Things that amaze me

Peugeot 106

Featured Posts

Miele and Sebo make great vacuum cleaners. We have, amonst other things a George and a Henry, a dyson and a Sebo. I would say the dyson is the least well built of the lot.

The thing that amazes me the most is why we think we need 5 vacuum cleaner.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I have several and none has lost any suction. 

Swap a blocked filter to restore 100% suction, every time.

How do you restore suction which has not been lost?

I had one I found in a bin at Woolhampton in 2001 it was alright but lost suction gradually needing the filter cleaning. I also partly taped the PRV to turbocharge it. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Miele and Sebo make great vacuum cleaners. We have, amonst other things a George and a Henry, a dyson and a Sebo. I would say the dyson is the least well built of the lot.

The thing that amazes me the most is why we think we need 5 vacuum cleaner.

no vacs here. a crumb brush and sticky tape.

Edited by magnetman

Nilfisk was and probably still is Avery good product. When working for a major facilities company we worked closely with Nilfisk during their time redeveloping to become competitively priced for the commercial market.

Numatic Vacuums are excellent quality. And they work.

My Dyson gave us three vacuum cleaners to trial in about 2003 (ish). The majority of my 90+ cleaning staff tried them. Filled out a questionaire. To be honest the general consensus was ‘no thanks’. My Dyson is possibly very good at marketing. Good luck to him though. He has more money than I.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Dyson is possibly very good at marketing. Good luck to him though. He has more money than I.

Yes. A triumph of marketing over quality. 

He has a lovely motoryacht the ex steam yacht Nahlin. Classy.

4588.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

seems okay

packing landfill with plastics. coolio.

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

So are people who have used them for many years with no issues what so ever simply lying do you think?

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

He has a lovely motoryacht the ex steam yacht Nahlin. Classy.

4588.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

seems okay

packing landfill with plastics. coolio.

It’s probably got a Hyperdymium motor

I’ve used the same handheld Dyson for 15 years with one change of battery for cleaning up after laying the fire at home every night during winter. OK it’s only light duty but it does occasional work on the stairs or in my shed. It’s fine though I do keep the filter clean.  The only alternative I knew of when I bought it was the rubbish Black and Decker one.

Just back from a skip run. At least 5 new looking Dysons in the small appliance skip  and it’s only a quarter full!

I’m still clueless  what a “digital “ or “Hyperdymium” motor is though. Sounds like something from Cern. Does it have hydraulic tappets?

4 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I’m still clueless  what a “digital “ or “Hyperdymium” motor is though. Sounds like something from Cern. Does it have hydraulic tappets?

No, no tappets.

I think the motors are essentially stepper motors, where the rotor is a permanent magnet and the stator is a number of coils (think alternator stator). pairs or sets of coils are energised in turn to cause the rotor to turn. The electronics that do this are probably digital and if you looks at the current flow to the coils it would look a bit like a square wave - or on and off, 1 and 0 in digital terms.

The dyminium bit is probably derived from the rare earth magnets he uses.

Basically marketing bullshine to bamboozle the customers. However, the motor design probably allows it to rev far higher than a brushed motor before it explodes/flies apart.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I’m still clueless  what a “digital “ or “Hyperdymium” motor is though. Sounds like something from Cern. Does it have hydraulic tappets

Me to, I'd not herd the terms till mentioned here.

I just bought a vacuum that I just knew would work. If it's marketing hype it didn't make a mark on me.

Edited by MJG

The comments I have made are my own genuine findings and opinions.

if!, I don’t agree with anyone else’s findings of opinions it’s not really my fault nor responsibility.

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The comments I have made are my own genuine findings and opinions.

if!, I don’t agree with anyone else’s findings of opinions it’s not really my fault nor responsibility.

Don't think anybody said otherwise did they?

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, no tappets.

I think the motors are essentially stepper motors, where the rotor is a permanent magnet and the stator is a number of coils (think alternator stator). pairs or sets of coils are energised in turn to cause the rotor to turn. The electronics that do this are probably digital and if you looks at the current flow to the coils it would look a bit like a square wave - or on and off, 1 and 0 in digital terms.

The dyminium bit is probably derived from the rare earth magnets he uses.

Basically marketing bullshine to bamboozle the customers. However, the motor design probably allows it to rev far higher than a brushed motor before it explodes/flies apart.

A bit like when we used to sell a scratty piece of each carbon fibre tissue and Kevlar tissue to a major ski manufacturer. It can’t have made a jot of difference to the performance but their marketing bumf claimed ( correctly!) that the skis were manufactured including carbon and Kevlar. We sold the same stuff to tennis racket, golf club and fishing rod manufacturers. Anyway everybody was happy

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I’ve used the same handheld Dyson for 15 years with one change of battery for cleaning up after laying the fire at home every night during winter. OK it’s only light duty but it does occasional work on the stairs or in my shed. It’s fine though I do keep the filter clean.  The only alternative I knew of when I bought it was the rubbish Black and Decker one.

Just back from a skip run. At least 5 new looking Dysons in the small appliance skip  and it’s only a quarter full!

Brushless Motors. 

All good cordless power tools have them but they just call them what they are which is Brushless Motors. My Makita chainsaw proudly announces 'Brushless' on the casing. 

Nothing special about Brushless Motors its just electronically commutated and therefore does not have brushes and you can get more power from a smaller motor. 

They are impressive but by no means new or unusual. 

Calling it Hyperdymium is silly but it references Neodymium magnets which people still think are modern despite them being first produced about 40 yars ago. 

Give people a little bit of understanding and you can sell them anything. This Dyson man knows how to market products. 

The airblade drier is another one. I'll never go near one. Why would you put your hands between two surfaces everyone else has put their hands if you want to be clean? I'd rather have my own germs thanks. 

A hand drier should involve air moving downwards not sideways. 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Brushless Motors. 

All good cordless power tools have them but they just call them what they are which is Brushless Motors. My Makita chainsaw proudly announces 'Brushless' on the casing. 

Nothing special about Brushless Motors its just electronically commutated and therefore does not have brushes and you can get more power from a smaller motor. 

They are impressive but by no means new or unusual. 

Calling it Hyperdymium is silly but it references Neodymium magnets which people still think are modern despite them being first produced about 40 yars ago. 

Give people a little bit of understanding and you can sell them anything. This Dyson man knows how to market products. 

The airblade drier is another one. I'll never go near one. Why would you put your hands between two surfaces everyone else has put their hands if you want to be clean? I'd rather have my own germs thanks. 

A hand drier should involve air moving downwards not sideways. 

Now I’m showing my age. I had a boss who in his previous job sold neodymium magnets. I think they  went into car speedometers. That was at least 30 years ago

I used to sell Neodymium magnets for getting windlasses back out of the canal. My first post on this forum was about them. 18 yars ago. Since then they have got rather popular but back in the day nobody else was using them for this at all. 

I found the badge in my avatar with a magnet hence the water marks. 

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Bumblebees being fuzzy. Why, though? Why? Legs are for pollen and the body’s off for a party.

Bumblebee nests are made of velcro, so they can stick themselves to the walls when they want to sleep. 😀

• Haha 1