Things that amaze me

Peugeot 106

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, MJG said:

Two 20p coins placed together one on top of the other can substitute for a £1 coin in order to release a supermarket trolley.

(I'm easily amazed).

No change there then. 😁

• Greenie 1

On 06/02/2024 at 10:30, Hudds Lad said:

Surely it depends upon the individual? Some folk will repair something if it breaks, others see it as an opportunity to bin and buy new.

The last Dyson we bought lasted about 18yrs. On it i've changed filters, drive belts, brush bar, and motor. Sadly now the chassis has cracked and is just not worth it to replace (about £60 second hand last time i looked).

I tried a more modern one and it was pants compared to our old one, so we bought a Shark instead.

I'll always try to repair if i can

Reminds me of W G Grace's cricket bat. It had had four new handles and three new blades.

2 hours ago, MJG said:

Two 20p coins placed together one on top of the other can substitute for a £1 coin in order to release a supermarket trolley.

(I'm easily amazed).

But once released, after use when you try to retrieve your coins, you find the release tag has dislodged the alignment and you can't get them out, or release the trolley, or any of the stack it is in. I carry a , pair of snipe nose pliers that rectifies this.

Edited by Ex Brummie

6 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

But once released, after use when you try to retrieve your coins, you find the release tag has dislodged the alignment and you can't get them out, or release the trolley, or any of the stack it is in. I carry a , pair of snipe nose pliers that rectifies this.

You're doing it wrong......

2 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Superglue them together - although it might be easier to just keep a pound in your pocket!

I normally don't bother because I use a trolley release key but they don't work in the ones with the coin holder that you put the coin in the top and slide it in. So a very nice lady in Home Bargains showed me the 20p coin trick.

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Jeez, the things people do to save no money at all!

Just return the trolley and get ya pound back. Why feck about fooling them with 20ps??!!!

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Just return the trolley and get ya pound back. Why feck about fooling them with 20ps??!!!

Why do you often show up late at night with stupid banal comments? 

My post about 2 x 20p replacing a pound coin in a supermarket trolley was a bit of a light hearted comment and how it 'amazed me' not meant to be taken seriously, just a bit of fun. As was the responses.

Clue, it didn't really amaze me it was just a bit of trivia.

You not realising this is very very telling.

I would like to say your lack of insight into the post 'amazed' me but frankly it didn't.

Edited by MJG

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Bloke I used to work with resented putting pound coins in the shopping trolleys so he spent a few lunchbreaks in the machine shop making his own pound coin shaped metal discs, I recall he even put a hole in to make sure they had the same weight as a pound coin.

I could never understand this.

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

Bloke I used to work with resented putting pound coins in the shopping trolleys so he spent a few lunchbreaks in the machine shop making his own pound coin shaped metal discs, I recall he even put a hole in to make sure they had the same weight as a pound coin.

Its a bit like boaters who spend nine months on the 48hr VMs here. Think that somehow they are shafting CRT.

In actual fact they are missing out on 8 months and 28 days of enjoyable boating! 

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Shopping trolleys or vending machines? ;)

Bloke I know used to work at BNFL, and apparently the nickel-brass bar stock was (eventually) very tightly controlled. 

Slicing it into pound coin sized lumps kept many an apprentice in snacks.

12 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Penny pinching. 😕

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Why is it that the supermarkets are now full of card-only self-service tills, but still insist you must have £1 coin (or 2 20ps) to use a trolley?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why is it that the supermarkets are now full of card-only self-service tills, but still insist you must have £1 coin (or 2 20ps) to use a trolley?

In our area it is because the trollies are left out overnight and they don't want to have to collect them from all over the place after the local youth have had their fun.

I am sure if there was a canal nearby many would end up there.

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Because they do not want to pay anyone to collect trolleys. The £1 ensures the customer takes the trolley to the storage points so they can get their £ back.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Its a bit like boaters who spend nine months on the 48hr VMs here. Think that somehow they are shafting CRT.

In actual fact they are missing out on 8 months and 28 days of enjoyable boating! 

The only ones they are shafting are other boaters who would like to use the space they are taking up.

• Greenie 1

When I was in a lad and Vickers at Barrow was in its hey day they reckoned that if Vickers took back everything belonging to Vickers there wouldn’t be a boat left floating in Walney Channel. And some had pretty exotic metal prop shafts.

One of the local Bars had a notice saying. “Please don’t ask for a sub. Try Vickers”

Goodness knows what other foreigners were made there

32 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In our area it is because the trollies are left out overnight and they don't want to have to collect them from all over the place after the local youth have had their fun.

31 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Because they do not want to pay anyone to collect trolleys. The £1 ensures the customer takes the trolley to the storage points so they can get their £ back.

Yes I know that. But since the pandemic many of us have become used to paying by card for everything and not carrying cash. Our local Asda did away with the coins during covid. On my first visit to the store after they reinstated them I had no cash whatsoever. When I asked the man at the door how I could do my shopping he had no answer. Result was that Sainsburys (who don't require £1) got my business. It just seems illogical for the stores to insist you must have cash to use a trolley while at the same time strongly discouraging it's use once you are inside the store.

55 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Same reason as always. To try and ensure that you return the trolley and lock it back up.

44 minutes ago, Jerra said:

We don't have canals but we do have a small beck near our local supermarkets and that is where the wayward trolleys end up. Dumped by scrotes after they have had fun.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes I know that. But since the pandemic many of us have become used to paying by card for everything and not carrying cash. Our local Asda did away with the coins during covid. On my first visit to the store after they reinstated them I had no cash whatsoever. When I asked the man at the door how I could do my shopping he had no answer. Result was that Sainsburys (who don't require £1) got my business. It just seems illogical for the stores to insist you must have cash to use a trolley while at the same time strongly discouraging it's use once you are inside the store.

Perhaps Sainsbury's are prepared to take the loss?

I was once told by a store manager that each trolley costs around £200 to £300 depending on size.

After using trolleys at canalside supermarkets I throw the pound coin in the canal just to be a rebel. 

For the coin holder a tamper resist torx key or a nylon washer the right dimensions can work. 

I once got the Tesco ones open with a nylon ring the right size with a 1/2 inch piece cut out. It would bend, slot in then open up and unlock. Pull it out afterwards. Worked ok. don't use trolleys these days so no need. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

When I was in a lad and Vickers at Barrow was in its hey day they reckoned that if Vickers took back everything belonging to Vickers there wouldn’t be a boat left floating in Walney Channel. And some had pretty exotic metal prop shafts.

One of the local Bars had a notice saying. “Please don’t ask for a sub. Try Vickers”

Goodness knows what other foreigners were made there

Dad worked at Vaxhalls for more than 20yrs, he claimed that when a member of staff ordered a car (staff discount) it would always be the most basic model but it would be fitted with all the bells and whistles whilst on the line, including having various bits and pieces hidden behind the door cards and so on

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Sainsbury's is the store I mentioned where you do require a coin here.   Do they have inside storage for the trollies or is your area just very law abiding?

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shopping trolleys or vending machines? ;)

Bloke I know used to work at BNFL, and apparently the nickel-brass bar stock was (eventually) very tightly controlled. 

Slicing it into pound coin sized lumps kept many an apprentice in snacks.

We had a group of apprentices machine a batch of pound coins, they then used them in the fruit machine in the company canteen and we're almost sacked for fraud.