The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I find it fascinating to see how the bromance with Mave is going.

For a moment it got interesting when they were on the new bed together, in what they call their 'boudoir', but my advice to Guy is, if you want to get closer to Mave you'll have to wash your hands..... chief.

Tone

We've watched everyone and enjoyed it for what it is.

There are a few videos on Youtube and he is exactly like that on those. I know a couple of bikers and they say he is just a normal bloke who works for a living and races bikes at weekends. To me thats part of the appeal theres no "look at me" about him. Theres a belting Vid on youtube when Valantino Rossi and Guy are doing a press conference when the interviewer asks if Rossi understood a word of what Martin had just said its brilliant!

Added to the fact he had a massive smash at the TT last year that could well have killed him. He's right up there in my eyes.

It follows the One show !!.

It dosnt claim any expertise in any thing other than light hearted entertainment.. and like many programs it appeals to certain sectors more than others,

They are merely using a canal boat as a link to a number of "chosen" suppliers/venues to appear to support him,

discussion on dosh are of course absent!

Whilst I would agree its not "perfect", what is, they chaps are humerous and doing an average owner fit out ..excepting a few odd items (steam powered shower etc)

Its certainly raising the profile of canals to the public and there is no harm in that...

Even all those who say it's rubbish still seem to go back and watch every episode, despite it being "rubbish".

Of course they do , but they will not admit it , they will however make an effort to deny they watch it.

WHY?

What I enjoy most is they are bringing a sense of fun on the waterways into public view.

Makes a nice change from some of the elitist narcissistic attitudes you sometimes find amongst boaters who know best..... including me, probably.

Tone

Availability of reasonably priced audio/visual recording equipement. Ticked.

Youtube as method of reaching a wide diverse audience. Ticked.

Access to a wealth of experience and skills on forum. Ticked.

I eagerly await news of broadcast dates.

Availability of reasonably priced audio/visual recording equipement. Ticked.

Youtube as method of reaching a wide diverse audience. Ticked.

Access to a wealth of experience and skills on forum. Ticked.

I eagerly await news of broadcast dates.

Beg pardon??

It doesnt claim any expertise in any thing other than light hearted entertainment.. and like many programs it appeals to certain sectors more than others,

They are merely using a canal boat as a link to a number of "chosen" suppliers/venues to appear to support him,

discussion on dosh are of course absent!

Whilst I would agree its not "perfect", what is, they chaps are humerous and doing an average owner fit out ..excepting a few odd items (steam powered shower etc)

Its certainly raising the profile of canals to the public and there is no harm in that...

Well summed up! It is just 'light hearted entertainment'.

However does anyone else feel that this programme has used up the possibility of a more canal focussed series on mainsteam tv in the future?

In response to Tiny's posting -

That will largely depend on how successful this current series is - weighing up things like viewing figures etc.,

You can't help thinking that its a one trick pony - once he's kitted Reckless out what is there to do? Another one?

And as the series is explaining, whilst we can be proud of our industrial heritage, very few of the places he has/is visiting are no longer viable businesses.

Unless there's a sudden demand for narrowboats to be kitted out with Crapper porcelainn toilets, steam shower units and large bells for alarms....

Edited by Tillerman

In response to Tiny's posting -

That will largely depend on how successful this current series is - weighing up things like viewing figures etc.,

You can't help thinking that its a one trick pony - once he's kitted Reckless out what is there to do? Another one?

And as the series is explaining, whilst we can be proud of our industrial heritage, very few of the places he has/is visiting are no longer viable businesses.

Unless there's a sudden demand for narrowboats to be kitted out with Crapper porcelainn toilets, steam shower units and large bells for alarms....

Well there is still Hypnos, the countries best mattress maker.... As someone who has a Hypnos mattress I can vouch for the quality of sleep.... If you can stop yourself worrying over it's price!

If it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for me!

I watch it, mainly for the canal and industrial heritage pictures. The bromance? Yuk.

Northern accents - lovely. But the commentator ought to go back to cbeebies. When she squeals "Success!" I squirm.

But why does it have to be so cheap and shabby? I reckon the total production budget must be about £49.99.

This show like many others is using up finite material at a tremendous rate. Why can't they slow down and cover things in more depth? I'd love a high quality production of exactly the same ground.

I don't understand current television. Programs like this use up material at a great rate, and others, for example Time Team, spin out a single axe head for hours.

Not that impressive? 46th placing out of 180 seems quite impressive to me.

4.9m is a stunning figure for that slot, regardless of what precedes it.

Tony

Can't help wondering if there will be a follow up series and what it will be about.

It's quite possibe. If it happens, the format is as yet undecided, but it would broadly follow a similar theme.

Tony

Why can't they slow down and cover things in more depth?

This show is intruducing Guy. If the public warms to him, then a follow-up series could well be slower paced.

4.9m is a stunning figure for that slot, regardless of what precedes it.

Tony

It's quite possibe. If it happens, the format is as yet undecided, but it would broadly follow a similar theme.

Tony

This show is intruducing Guy. If the public warms to him, then a follow-up series could well be slower paced.

You seem to know a lot about this - are you involved in the production in some way??

Not many people on here would know about "slot averages" when talking about BARB figures for instance...

Ha, I see you are, Tony, an AVID viewer.. (cough) :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty clear that they already have. Despite what some of the misery guts on here think.

I think it's pretty clear that they already have. Despite what some of the misery guts on here think.

Must say the folks I work with (non-boaters) mostly like the programme. I have no real gripe with it except for the boat bumping the other week. We seem to have got past that bullshit. I thought this weeks offering moved up a gear.

Must say the folks I work with (non-boaters) mostly like the programme. I have no real gripe with it except for the boat bumping the other week. We seem to have got past that bullshit. I thought this weeks offering moved up a gear.

The bumping offended me too.

You're both right - the public have voted with their remotes and appear to have given it an overwhelming thumbs-up.

Tony

:smiley_offtopic: Lets be honest the programe is rubbish, a better one would be how the canals were looked after 200 years ago and boats were able to moor on the towpath side because there wern't any trees and long grass in the way unlike today.

So how is it they could keep it clear all those years ago with a shovel but it can't be done today with all the fancy machines that bw have.

Maybe we need to start the industrial revolution again.