The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

:smiley_offtopic: Lets be honest the programe is rubbish,

Not as much rubbish as issued from someone who cannot be bothered to read back in the thread and discover that what little they are saying has already been said and answered several times before.

Maybe the most un-original post, of the year?

(Not to mention worst spelling)

Tone

It's a positive vote, for a post (the green button in the corner).

thankyou for that, you learn something everyday.

I enjoy the programme it's good to see someone with so much enthusiasm and he rides a bike, good luck Guy

Guzziman

• Greenie 1

Don't worry folks. I have heard through the grapevine that there will be two more series to follow: :captain::help:

Series 2 will be titled *The BSC that Guy nearly got*

Series 3 will be titled *The Boat that Guy never quite finished building*

It is fascinating to see how the projects completed each week are not to be seen the following week. What happened to the steam powered shower pump? I am expecting that the alarm clock bell would have been returned to a canalside church bell tower before next Wednesday.

The final programme of series 3 should be the most authentic: Guy finally manages to steer a straight course to the pump-out with some of the red oxide and zinc phosphate primer applied in series 2 still intact.

• Greenie 2

Don't worry folks. I have heard through the grapevine that there will be two more series to follow: :captain::help:

Series 2 will be titled *The BSC that Guy nearly got*

Series 3 will be titled *The Boat that Guy never quite finished building*

It is fascinating to see how the projects completed each week are not to be seen the following week. What happened to the steam powered shower pump? I am expecting that the alarm clock bell would have been returned to a canalside church bell tower before next Wednesday.

The final programme of series 3 should be the most authentic: Guy finally manages to steer a straight course to the pump-out with some of the red oxide and zinc phosphate primer applied in series 2 still intact.

Maybe the Beeb should commission a series on High Horses... and those who mount them.

Tone

• Greenie 1

I have a feeling this series may increase the stock of silly questions :D

Its quite likely to increase the public's awareness of the waterways in general, and possibly the value of your boat indirectly.

I have found lately that people when they learn you have/live on a boat immediately mention TBTGB.

In terms of size and breadth of audience, this has got to be the best PR exercise to have ever benefitted the inland waterways!

• Greenie 1

You seem to know a lot about this - are you involved in the production in some way??

Not many people on here would know about "slot averages" when talking about BARB figures for instance...

Ha, I see you are, Tony, an AVID viewer.. (cough) :rolleyes:

I wish Tony had edited out the baked bean cooking sequence... ah hem http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/downloads/NR0109portablegasstovessafetyalertBSSWebversionAPR09FINAL.pdf and then there was that big fat lazy yellow flame licking round the edge of the 'pressure vessel', sorry bean tin ... ah hem bullet point #3, centre column How to Stay Safe section, on Page 1

But perhaps that would have destroyed the whole point of prog 4, so maybe a little more effort in the pre-production would have been good.

I did see the shed explosion in prog 1, but all that good work was left in the wash of the dual risks of fire/explosion and CO from the portable stove which are not generally intended for use in closed-in environments.

The boat that Guy nearly set on fire again! (ref the GrannyButtons link mentined previously)

That aside, as a fellow yellow belly, I'm enjoying the banter in the native tongue of my youth.

Rob

After a life time of watching people on TV cook something and then try to convey the agreeable taste of the product on camera, I am thankfull to have seen tonight for the first time, somebody go:

"oh thats rank, its disgusting, I am no going to finish that."

That alone was brilliant!

More seriously I expect the litteralists who are annoyed at the fact that Guy did not really build the boat will be up in arms at the latest episode's lack of boat action!

Can't wait for next week when they miss the south portal of Harecastle tunnel by half a boat width.

Tone

That was appalling steering. I have never seen anyone make such a mess of it before. I can only assume it was done deliberately so that more people will watch the episode next week. I wonder how many attempts they had before the final take? ..... e.g *let's do that again you didn't hit the fan house portal hard enough ...... sh*t hitting the fan?

I am hoping that Guy and his pal forget to remove the exhaust and stove chimneys before entering the tunnel - but maybe that is what is planned for humorous viewing? .......... I suspect what will happen is that they will exit the Harecastle via the northern portal of either Dudley or Netherton tunnel.

Compulsive *reality TV* viewing for anyone who wants *non-reality* ? ............

• Greenie 1

Compulsive *reality TV* viewing for anyone who wants *non-reality* ? ............

I think that's what makes it so funny. You don't get to be a biking champ without meticulous preparation and absolute control. I think that is part of the joke.

Tone

Can't wait for next week when they miss the south portal of Harecastle tunnel by half a boat width.

Tone

Wonder if they have picture of the tunnel keepers face when they did that. As usual one wonders how much actual boat handling they do off camera.

My question from last night was where were they moored for the been sequence. From the bridge view of this bit with them moored with a BW craft on the offside they had been previously moored in the same pound on the towpath side facing the other way with the bollards by the bridge (on the towpath side) in front of them. Wherever it was (and I wonder if it was the T&M near Stenson where there is a road alongside) the towpath was not as biker friendly as other places. So - any ideas where it was?

I wish Tony had edited out the baked bean cooking sequence...

Unfortunately I'm right at the end of the chain, and whilst I was able to correct/have corrected a couple of real howlers that had crept through (no, I'm not going to say what), other observations such as "That cooker should never be on a boat", "You don't light a fire on a narrowboat roof!" and "I don't think it's funny to laugh about hitting other boats, I think it's offensive" were overruled.

My responsibilty lies with making it look as beautiful as I can, ensuring it's technically correct, and supplying it to The Beeb. I have little if any influence on content.

Tony

Unfortunately I'm right at the end of the chain, and whilst I was able to correct/have corrected a couple of real howlers that had crept through (no, I'm not going to say what), other observations such as "That cooker should never be on a boat", "You don't light a fire on a narrowboat roof!" and "I don't think it's funny to laugh about hitting other boats, I think it's offensive" were overruled.

My responsibilty lies with making it look as beautiful as I can, ensuring it's technically correct, and supplying it to The Beeb. I have little if any influence on content.

Tony

Did you do the online then Tony or were you in offline?

Offline editors do have some say in the way content is manipulated, especially concerning matters of factual accuracy.