The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

A great laugh.

"Brace y'sen!" as he rams the bank.

Message to graffiti-ists, "Show some respect!"

And quoting Guy Martin's Mum, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say it at all."

And what a good demo of what can happen if gas builds up in a narrow-boat. And a good vintage toilet flushing competition. What more could you want?

Tone

It is remarkably watchable. If only for the continuity, the power of the producers is fantastic, having Horninglow Basin transferred from Burton upon Trent to the centre of Birmingham. Did anyone else notice the boat seen entering a single lock only to emerge from a wide lock?

Fair do's to him for his interest in the what would now be called an "industrial sculpture" and shinning up a conveniently placed rope.

I wonder what the BSS would have to say about a model steam engine in the cabin, - although I suppose President has one too.

I'll HAVE to watch next week - it is hilarious.

I though that tonights program adds a new twist to the discussions on the forum. Not only do we have the cassette vs pumpout discussion, we now have the "how to plumb a domestic toilet pan into a boat discussion". :wacko:

• Greenie 1

Probably the same as has been said on this forum, but what a marvellous idea.

I'm sure David Suchet is well known to motor cyclists the world over as 'The Belgian Detective' but

possibly not as a narrowboat enthusiast.

Poirot using his 'little grey cells' to build a motor cycle. Can you imagine his walk after lapping

the I.O.M. TT course at 180mph

I'd watch it. ( The programme that is - not his walk)

:cheers:

John H.

:) Brill

One of the best programs I have ever seen, the fact that my boat was in the program 3 times has nowt to do with my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Tonight is a right load of crap

Just goes to show how different we all are on 'ere.

I thought this weeks was far better than last weeks

It was brilliant - I was laughing out loud at some of their carry-ons

Alex

I watched it this evening and I have to say I don't really get it. What's the point of the steam driven water pump? Imagine having to get it going everytime you want water and having to vent all that steam from the inside of the boat. Why not just have a DC pump like everyone else? I guess that might not make good TV, but don't understand the obsession with all things Victorian on the programme - it doesn't look much like a Victorian narrowboat to me.

I missed the first episode, so I watched the one tonight deliberately trying to ignore the fact that they were on a narrowboat, and that the location continuity was not all it might be. But most of it was still rubbish, It was like watching two silly giggling schoolboys most of the time, and the only informative bit was the Industrial Archaeologist who demostrated how to make soap.

I was not impressed how they managed to hit several other boats and found it funny, but the most uforgivable bit was that they had a golden opportunity to explaion in simple terms how a steam engine worked, but instead wasted time moaning about grafitti.

I will not be bothering to watch any more episodes.

Fine, but calling it "The boat that Guy built" is completely misleading. Who built the shell? What is that "1931" engine? Will the general public be drawn to the canals by some himbo making his own mugs and sticking a few bricks together to emulate the process of producing cast iron a la Abraham Darby?

Utter rubbish television, that could have been so good. We might as well have, "The Cornish Crabber that Guy built," on which we have brief glimpses of a fine wooden yawl, no information about it, but footage of the owner mining his own tin and making pasties.

I don't know if the word bollocks is allowed on this forum , but the programme was exactly that.

I`ve missed most of this topic - and, from a "canal" point of view don`t find thr programme remotely offensive. Sorry but I enjoyed it! T answer two points here; I could list several well known boatbuilders who are, in fact, boat-fitters of other people`s steelwork - so why is the title an issue? There`s plenty of precedent. The engine , as all us old folks know, is a LISTER jp2 - but I don`t suppose the majority of viewers would be remotely fascinated by the information! They`re only really of interest to owners of modern expensive "trads" because of the kertonk kertonk noise they make. Personally I hate the damn things.Give me an HA2 anyday

Phil

:) Brill

One of the best programs I have ever seen, the fact that my boat was in the program 3 times has nowt to do with my opinion.

:rolleyes:

I presume your boat wasn't one of those that was rammed?

Just a couple of lads trying to fit out a narrowboat with modern facilities, using Victorian ideas. (Don't believe they had electric

pumps or showers on working boats)

I thought it was very funny. No swearing, no violence, just a good laugh at their antics.

He even tried to instill some civic pride in a passing youth.

Now I see were it's going I'll view with a different perspective.

Anyway it's got narrowboats in it.!!!!!

:cheers:

John H.

Edited by sumajan

After reserving judgement when I watched the first programme I must say I thouroughly enjoyed the second.

If you take it as a programme for prime time entertainment I like it, certainly not designed for purists or rivet counters.

It is the tele' equivalent of a "coffee table" book.

Light and refreshing.

Edited by Ray T

I thought it was fun and mildly informative. It's not exactly Panorama or Blue Planet but hey, the standard of Victorian porcelain was outstanding!

Guy is a funny and engaging character.

I've got an idea for a program that will make this forum explode - "The boat that the Top Gear team built" :)