The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

i thought is was a bit of fun and as far as im concerned as long as there is something on telly to do with the canals im happy :P

Pretty much agree, except I wasn't impressed with collisions with boats belonging to others.

Did we actually see a harmful collision with another boat? If so I blinked and missed it.

We did see a couple of clumsy mooring attempts, but no worse than any first time hirer.

I love the prog because it isn't projecting the 'Oh what a wonderful idyllic life boating is' image like Water World does.

It is stating that if you want to go boating you need to have a sense of humour and be adaptable, and that is truth.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

Did we actually see a harmful collision with another boat? If so I blinked and missed it.

We did see a couple of clumsy mooring attempts, but no worse than any first time hirer.

I love the prog because it isn't projecting the 'Oh what a wonderful idyllic life boating is' image like Water World does.

It is stating that if you want to go boating you need to have a sense of humour and be adaptable, and that is truth.

Tone

Yes they gave a Dawncraft quite a hiding. I was not impressed.

Other than that, it was OK for me.

Edited by Guest

Did we actually see a harmful collision with another boat? If so I blinked and missed it.

Tone

Trouble is as experienced boaters we know that's not really acceptable but it could be seen as normal by newcomers and hirers.

enjoyed it!

enough said.

Ave a brew :cheers:

I missed the first episode, so I watched the one tonight deliberately trying to ignore the fact that they were on a narrowboat, and that the location continuity was not all it might be. But most of it was still rubbish, It was like watching two silly giggling schoolboys most of the time, and the only informative bit was the Industrial Archaeologist who demostrated how to make soap.

I was not impressed how they managed to hit several other boats and found it funny, but the most uforgivable bit was that they had a golden opportunity to explaion in simple terms how a steam engine worked, but instead wasted time moaning about grafitti.

I will not be bothering to watch any more episodes.

You are obvoiusly a very experienced boater. Have you ever given a thought for those first timers - once upon a time you were one of those. Are you sayin you NEVER clunked another boat :glare::banghead:

I thought it was fun and mildly informative. It's not exactly Panorama or Blue Planet but hey, the standard of Victorian porcelain was outstanding!

Guy is a funny and engaging character.

I've got an idea for a program that will make this forum explode - "The boat that the Top Gear team built" :)

OMG :captain:

WE didnt take it seriously and enjoyed the overall amusement factor,

like many such characters there a few ruff corners, but they have a them that they losely stick too and it also include shots of boats on canals, which makes a nive change,

certainly better than any "soap" thats on..

I think a few on here need to take a leaf from your book - DON`T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY :lol:

You are obvoiusly a very experienced boater. Have you ever given a thought for those first timers - once upon a time you were one of those. Are you sayin you NEVER clunked another boat :glare::banghead:

DON`T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY :lol:

Yes of course I have, but please don't shout. However, I was taught to steer on a 72ft ex working boat by a former working Boatman, and he made it quite clear from the beginning that it was unacceptable to hit another boat. On the few ocassions that I have caused a collision, I have apologised profusely afterwards rather than treat the whole thing as a joke

Our boat has also been hit by other boats, usually because of carelessness, and have had things thrown off shelves as a consequence, one person I know was making a pot of tea when her boat was hit, causing the hot water to pour over her legs. She felt that it was appropriate to take the matter very seriously.

Edited by David Schweizer

Yes of course I have, but please don't shout. However, I was taught to steer on a 72ft ex working boat by a former working Boatman, and he made it quite clear from the beginning that it was unacceptable to hit another boat. On the few ocassions that I have caused a collision, I have apologised profusely afterwards rather than treat the whole thing as a joke

Our boat has also been hit by other boats, usually because of carelessness, and have had things thrown off shelves as a consequence, one person I know was making a pot of tea when her boat was hit, causing the hot water to pour over her legs. She felt that it was appropriate to take the matter very seriously.

I know exactly how you feel David, it`s not very funny either being hit or doing the hitting. But bear in mind they are on camera - and they have to be seen to be making `Good` tv :wacko:

are you sure though you have never had a right giggle , even now when you look and think back to how it all happened, I know I do, otherwise we would never go boating again. Just as long as you don`t do it on purpose and I don`t think people do - do they :blush:

Wrong word, I should have said newcomers may get the impression it's ok to hit other boats.

I wonder if you've just invented a boating game to be played on the Wides? Any boat rammed is out. Last boat standing gets free beer all night?

tit.gif

Tone

tony collins, on 10 March 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

They did! upstream and in tandem with the steam one as the model did not have the power to lift the water. Didn't you spot it?

It was hardly a secret when they showed the pump being fitted with the accompanying v/o:

The final task is to fit a larger pump; just in case the shower needs a boost.

I don't recall anyone saying it was a secret.

The program is hilarious if only in its continuity. However the certainly gave they impression that they thought it was funny crashing into other boats.

Edited by tony collins

Could be another human mechanism to cope ,why would people not have a laugh at boats crashing when its clear elsewhere on here that they expect to have a good laugh if someone gets cut to bits.

Really?

Snapshot2011-03-1118-01-17.jpg

Yes, really.

1 minute and 50 in on I player if you can be arsed. Can't get my steam driven computer to pause it in the right spot, but they give an elderly DC centre cockpit a knock with the back end. Not good for such a craft. As responsible steel boat owners, we know that great care is required amongst more fragile boats.

Edit: got the bugger:

dc.jpg

Edited by Guest

I suppose when you're used to doing 180mph (or whatever) round the Isle of Man ("No man is an island, so is Man".... Mike Stevens) then a collision at about 1mph would seem of no consequence.

Was any damage done?

Re the bridge 'hopping' that Guy did, it seemed he thought about doing it on the railway bridge too, but changed his mind (if it was a railway bridge. Where was that anyway?)

Tone

I suppose when you're used to doing 180mph (or whatever) round the Isle of Man ("No man is an island, so is Man".... Mike Stevens) then a collision at about 1mph would seem of no consequence.

Was any damage done?

Re the bridge 'hopping' that Guy did, it seemed he thought about doing it on the railway bridge too, but changed his mind (if it was a railway bridge. Where was that anyway?)

Tone

We don't know if any damage was done, but is that the point? I would be pissed off if that was my DC, not so much by the collision, but the lack of any concern. Contact is inevitable sometimes with boats in tight spaces, especially when windy, but it aint funny in my book.

Well, he makes me feel better about my ability to handle a boat.

Anyway, I think it is ace for a couple of very good reasons.

First, the whole 'Celebrating British Inventions' telly format has been done to death. Adam Hart-Davis is the best, and even he needed a 'hook' - his bicycle. Any new idea is going to involve the bottom of the barrel (that shower steam pump was a silly idea!) but a canal boat at least has the advantage of contemporaneity.

Second, two blokes having what my teenage daughter calls a "Bromance" while building things makes very entertaining telly.

Well, he makes me feel better about my ability to handle a boat.

Anyway, I think it is ace for a couple of very good reasons.

First, the whole 'Celebrating British Inventions' telly format has been done to death. Adam Hart-Davis is the best, and even he needed a 'hook' - his bicycle. Any new idea is going to involve the bottom of the barrel (that shower steam pump was a silly idea!) but a canal boat at least has the advantage of contemporaneity.

Second, two blokes having what my teenage daughter calls a "Bromance" while building things makes very entertaining telly.

But Adam's program was not called "Adam builds a bike" was it