The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

But before he became well known, ("The Fast Show", Arthur Weasley in Harry Potter, might help some place him ?), I believe he cut his teeth with the Mikron Theatre Company aboard their travelling narrow boat.

1983 Kate Duchene, Sarah Parks, Mark Williams.

1984 Sue Dyde, Caron Pascoe, Mark Williams.

1985 Jane Griffith, Loulse Waddington, Mark Williams.

He played a character based on me (from my WRG days) in one of the productions!

1983 Kate Duchene, Sarah Parks, Mark Williams.

1984 Sue Dyde, Caron Pascoe, Mark Williams.

1985 Jane Griffith, Loulse Waddington, Mark Williams.

He played a character based on me (from my WRG days) in one of the productions!

I was trying to remember what year I saw him in the first Mikron show put on for WACT at The Limeburners Arms all the way down here in the Sarf.

From your cast line up I recognise two of the girls names so it must have been 1985! Thanks for that!

As for last nights offering I suppose I'm sitting on the fence. I found it entertaining in parts and annoying in others for all the reasons given above. Having been involved in a similar prog (in a very small way) I must admit I was expecting much of it to have been got at by directors/editors looking for what they believe to be "good TV" rather than too many correct facts.

I'll probably watch the rest of them though!

Richard

The amount of bickering and indignated self righteousness on this thread says a lot more about the canalworld forums than it does about the TV.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

-The show does not claim to be about boats, if anything the idea is light entertainement using the boat as a prop to approach different topics of the industrial revolution.

-the show does not aim to be geographically accurate, or it would make for very boring television

-Guy Martin speaks the way he does, get over it.

Canalworld reminds me of a retirement home sometimes, all bickering and pointless indignation.

My main criticism of the show would have been about the patronising voiceover. But I could live with it.

:cheers:

Pretty crap choice of title in that case.

Watched it, but in Wales we had to retune to Englandshire from a programme about Rolf Harris painting in someone elses style.

There may be moans from the canal afficianados on here about it, but this was a programme aimed at the general public who have little or no knowledge of the canal system. Yes, the filming geographically was all over the place, but to most it was photogenic, and that's what counts, and some of the continuity was awry, but only we would know that.

Did it "teach" Joe Public anything? Probably yes; it isn't easy making cast iron and yes we do still make bloody good pottery in the UK.

Will it make people visit the places he went? Possibly, but why didn't they say in was the Black Country Museum?

Will I watch it again? Probably.

Is he the next Fred? Never, but then is he trying to be? I don't think so.

Is it OK to mislead and misinform the general public, then?

Edited by Chertsey

Just watched a bit at work, made me smile.

Does anyone know of any better programmes with canal boats on TV?

Perhaps CWDF members could make a better programme.

I like Mike Askin's video's on YouTube

RECKLESS Built by HARBOROUGH MAR/BTS - Length 18.3 metres (60 feet ) - Beam 1.84 metres (6 feet ) Metal hull, power of 999. Registered with British Waterways number 54998 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008 :P

I wonder if they will show the bit when he misjudged the step from the boat to the bank, fell flat on his face and needed surgery to sort the mess out! (As reported in "Performance Bike" by himself).

He head-butted (well, mouth-butted) the tiller.

And no, it's not in the series.

Tony

Pretty crap choice of title in that case.

Is it OK to mislead and misinform the general public, then?

If this is the basis of your argument, then fair play for still being at it...

:cheers:

People must get to grips to whom this program is aimed at --- mass prime time TV audience!

We all, on this forum, know that it contains numerous, geographic and timing faults.

But if we were to follow them on their journey in real time, as some on here would like,

we would barely make it off the Bridgewater by the end of the series.

Please take it as it was aimed, to introduce the general public to the Inland Waterways,

and to Britain's great Industrial Heritage.

If you don't like it don't watch it, I'm sure plenty will, and will enjoy it.

Chris

• Greenie 3

I was a bit underwhelmed by the programme. The continuity is hilariously haphazard. The blatant cheat in producing iron was a bit odd too, at least one of the mugs produced bore no resemblance to the factory produced item. It is details like this that let the production down. The two presenters are cheerful chappies not without screen appeal, I hope the show improves, but I suspect it is all in the can already and beyond redemption.

Rosie & Jim

or

Joshua Jones was out the same stable as Postman Pat and Fireman Sam. As if to prove the thesis that the public don't understand canals and kids like things they are used to they only made 12 episodes.

Apart from mooring bollards everywhere (which we knew then was a bit far fetched) the episodes were amazingly accurate. Josh's boat even has a working pressure guage.

But the only place JJ seemed to catch on was in Australia where they issued videos of the most episodes. (The Beeb only offered I believe 8 of the 12 on video.)

Maybe this lack of success gives a clue as to why the current series uses the boat and canal as a central but backround item while the crew visit places and learn things. The series doing this rather than following the boats travels and using it as the centre piece of the action.

This is how Rosie and Jim worked too and maybe why it was so popular.

I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

I like the bloke, met him a couple of times during the TT, only as a fan but what a rider proper "men from the boys" stuff.

He's a bit eccentric, what with the side burns and odd ways, but I like his charactor, he's smiley, completely genuine, he is fastidious about his bikes and like to build them himself even when riding for a works team. He loves this country, its history and its ways. Top chap, we watched it and my wife said "hey thats you!" :)

It was entertaining and makes a change from the 'come dine/masterchef/celebrity i can't cook/dancing on ice/come dancing/60 second slap paint about' rubbish that we usually get. If it makes a tenth of the UK viewing public think more about the canals and perhaps encourages them to go and walk a towpath or get involved then it can't be a bad thing. We are going to need all the support and understanding we can get over the next few years for the 'big society' of waterways or whatever they end up calling it.

• Greenie 3

Yeah I'm passionate about boats canals rivers heritage etc, and last nights programme was a bit of fun, I enjoyed it and will watch it again.

Guy if your reading this, I nearly fell off my stool this morning watching the IOMTT YouTube clip! Fantastic.

It was just a bit of light hearted entertainment, Both Jan and I enjoyed it too.

As for the 'cheating' on the Iron production I merely saw this as a consequence of the pathetic 'revelations' about 'cheating' on the likes of Top Gear, the producers were up front and honest.

Life on the cut contains very little real entertainment value for others - these guys just 'spiced' it up a bit. Lets just see it for it is.

People find it curious, nothing more hence the folk you get watching you at the locks, would they pay to watch you come through, I very much doubt it.

Canal world,not much cream but plenty of clots,shame on you for being such a bunch of miseries.As for the regionalist rant about Guys accent words fail me.[and Ive lost most of my accent now ,been away too long]

.What is it about the British that part of enjoying their hobbies is ripping shit out of everybody else.I,m off to uk hippy for a bit of light relief.You lot were not the target audience,get over it go watch something else.

It was just a bit of light hearted entertainment, Both Jan and I enjoyed it too.

As for the 'cheating' on the Iron production I merely saw this as a consequence of the pathetic 'revelations' about 'cheating' on the likes of Top Gear, the producers were up front and honest.

Life on the cut contains very little real entertainment value for others - these guys just 'spiced' it up a bit. Lets just see it for it is.

People find it curious, nothing more hence the folk you get watching you at the locks, would they pay to watch you come through, I very much doubt it.

people pay to watch boats at anderton , i know its the lift that may be the main atraction but joe public still spend time sitting and watching the boats.

People also spend money getting to and from locations such as the bingley locks just to watch the boats going up and down the locks , they may not be paying an entrance fee but it still has a cost to them.

As boaters we are part of the show.

As boaters we are part of the show.

mmm. what we do day to day is not though, it's pretty boring to the majority of others, relaxing yes, therapeutic, yes worthy of prime time TV No!!!

On against football on ITV I don't expect it will get a massive following,

Cheers,

Mike

On the contrary, it got 4.8m and the football did 3.4m. Love it or hate it, it was the most popular 8pm show last night.

By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! v By 'eck! By 'eck! v By 'eck! By 'eck! v v By 'eck! etc et cet c etc etc etc

By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! By 'eck! v By 'eck! By 'eck! v By 'eck! By 'eck! v v By 'eck! etc et cet c etc etc etc

I just looked at your avatar and think you need to give your right hand a rest..

As I stood at the tiller on Sunday, doing the 4.5 hour trip from Clayworth to West Stockwith in the rain, I was just thinking "Bugger me this would make a great 9 part TV series" It's just Telly everybody, with a much smaller budget than Emmereastenderstreet, which really is tiresome. And with a bit of editing anybody can be made to look like an idiot. That fella knows more about bike engines than anything else that's tue, but anybody with even the slightest knowledge would spot that the dodgy old Lister had it's cam buried deep within it, give the fella some credit!

Lee

Have had phone calls all day from members of the family from all over the U.K.. THEY LOVED IT.

They had forgotten the beautiful scenery and the laid-back and friendly attitude of boaters in general (their words).

The fact that he was all over the place geographically didn't enter into their enjoyment.

They can't wait to come with us again in the summer, so they are now arranging a rota amongst themselves.

THANKS GUY _ BLOODY THANKS.......

Watchthesen bonneylad ah divent want ya havin a tab on the bowat an dropping yur doddles on me proggy mat. Ya muther doesn't expect to find the mat as clarty as it was before it got to be as posh as it is now.

John H.

Edited by sumajan

On the contrary, it got 4.8m and the football did 3.4m. Love it or hate it, it was the most popular 8pm show last night.

4.9m at the peak. And it kept building throughout.

Tony