The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Someone has built the huge shopping centre just further along , i have moored there overnight ,left the boat empty there during the day and do you know what happened , nothing at all , no trouble whatsoever.

Roll on the next episode of show anyway.

This must have been your boat on that occasion then! :P

98wp36.jpg

Incidentally, during the course of my business life in the Security Shutter game, potential customers would contact me without prior canvassing for their trade. This, would you believe, was born from the fact that their premises had probably been under siege previously, by paragons of peace and virtue, that you imagine are in abundance in locations such as Barton Swing Bridge. Do you really think County Road in Liverpool resembles Beirut for aesthetic reasons?

Mike

Edited by Little Gold Nugget

Sure you could say the same about every city in the country.

As I stated on another thread as long as you take the same precautions as you would in any other part of the city on the canal you will have very few problems.

I've never said things don't happen just that it's not as bad anywhere not just on the canal as the daily what should we scare our readers with today mail would have people believe.

On and as a footnote when we went over the Barton aqueduct twice we had no problems at all and the first crossing was about 1pm on a Sunday

Hello Muddy,

Just to add to your point, we too have passed through this area numerous times previously without any problems. On the occasion in question, a cold and damp February afternoon, the place was initially deserted. These little angels appeared from nowhere, probably heading home after picking berries along the tow path for their mum's cake making activities :wacko:

Mike

Funny enough i was on county road yesterday , i was going to drop some some scally,s of at the football centre so they could smash a few windows and kick doors in at the local shops , i seen quite a few other youths who had disguised themselves by wearing football kits walking from the direction of spellow lane , quite effective as people thought they were not hoodies , just another scene that can be seen in any city shopping area.

As for the reasons so many shops have shutters the reasons can be many , glazing business slow ? a few bob in the right hands can always ensure business picks up as a whole row of homes or shops suffers a mystery attack for no fathomable reason , your pub takings down and the bar up the road doing well , another couple of bob to sort that , i know the game and i know its not just down to youths that an area can be blighted ,devils walk with angels in all city centre,s.

I do believe though that places such as Barton have far more parogons of peace and virtue than the imaginary hordes of hoodies and scally,s you percieve to be waiting to pounce on the unwary , good grief fella have you not even decided your previous marina hosts were scally,s.

Hello Muddy,

Just to add to your point, we too have passed through this area numerous times previously without any problems. On the occasion in question, a cold and damp February afternoon, the place was initially deserted. These little angels appeared from nowhere, probably heading home after picking berries along the tow path for their mum's cake making activities :wacko:

Mike

Absolute scum then , out on a canal on a cold and damp february afternoon , they are the most dangerous of all , after all who in there right mind will be out on the canals at that time in the damp conditions.

I would like to hear the tales these lads are telling the boys about some boater who was out cruising in the cold and damp , TELLING YOU LAD , THIS BOATER WAS SICK LAD , HE HAD TWO JUMPERS AND TWO COATS ON ,AND ,AND HE HAD IS HOOD UP.

It is not really that bad man , RELAX just a little. :rolleyes:

I thought the Boat that Guy Built was fun - scatty, daft and cheery, it made me smile. As an aside, if you want some industrial engineering heritage on the telly the it's worth giving the Mark Williams' progs a look-in (on Discovery/Shed channel today IRRC).

I enjoyed it, it made me smile. yes there were obvious black holes on the system that day which meant that he appeared to get to places to0 quickly but so what. Waterways and boats on prime time BBC1, my colleagues couldn't quite believe it but some watched and they enjoyed. One of the things I ask for in a host of a tv show like this is that they are enthusiastic about the subject (other less notable examples are Robson Green on that fishing thing and Johnny Vaughan on Mud Men). Guy was. I though he was great. I don't follow motor cycle racing so this was the first time I'd ever come across him and if this is his first show than my hat is off to him.

Good job boss.

If someone has experienced unpleasant, hostile behaviour somewhere, that is a fact. It doesn't matter how many other people have cruised through without incident - this does not somehow delete the incident which occurred. The "ooh well I've been though without any trouble!" comments seem like an act of denial to me. So you didn't have any trouble? Well good for you, but it doesn't change the fact that trouble sometimes occurs. Fine if you're upset about third paty rumour-mongering, but don't tell people that have been on the receiving end that what they experienced didn't happen. Accusing people of lying (and about something that happened when they were there and you were not) is not in any way constructive.

• Greenie 1

Funny enough i was on county road yesterday , i was going to drop some some scally,s of at the football centre so they could smash a few windows and kick doors in at the local shops , i seen quite a few other youths who had disguised themselves by wearing football kits walking from the direction of spellow lane , quite effective as people thought they were not hoodies , just another scene that can be seen in any city shopping area.

As for the reasons so many shops have shutters the reasons can be many , glazing business slow ? a few bob in the right hands can always ensure business picks up as a whole row of homes or shops suffers a mystery attack for no fathomable reason , your pub takings down and the bar up the road doing well , another couple of bob to sort that , i know the game and i know its not just down to youths that an area can be blighted ,devils walk with angels in all city centre,s.

I do believe though that places such as Barton have far more parogons of peace and virtue than the imaginary hordes of hoodies and scally,s you percieve to be waiting to pounce on the unwary , good grief fella have you not even decided your previous marina hosts were scally,s.

Well Gaggle,

there's obviously nothing more I need to add in order to illustrate my point, this post of yours does it all for me! :banghead:

Bye eck Gaggle, "You are the weakest link, Goodbye!" :wacko:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

I watched it tonight, I really dont see how anyone could have a problem with it unless they just dont like enthusiasm for British industrial history, hardly a topic to make people upset. I am always pleased to see canals on the tele hopefully it will encourage people to visit them. They are not a private members club.

• Greenie 2

Yes, I watched it tonight & quite enjoyed it. I think that it will get better as it goes on.

The 'kettle' was a bit of a disaster & had to be finished off with modern equipment, but hey ho.

He's sorting out his bog next time -- don't think it will be a cassette!

Will he be calling at Armitage Shanks on the T&M?.

Tony

Have just spoken with my son in Sheffield who knows Guy Martin thro the trade and racing. Lots of motorcycle enthusiasts watched the

prog. simply because it was Guy Martin. They all thought it was great. Very funny and Guy at his best. Some even thought the canals

looked great and would like to give it a try. The series has already had good write-ups in most of the motor cycle mags who suggest

it's well worth a look. Can't be bad, we need all the friends we can get due to the cutbacks.

Does the boating fraternity have anyone (apart from David Suchet) who could get thousands of enthusiasts to watch a programn just

because it was him regardless of content.

Maybe we do need to open our minds.

• Greenie 1

Have just spoken with my son in Sheffield who knows Guy Martin thro the trade and racing. Lots of motorcycle enthusiasts watched the

prog. simply because it was Guy Martin. They all thought it was great. Very funny and Guy at his best. Some even thought the canals

looked great and would like to give it a try. The series has already had good write-ups in most of the motor cycle mags who suggest

it's well worth a look. Can't be bad, we need all the friends we can get due to the cutbacks.

Does the boating fraternity have anyone (apart from David Suchet) who could get thousands of enthusiasts to watch a programn just

because it was him regardless of content.

Maybe we do need to open our minds.

I'd love to see a motorbike show hosted by David Suchet "The Bike Wot Suchet Built" and see what the motor cycle mags/forums had to say about that.

:)

I'd love to see a motorbike show hosted by David Suchet "The Bike Wot Suchet Built" and see what the motor cycle mags/forums had to say about that.

:)

Probably the same as has been said on this forum, but what a marvellous idea.

I'm sure David Suchet is well known to motor cyclists the world over as 'The Belgian Detective' but

possibly not as a narrowboat enthusiast.

Poirot using his 'little grey cells' to build a motor cycle. Can you imagine his walk after lapping

the I.O.M. TT course at 180mph

I'd watch it. ( The programme that is - not his walk)

:cheers:

John H.

Edited by sumajan