The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I presume your boat wasn't one of those that was rammed?

Yes they seemed unbothered about hitting other boats. If he rammed me with a smile an friendly greeting I might be just a little unhappy. I guess such bits are edited out of this joyful piece of entertainment. I quite enjoy it apart from the somewhat limited use of english reducing it to a few interesting phases that tend to dull when repeated over and over.

I noted their USED to be more canal than Venice but maybe his colliding with every thing means there arn't anymore.

The classic bit was the man in the hoodie in the park with the steam engine. Being confronted by some wild looking man an a film crew one wonders how many before him legged it. When he agreed with our hero one gained the impression of what the pumping engine did was limited. In that setting he reminded me of a certain religious nut who used to be in Mork from Ork.

Incidentally does anyone know where the wide locks were. The narrow one was a jump back (given they were in Sherbourne Street to make the soap etc) to them entering the bottom lock at Wolverhampton. As for the bridge jump we wondered if that was at Stoke or maybe at the Black country museum given the green bridge round the bend. It would have been nice if white van man had shot over the bridge just as our hero arrived so he could somersult over that too.

Maybe next week he can do the same trick of him over, boat under on a trials bike using the boat top as a takeoff/landing zone. Certainly the original last night was clever but should carry a health warning.

:rolleyes:

Didn't enjoy last night's as much as the first one, maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind but I gave up after 20 minutes to go and eat tea! Did find the continual 'boss' and other terms mildly irritating too. Ah well will still give it a go next week and see.

WE didnt take it seriously and enjoyed the overall amusement factor,

like many such characters there a few ruff corners, but they have a them that they losely stick too and it also include shots of boats on canals, which makes a nive change,

certainly better than any "soap" thats on..

I must say we were quite dissappointed at the lack of respect these two clowns seemed to show to other boaters and their property. Laughing off any collosions they had. I feel sorry for the owner of the poor cruiser they managed to squash before continuing on their merry way as though nothing had happened :angry:

Aside from the poor boat handling we found the programme mildy interesting. We gained on piece of valuable info from the programme. The old toilet sitting on our decking that we use as a flower pot is heading off to the auction house once the cordyline is rehoused :cheers:

:) Brill

One of the best programs I have ever seen, the fact that my boat was in the program 3 times has nowt to do with my opinion.

:rolleyes:

I presume he didn't hit it then, like all the other boats down there?!

Give me an HA2 anyday

Phil

Uck! Horrible nasty high reving noisey lumps. If you're going to go that way you might as well get a nice HR2! (and they make slightly quieter water cooled versions also)

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

I must say we were quite dissappointed at the lack of respect these two clowns seemed to show to other boaters and their property. Laughing off any collosions they had. I feel sorry for the owner of the poor cruiser they managed to squash before continuing on their merry way as though nothing had happened :angry:

Bugger!

I decided not to watch it. ..... Sounds like there was some good content after all!.........

(That was an attempt at a JOKE, Mr Gaggle, before I get pilloried for advocating destruction of people's property again. Please people, don't go deliberately hitting plastic boats with big steel ones).

Uck! Horrible nasty high reving noisey lumps. If you're going to go that way you might as well get a nice HR2! (and they make slightly quieter water cooled versions also)

Mike

Nah, the HA is IMO a better engine than the HR. Slightly lower rpm, less stressed, HA2 is just right for a 'proper' Narrow Boat (apart from the noise)

Tim

Nah, the HA is IMO a better engine than the HR. Slightly lower rpm, less stressed, HA2 is just right for a 'proper' Narrow Boat (apart from the noise)

Tim

Maybe so, but I'll stick to my JP2! :-)

Mike

I must say we were quite disappointed at the lack of respect these two clowns seemed to show to other boaters and their property. Laughing off any collosions they had. I feel sorry for the owner of the poor cruiser they managed to squash before continuing on their merry way as though nothing had happened :angry:

I agree, what a shame that they kept in the bit where they showed no respect for other boats (and edited out the bit where the poor BBC programme gofers run around after them, doing all the apologising).

They do seem to like repeating what each other say (more than once), which is slightly irritating, but overall we are enjoying the programme.

Jo.

I thought it was fun and mildly informative. It's not exactly Panorama or Blue Planet but hey, the standard of Victorian porcelain was outstanding!

Guy is a funny and engaging character.

I've got an idea for a program that will make this forum explode - "The boat that the Top Gear team built" :)

Couldn't find a picture of the actual "Damper Van" but here is a cardboard model:

dampervan.jpg

As built for Top Gear

Edited by Ray T

Blackrose:

I watched it this evening and I have to say I don't really get it. What's the point of the steam driven water pump? Imagine having to get it going everytime you want water and having to vent all that steam from the inside of the boat. Why not just have a DC pump like everyone else?

They did! upstream and in tandem with the steam one as the model did not have the power to lift the water. Didn't you spot it? This programme has as much to do with boating as Top Gear has with motoring - Not a lot!

They did! upstream and in tandem with the steam one as the model did not have the power to lift the water. Didn't you spot it?

It was hardly a secret when they showed the pump being fitted with the accompanying v/o:

The final task is to fit a larger pump; just in case the shower needs a boost.

Tony

First things first, I like this programme and I like Guy as a presenter.

Second but equally important, Tim is right the HA2 is the better engine.I quite like the sound of mine.

I do get fed up with the miseries on here who only seem to delight in nit picking ,canals dont seem to be much fun anymore.

Tone I dont think a lot of this crowd can grasp the concept of fun......I'm out of here for the sake of my sanity. Where's Bazza when you need him.

Edited by madcat

Mike

:wub::blink::blush::cheers:

I must say we were quite dissappointed at the lack of respect these two clowns seemed to show to other boaters and their property.

I know i walking straight in to trap here but,glass houses and stone come to mind.

The best bit was where he stood on top of the boat as it approached a bridge, climbed up and the climbed back down as the boat came out the other side. I think I will try that next time we are out.

Nearly came a cropper then though ...

Snapshot2011-03-1019-19-49.jpg

First things first, I like this programme and I like Guy as a presenter.

Second but equally important, Tim is right the HA2 is the better engine.I quite like the sound of mine.

I do get fed up with the miseries on here who only seem to delight in nit picking ,canals dont seem to be much fun anymore.

Tone I dont think a lot of this crowd can grasp the concept of fun......I'm out of here for the sake of my sanity. Where's Bazza when you need him.

Ahem!