The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Just seen a trailer for this series that starts on BBC1 on 2nd March, 7.30pm. To quote a web site:

"New series. Motorcycle racer Guy Martin renovates a neglected narrowboat using inventions of the Industrial Revolution, beginning with building a blast furnace to cast an iron pot to boil water. He then visits the Wedgwood factory to learn how to create traditional mugs so he can enjoy a cup of tea"

Tim

Just seen a trailer for this series that starts on BBC1 on 2nd March, 7.30pm. To quote a web site:

"New series. Motorcycle racer Guy Martin renovates a neglected narrowboat using inventions of the Industrial Revolution, beginning with building a blast furnace to cast an iron pot to boil water. He then visits the Wedgwood factory to learn how to create traditional mugs so he can enjoy a cup of tea"

Tim

Can't he buy those things - a pot and a cup - in a shop? Presumably when he works the "blast furnace", his rose tinted specs will meet health and safety regulations.

Sorry, I've just visited NBW. Hopefully my cynicism will be unfounded and this will be enjoyable.

Ian

Edited to be more positive!

Edited by PiRSqwared

You can get Guy Martin mugs,they hold a pint of tea.He drinks a lot of tea,just befor and after a race you will see him with a mug of tea.Su and I are betting on how many he has in the program, so think its only right that the first thing he does is make a kettle and a cup.

:smiley_offtopic: Its about time he won a TT, with Relentless Suzuki this year will give him a good chance.Will be there to see him do it.

Heard somewhere that he has static engines(?)

You should see him ride a bike around the TT course, at an average speed of over 127mph for 37.75 miles on normal roads - truly awsome. What a 'Guy'

You should see me and Mags on our ST1300 Pan European. Mad sunday last year lapping at 46 mph. Two up, top box panniers and camping gear. What a team!

You should see me and Mags on our ST1300 Pan European. Mad sunday last year lapping at 46 mph. Two up, top box panniers and camping gear. What a team!

That's akin to me taking my 1.6.Astra around the Nuremberg ring.....

(only joking)

Always liked the Pan European - nice bike....

2005_honda_st1300_pan_european.jpg

It's always worth giving these programmes a try .. I've also heard the 'new Fred Dibnah' tag - from a production assistant on the programme. Trouble is, typically BBC, the content sounds like a rehash of lots of well-worn TV subjects (pottery, iron and steel-making, etc, etc).

Give it a try, eh? The evnings are getting lighter by then. Stuff the telly. .. unless it's really unmissable.

You can get Guy Martin mugs,they hold a pint of tea.He drinks a lot of tea,just befor and after a race you will see him with a mug of tea.Su and I are betting on how many he has in the program, so think its only right that the first thing he does is make a kettle and a cup.

:smiley_offtopic: Its about time he won a TT, with Relentless Suzuki this year will give him a good chance.Will be there to see him do it.

Heard somewhere that he has static engines(?)

Are you really paying £300 for an 8 hour boat trip? Not me - the Steam Packet have killed it.

Alex

Yeah ..bloody Steam Packet..!!! I just got the bill for the 4 of us....serious cash.

Went on my old Z last year.

pre-tt10.JPG

Going on the Direblade this year...half way through fixing it up a bit. Well I say a bit, what I mean is its costing a fortune and being practically fully restored.

Fireblade.JPG

Are you really paying £300 for an 8 hour boat trip? Not me - the Steam Packet have killed it.

I remember Joey Dunlop taking his bikes over one year on a trawler to save money. It is an expensive trip and the island prices are generally boosted over the TT and Manx weeks as well. The problem is that you have to book about a year in advance. With that sort of demand - everyone pushes the price. The spectacle however makes it all worthwhile.

Dident Joey's fishing boat sink? The Steam Racket Co are charging £210 each this year (1 person 1 bike retern) but will be expecting a 'Libyan' fuel sercharge. Last time we were there I got a speeding ticket,45 in a 30, only £275 and it has to be payed befor you leave, lucky they take visa.

That's akin to me taking my 1.6.Astra around the Nuremberg ring.....

Ah! the famous Nuremberg ring...

Its hilarious the number of people who when they leave the ferry type "Nuremberg" as a destination and only realise once they get to the spiritual home of the 3rd Reich that they have overshot the spiritual home of motor racing by about 400 miles.

A whole circus convoy did this very thing last summer. Rumour has it the clown was driving.

They got the Nurburg (or Nuerburg) ring 5 days late and had to cancel several shows.