Narrowboat stove flue, coming out of sidewall.

Featured Posts

I think it is a terrible idea and would never consider or advocate this. 

As mentioned earlier it is slightly difficult to believe it exists but this does happen from time to time. 

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

That is a big Boat. It would be a bit odd on a narrow. 

Looks like a narrowboat to me. You can see straight through the window and out of the window opposite on the far side. 

Just now, MtB said:

Looks like a narrowboat to me. You can see straight through the window and out of the window opposite on the far side. 

No I meant on the other Boat I was commenting on. 

This one in the OP seems to be narrow. 

Maybe the stove was relocated and it was discovered that there is wiring above the roof lining?

Assuming no such problems it really won't be a huge job to sort this out. Those who have the skill to cut and weld steel make surprisingly light work of this sort of thing.

We do not know which stove is installed  but I bet that the manufacturers installation instructions do not permit a flue with two 90 degree elbows with an horizontal section between.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

We do not know which stove is installed  but I bet that the manufacturers installation instructions do not permit a flue with two 90 degree elbows with an horizontal section between.

To potentially fill with water when it rains

2 hours ago, IanD said:

That'll be fun when the stove is on and emitting smoke and the chimney is hot... 😉 

Especially if there's a p*sser in the lock wall which squirts water straight into the internal stovepipe through the resulting hole...

If you go to the electric boat show you may see it, there was a photo on FB in the electric boat page 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

it is also dangerous to have a right angle like that without a cleaning out hatch. 

If the outside chimney can be removed for locks etc., that will provide access for cleaning?

I agree it's a bad idea for the various reasons above.

I've seen something similar, but coming through the front bulkhead into the well deck at about a 45° angle and thus avoiding the clearance and draught problems of this version.

45° out of the side, with a double-skinned flue for safety, might work for a mostly static marina-bound boat as I suspect those the OP's seen were. It would still be totally impractical while cruising.

Edited by Francis Herne

24 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I'm sure I've seen this boat on a towpath mooring on the Oxford but if not there is another one about with a similar flue arrangement.

Was going to say, we've definitely seen one similar on the Oxford somewhere, but can't remember where, somewhere above Enslow at least as J didn't cruise with me from the Thames to Enslow when we bought the boat and she remembers it too.

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

J has pointed it out to me on Facey, it’s built by Thames Solar Electric Boats, so roof covered in solar and flue out the side seems to be their SOP.

https://thamessolarelectric.co.uk/

And their website states

No Fossil Fuels

No wonder they cannot install a flue. What else can't they install properly

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

J has pointed it out to me on Facey, it’s built by Thames Solar Electric Boats, so roof covered in solar and flue out the side seems to be their SOP.

https://thamessolarelectric.co.uk/

Ah yes, them. Claiming solar-only (no generator) is enough even in winter, which doesn't fit with anyone's real-life experience that I'm aware of. And then offering the same solution for narrowboats where the chances of this still being true are -- well, I'd say zero. And where does the energy for heating come from, especially in winter? If you read their FAQs the implication seems to be that boaters in winter won't move and will plug into a shoreline in a marina -- or burn fossil fuels, in spite of the fact they say "fossil-fuel free".

Don't get me wrong, a no-fossil-fuel widebeam (a *really* wide one...) with the roof completely covered in solar can get along just fine in summer, and in winter if plugged into shoreline (and you don't mind paying a fortune for electric heating). But that's not what their blurb suggests, *especially* the implication/suggestion that it works for solar-only narrowboats which might actually want to move around the canal system. And a stovepipe out of the cabin side certainly doesn't seem "fossil-fuel free" to me...

I suspect they've run the exact wording past lawyers, but to me their website seems to sailing pretty close to misleading at best, and deception at worst. And they're not the only culprit... 😞 

Edited by IanD

I’m sure they’ll have all the answers to everyone’s questions at Crick this year, but then again do boaters that pick up on the faults go or is it just people thinking about buying a boat that go these days and are quite clueless even after watching hours of Narrowboat Vloggers?

5CE911E5-0C82-4574-B5D9-635012B01CB5.jpeg.fe1848f14c716eadd078307d66dc0192.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

All life that has ever existed on earth is and was solar powered. 

I'm sure I read somewhere about a solar powered diesel heater. 

My fire is currently burning wood. It is impossible to argue that this wood was not created by the sun. 

On 13/03/2024 at 18:33, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I’m sure they’ll have all the answers to everyone’s questions at Crick this year, but then again do boaters that pick up on the faults go or is it just people thinking about buying a boat that go these days and are quite clueless even after watching hours of Narrowboat Vloggers?

5CE911E5-0C82-4574-B5D9-635012B01CB5.jpeg.fe1848f14c716eadd078307d66dc0192.jpeg

I think its a mix but probably aimed at folks in the market for a new build. Last year there was stand offering some sort of remote monitoring system for boats. It was quite good but expensive and basically a few off the shelf bits on a box. When I questioned the bod on the stand he said yeah were selling to people too stupid to do it themselves....  just saying...

On 13/03/2024 at 21:01, magnetman said:

My fire is currently burning wood. It is impossible to argue that this wood was not created by the sun. 

Likewise coal, diesel, petrol and any other form of carbon or hydrocarbon based fuel can also be seen as "stored solar energy".

The difference is course is that burning wood is carbon neutral as the tree will have absorbed the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide over its lifetime as that release during its combustion, whereas fossil fuels such as coal & oil will not have been able to do that in any functional timescale because the carbon dioxide was absorbed millions of years ago.

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Likewise coal, diesel, petrol and any other form of carbon or hydrocarbon based fuel can also be seen as "stored solar energy".

The difference is course is that burning wood is carbon neutral as the tree will have absorbed the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide over its lifetime as that release during its combustion, whereas fossil fuels such as coal & oil will not have been able to do that in any functional timescale because the carbon dioxide was absorbed millions of years ago.

Looks exactly the same to me, why is coal and oil any different? Diesel, petrol I am sure come from oil?

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Which implies the world would be a cleaner and lovelier place if we cut down all the trees and burnt them, rainforests and all. But I'm still unconvinced...

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Which implies the world would be a cleaner and lovelier place if we cut down all the trees and burnt them, rainforests and all. But I'm still unconvinced...

I'm sure you know full well it doesn't imply that at all... 😉 

Edited by IanD