The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Yup, made me laugh after a boring foggy miserable old day :lol: At least the people on here that watched the first programme and thought it a load of bo**ocks won't be critisizing tonight, as they won't have watched it! will they??? :P

Made me laugh as well, I like the visits he does to make things.I dont think he is trying to be an authority on all things boaty just a couple of blokes having a laugh with a bit of history thrown in.

I thought moleskin trousers were made from moles :rolleyes:

And Donkey jackets?

Thought the programme was OK myself. Didn't hit any boats this week. Would love an afternoon at the clock makers where they cut gears etc.

Edited by Guest

And Donkey jackets?

Thought the programme was OK myself. Didn't hit any boats this week. Would love an afternoon at the clock makers where they cut gears etc.

I was amazed that the pig sties were grade one listed .That loom was just amazing

I was amazed that the pig sties were grade one listed .That loom was just amazing

The looms were amazing.

Listed buildings? They'll list owt these days. I work in a horrible concrete sixties style building which has a stone building at the rear of about 150 yrs old. The concrete monstrosity IS listed,the stone building ISN'T.

Guest wanted

With the price of scrap as it is and reports on here about the odd mushroom vent being swiped I can't imagine that bell lasting to long on t'roof!

I enjoyed it tonight though, perfect gentle telly after a stressy day! :cheers:

At least the people on here that watched the first programme and thought it a load of bo**ocks won't be critisizing tonight, as they won't have watched it! will they??? :P

Nope, I didn't watch it tonight, I gave it a fair chance by watching the second even after I saw the miserable first effort but then gave up. I've looked on here to see if it was suddenly brilliant but it seems not..

Gary

At least the people on here that watched the first programme and thought it a load of bo**ocks won't be critisizing tonight, as they won't have watched it! will they??? :P

Probably not.....

But I have actually for the first time ever followed a few episodes of the "Dover" series just starting yet another re-showing on Quest.

I find it hard to be as critical of that, as I might have been, having watched Mr Martin!

We missed the first two episodes and watched it for the first time tonight (having followed this thread)

Sorry but we enjoyed it - and after the comments on here I was expecting it to be dire. I can't understand the snide remarks about his accent - what he speaks is where he come from innit (Estuary Essex me :D)

I have episodes 1 & 2 downloaded and we both look forward to watching them.

It has my vote. Enjoyed it.

Perhaps you need to categorise all boaters into one one of a number of lists.....

1) Those who love this program

2) Those who are neutral on it

3) Those who can't stand it

4) Those who have never watched it....

Etc...... :rolleyes:

like it or lump it ...

There is no denying its pulling in huge audiences on one of televisions most difficult slots.

All these people sat at home, suddenly finding an interest in the canals, might feel like taking a walk on the towpath, or start to develop an interest in any of the topics mentionned.

It might ruffle a few beards, crease a few anoraks... but we do need that exposure.

And besides our need for more coverage, I just genuinely like the idea of more people taking a new look at industrial heritage and the canal network. Its just nice.

:D

• Greenie 2

like it or lump it ...

There is no denying its pulling in huge audiences on one of televisions most difficult slots.

All these people sat at home, suddenly finding an interest in the canals, might feel like taking a walk on the towpath, or start to develop an interest in any of the topics mentionned.

It might ruffle a few beards, crease a few anoraks... but we do need that exposure.

And besides our need for more coverage, I just genuinely like the idea of more people taking a new look at industrial heritage and the canal network. Its just nice.

:D

I'm afraid that it has missed the younger target audience that a lot of members on here thing it is aimed at. In fact it only seems to suit the 'beard and anorak' brigade.

The BBC have picked a presenter they think the younger viewers will like, only to get it wrong again. I teach at a secondary school and not one of them has watched more than 5 minutes of an episode.

If it is pulling in audiences at the 7.30 slot it is because it suits the armchair viewer who has no interest in getting up and out, exploring these things for themselves.

I'm restoring one of my bikes at the moment so not watching it, but I came in for a cuppa and heard all this tittering and chatter.

The missus and daughter seemed to be really enjoying it. I mentioned the massive differences of opinion on it on this site and the daughter just said "Yeah, but most of them are a bunch of boring anorak stiffs". I had no reply..hahahah

• Greenie 1

I'm afraid that it has missed the younger target audience that a lot of members on here thing it is aimed at. In fact it only seems to suit the 'beard and anorak' brigade.

The BBC have picked a presenter they think the younger viewers will like, only to get it wrong again. I teach at a secondary school and not one of them has watched more than 5 minutes of an episode.

If it is pulling in audiences at the 7.30 slot it is because it suits the armchair viewer who has no interest in getting up and out, exploring these things for themselves.

Where have I said anything about the age group? And I certainly dont think the programme is aimed at under 25s anyway...

My point is that the program is drawing a large audience. Which it does.

Where have I said anything about the age group? And I certainly dont think the programme is aimed at under 25s anyway...

My point is that the program is drawing a large audience. Which it does.

Sorry I didn't mean that you specifically said anything about the target audience age group. I just feel that the inference on the forum is that it appeals to a 'younger audience' (and ok perhaps under 25s is pushing it!! - I consider myself young at 45!)

I just get fed up with watching TV that has been dumbed down and presented by people who have no real knowledge of what they are talking about. The jokes seem very forced. Basically I suppose that I wish that Guy Martin would be enthusiastic, knowledgeable and not silly. He obviously knows all about engines, that should be what he is presenting a show about. Enthusiasm is fun and infectious. There is so much more scope here for a programme about canals and our industrial heritage.

The viewing figures don't seem that impressive, being the same as similarly timed The One Show (groan.....)

Sorry but we enjoyed it - and after the comments on here I was expecting it to be dire. I can't understand the snide remarks about his accent - what he speaks is where he come from innit (Estuary Essex me :D)

I'm with you.

After watching the first episode I came away thinking 'what a barmpot :wacko: ' this guy is blundering his way through the show and the canal, a bit like most of us did when we first got our hands on a narrowboat. I do think that the title of the show hasn't helped. But on the whole very entertaining.

Terence :)