Is *anyone* going to Braunston this year?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Forgot to mention in my last post that Jules and Richard will be there on Towcester and Bideford.

Last I knew was that Belmont is beached at Snibston Discovery Park

There were claims in This thread that it was cut up about 2005, but I'm sure I've seen far more recent evidence of its continuing existence than this.

In view of Carl's comments, I personally don't know if it isstill there, or not.

Anybody ?

Last summer (can't remember exactly when), Belmont was still in a very sorry condition at Snibston looking very much as we'd seen her in July 2009:

gallery_5802_2_49883.jpg

gallery_5802_2_55263.jpg

med_gallery_5802_2_60867.jpg

med_gallery_5802_2_4281.jpg

Sorry about the last image, but it transferred to the forum on it's side and an error occurred when I tried to rotate it.

I don't know if anything's happened to her in the last year.

Peter

It's a few years since we visited the discovery park (which I remember from my schooldays as Snibston Mine, and even remeber seeing steam tank engines shunting around it), maybe we were there about 2003. I remember everything looking neatly cared for. From your photos, not just the boat but other exhibits have been allowed to deteriorate, with mature weeds all around. Who runs the park these days?

Yes Ditchcrawler, they have signs up saying that it's sold in the 60/40 split and that that is not open to negotiation.

Just registered Reginald for the rally on behalf of MB, and as of my doing that an hour ago, we were the 58th boat confirmed as going.

Yes Ditchcrawler, they have signs up saying that it's sold in the 60/40 split and that that is not open to negotiation.

Just registered Reginald for the rally on behalf of MB, and as of my doing that an hour ago, we were the 58th boat confirmed as going.

You are really getting into this boating lark, good for you.

I'm trying! :D

President and Kildare were here being washed and polished near the diesel point earlier on this afternoon.

I was pleased to actually recognise President this time, as not having heard of steam narrowboats the last time it was here, I saw a big group of people standing around looking and pointing at it, and clouds of what I thought were smoke billowing from it... I thought it was on fire until I got closer. :blush:

That butty's got your name on it Peter and you know it... :help:

No way. Getting too long in the tooth.

It's a few years since we visited the discovery park (which I remember from my schooldays as Snibston Mine, and even remeber seeing steam tank engines shunting around it), maybe we were there about 2003. I remember everything looking neatly cared for. From your photos, not just the boat but other exhibits have been allowed to deteriorate, with mature weeds all around. Who runs the park these days?

Snibston Discovery Park is run by Leicestershire County Council. The main building is modern and well looked after. Outside is less well maintained but still acceptable except for the area immediately around Belmont.

Peter

Oh excellent, that sounds like a fairly decent turnout then after all. Phew.

Ah then! _ I don't know.

I thought I had fairly recently talked to someone who had taken a look at through it, and I thought fairly recently, but am struggling to remember who it was. (Well I have recently turned 60, and such "senior moments" do seem more common these days!....)

Hippy belated birdys to Alan!

Sickle has just commenced a move from Stoke Bruerne up to Braunston.

Boating in the evening is great, and what a joy to get a complete;y clear run through Blisworth Tunnel!

Better at 5am! :-)

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Spotted Sickle passing through Stowe Hill today on the way to Braunston. The only other working boat to come through heading in the direction of Braunston was a Woolwich (little I think) which looks to have been shortened. It usually moors at Stowe Hill.

Edited by sarahavfc

Spotted Sickle passing through Stowe Hill today on the way to Braunston.

And there was me thinking......

"That looks awfully like Sarah, but why would she be at Stowe Hill!" :lol:

It's a sort of "people in context thing" with me - I get thrown if they are not on the "patch" I'm expecting them to be.

So spill the beans, Sarah - what had taken you to Stowe Hill yesterday, then ? Not on the lookout for a nice "faux Josher", surely ? :rolleyes:

We're on our way now too. Done that bit today that takes ten minutes by car and seven hours by boat and stopped just short of Penkridge.

Yeah, but I gather you wimps are going by the "easy route"! :rolleyes:

And there was me thinking......

"That looks awfully like Sarah, but why would she be at Stowe Hill!" :lol:

It's a sort of "people in context thing" with me - I get thrown if they are not on the "patch" I'm expecting them to be.

So spill the beans, Sarah - what had taken you to Stowe Hill yesterday, then ? Not on the lookout for a nice "faux Josher", surely ? :rolleyes:

I had my eye on a nice little Cruiser stern, reverse layout, lovely job... :P

Seriously though, I'm down Stowe Hill quite a lot these days doing a bit of work for Dominic.

Edited by sarahavfc