through the tunnel Wednesday morning. Will try to get through braunston tunnel by Friday, if not, will have to walk over the hill. Was just wandering if towpath mooring before the tunnel was do able. The puddle banks sounds good. Thanks

The first 100m above the top lock is 48hr, after that to the tunnel it is 14 days.

After the marina, the first available moorings are just past the junction on the north oxford, and beyond the junction on the grand union, both these stretches are 14 days.

The first 100m above the top lock is 48hr, after that to the tunnel it is 14 days.

After the marina, the first available moorings are just past the junction on the north oxford, and beyond the junction on the grand union, both these stretches are 14 days.

Cheers Matty :-)

Edited by jenlyn

I was hoping Zodiac might have been attending. I understand she is normally based at Braunston. Anyone know where she might be?

In past years it has sometimes been in the vicinity, (where I believe it often is anyway ?), but I can't recall Zodiac actively taking part at any I've attended. Happy to be corrected though, if it has been in recent years.

It's a few years since we visited the discovery park (which I remember from my schooldays as Snibston Mine, and even remeber seeing steam tank engines shunting around it), maybe we were there about 2003. I remember everything looking neatly cared for. From your photos, not just the boat but other exhibits have been allowed to deteriorate, with mature weeds all around. Who runs the park these days?

'Belmont' was shoved into the corner to make way for an adventure playground. She's in the care of Leicester Museums, originally at the Abbey Park museum in Leicester but plans changed and she was sent to Snibston, who didn't really want her in the first place. When I enquired of her future 4-5 years ago there were no plans at all. I understand that as a museum asset they are unable to sell her to an individual, they could only dispose of her to an organisation with similar aims to the museum.

An opportunity for the Narrow Boat Trust perhaps?

In past years it has sometimes been in the vicinity, (where I believe it often is anyway ?), but I can't recall Zodiac actively taking part at any I've attended. Happy to be corrected though, if it has been in recent years.

I remember it being at one, perhaps 4 - 5 years ago.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I was hoping to go, but I don't think I am going to make it. :( I am going to be doing a two day boating trip instead, but if it is too windy for boating I will head up there. It will be a shame to miss it.. but.....! The weekends just aren't long enough.

• Greenie 1

It seems there is a bit of infighting between the boaters up there at the minute. Workboats and tugs telling the private owners to stay away.

What does that mean? Where has the notion of infighting come from? It is my understanding that, as in previous years, BW have withdrawn most of the visitor moorings from use to enable historic boats to assemble for the weekend. That happens every year, and although we will not be taking our boat to Braunston this year, in past years we have always managed to get moored on the puddle banks a couple of days before the show. Is there something different about this year?

I'm a newcomer to the Braunston event, and the last 2 times I've been, the moorings from the Stop House to the Junction have been available for visiters, and the moorings from the Marina entrance upto the UCC moorings were reserved for historic craft.

This year it seems that the moorings from the stop house to the junction have been reserved for historic craft and so are a "no go" for visiting boats.

It's been said that its not needed though as there aren't as many boats going this year but I can understand the reason behind it - as in to stop the historic boats being 5 or 6 abreast in the main channel.

This year it seems that the moorings from the stop house to the junction have been reserved for historic craft and so are a "no go" for visiting boats.

It's been said that its not needed though as there aren't as many boats going this year but I can understand the reason behind it - as in to stop the historic boats being 5 or 6 abreast in the main channel.

But why stop it? If a fully loaded pair can get past on the outside of

5 or 6 boats abreast, then what's the problem?

I don't know David, I'm just passing on what I've picked up on the Internet over the past day or so.

I saw no problem with packing the stretch between the marina and the ladder bridge with boats. I think that the system of diverting south bound boats through the marina was a good idea and although slow going during the parade, it worked.

Somebody on Facebook has posted "What's all this about Braunston, it's a HISTORIC boat gathering!" and I agree. It's only for one weekend of the year.

We arrived with Reg this evening, the mooring restrictions are in place all the way from Braunston turn up to Bottom lock (other than the designated long term moorings.) Also interestingly, they are dated from today up until the 1st July.

1st of July??? They can shove that. Whats going on star?

1st of July??? They can shove that. Whats going on star?

It was a week either side of last years event, for those who work and have to weekend their boat back to base.