Is bicycle on the roof the only solution?

nealeST

Featured Posts

I’m prepared to sell my cars and just about all my possessions, rethink the style of clothing I favour and give up plenty of other things into the bargain in order to live afloat. One thing I’m struggling with is giving up cycling. I see liveaboards with bikes on the roof. Not keen on that idea. Bikes look to be treated like assorted junk😳. I want a trad stern so lashing a bike on the end of a cruiser stern isn’t going to happen. I’ve test ridden a Brompton and whilst initially taken - highly innovative and eccentric- but I think the wheels too small…especially for towpath use. I don’t like other versions of collapsible bikes. I love my heavy classic ‘Edwardian geometry’ bicycles-all steel and 28 inch wheels. How am I going to accommodate one of those…I have two but I can scale it to one….will I be forced to give up my lovely bike rides?

I have two bikes on board, but did the fit out on my boat and designed the kitchen area (reverse layout) to give storage space for them. Also got a home made trailer that can be dismantled to fit in the same space. You are right, bikes on the roof is a bad idea. The mechanical bits deteriorate rapidly and are at risk from theft and low bridges. I've had a Brompton on board too for mixed train/bike commuting. Surprisingly good for longer distances, but not for muddy towpaths. No idea if a more chunky treaded tyre is available that will fit the 16" wheels and frame gaps.

A cratch covered area at the bow of the boat can make a good, under cover, bike storage area. Set up a suitable strong point to lock the bike(s) too.

• Happy 1

Somewhere down the line you have to compromise - the best bike is the one you can take on board.

When I bought my first narrow boat there were deep scratches in the paint on the roof, probably being caused by a bike being dragged along when caught on a tree. Somewhere on the bed of the  Cam there is a folding bike that was dragged off the roof....

I see you have dismissed Brompton's, my experience with them was good, even on towpaths. Bear in mind you shouldn't be going fast on a towpath anyway, and that very few towpaths now are the muddy, eroded,  bramble strewn horrors of yore. I did most of the southern Oxford on a Brompton getting my car back after cruising. For me it was a Brompton or some very long walks. The Brompton can also be taken on buses, especially handy when the train you'd planned on turns out to be a bus....

I find the bikes absolutely essential to cruising. Otherwise the pub or shop a mile or two away is a big hike. It transforms boating to have a bit more local range. Vital if you want to get the better pub for instance. 

I have a folding brompton with an electric conversion, which is great wherever the towpath is relatively smooth or roads are adjacent. This is kept indoors, where the brompton small fold means it stows away in what was a washing machine space. It's 15 years old now and still a fine bike.

I also have a mountain bike with suspension etc, and that lives on a section of plastic web-mat on the roof quite happily. The secret is to have quick release front wheel, which means it can be slipped off and the bike stows flat, so doesn't catch on trees or bridges etc. A good chain and sturdy staple have been adequate security. 

I see a lot of junk bikes on boats - if you buy a rubbish bike then I guess that's what you have. I suspect a lot of boaters don't look after their kit. 

If you don't look after it with a bit of maintenance it will indeed revert to being junk. 

• Greenie 2

I had mine on the bow deck upright, held in by coal bags and tied to the T stud.

I think I've seen a halford bike carrier on the stern.

Folding bikes are not great to cycle.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, nealeST said:

I love my heavy classic ‘Edwardian geometry’ bicycles-all steel and 28 inch wheels. How am I going to accommodate one of those…I have two but I can scale it to one….will I be forced to give up my lovely bike rides?

Easy. Get a tug-style NB then erect a bicycle rack on the tug deck for an many bikes as you want.

This is reason number 53 why tug style NBs are AWESOME! 

Here's a good example of a tug style, ready and awaiting its bike rack.

082i.jpg

• Greenie 1

We had a couple of folding bikes, made a couple of little swing out brackets to mount them at the stern, very practical but soon tired of mending punctures from towpath thorn bushes not to mention the few seconds of agony in my crutch when I dismounted, 

"Persevere it will wear off" I was repeatedly told but it never did. 

I kept a bike on the top of my boat for two years,

it was taken off twice in that time,

first time by myself to simply oil and clean it,

second and last time by whoever stole it,

can’t say I miss it, there’s a solar panel in it’s place which is far more useful,

2 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I kept a bike on the top of my boat for two years,

it was taken off twice in that time,

first time by myself to simply oil and clean it,

second and last time by whoever stole it,

can’t say I miss it, there’s a solar panel in it’s place which is far more useful,

+ you have a pain free crutch. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, nealeST said:

I’m prepared to sell my cars and just about all my possessions, rethink the style of clothing I favour and give up plenty of other things into the bargain in order to live afloat. One thing I’m struggling with is giving up cycling. I see liveaboards with bikes on the roof. Not keen on that idea. Bikes look to be treated like assorted junk😳. I want a trad stern so lashing a bike on the end of a cruiser stern isn’t going to happen. I’ve test ridden a Brompton and whilst initially taken - highly innovative and eccentric- but I think the wheels too small…especially for towpath use. I don’t like other versions of collapsible bikes. I love my heavy classic ‘Edwardian geometry’ bicycles-all steel and 28 inch wheels. How am I going to accommodate one of those…I have two but I can scale it to one….will I be forced to give up my lovely bike rides?

Depends on your exact layout.  Ours lives in ths engine 'ole.  Can be awkward to extract but if we know its needed soon get it out somewhere convenient.  Temporary residence in the front well is then OK.

N

Grrrrr! Bikes! Terrible things to store or carry, I had a bike that was salvaged from the cut and eventually went back to the same place. You can't lie them flat cos the pedals stick out, They catch ropes and branches, they ruin your back trying to lift them off the roof and they sink if they fall in (That is actually a good thing) However if you do have a decent tug deck then they can be carried successfully  and they are useful occasionally (But less so than you would think)

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

Easy. Get a tug-style NB then erect a bicycle rack on the tug deck for an many bikes as you want.

This is reason number 53 why tug style NBs are AWESOME! 

Here's a good example of a tug style, ready and awaiting its bike rack.

082i.jpg

I kept my old commuting bike on the front deck with the handle bar end tucked up behind the wellie bar on the bulkhead.

One evening in Sheffield I heard a noise, then felt the boat rocking. I popped out the stern and walked up to find a young gent with Eastern European accent who was "Taking this bike but leaving mine for you as this better"

True to his word there was a rusty old thing leaning on the wall nearby. Some people are so thoughtful.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

Grrrrr! Bikes! Terrible things to store or carry, I had a bike that was salvaged from the cut and eventually went back to the same place. You can't lie them flat cos the pedals stick out, They catch ropes and branches, they ruin your back trying to lift them off the roof and they sink if they fall in (That is actually a good thing) However if you do have a decent tug deck then they can be carried successfully  and they are useful occasionally (But less so than you would think)

I use mine constantly when boating single handed. I use it to go back and close up the lock behind me on flights, and just chuck it randomly on the tug deck when it needs to go on the boat. 

I had a bike on the roof, I took the saddle off and kept inside and turned the handle bars 90 deg. A coup of kids nicked it when I was on the Thames, by the time I looked out the side hatch one was just trying to mount it with no seat and the handle bars all wrong, He just dropped it and ran

2 hours ago, nealeST said:

I’m prepared to sell my cars and just about all my possessions, rethink the style of clothing I favour and give up plenty of other things into the bargain in order to live afloat. 

You missed out wearing sackcloth and ashes,walking around with stones in your sandalls and voting Lib Dem.

No need to go to extremes to live aboard, just a few adjustments to your lifestyle. 😝

A folding bike will be ok as quite a lot of the times you need it, it will be used as a sort of wheelbarrow.You will probably carry your cassette, your groceries and possibly a gas cylinder, on it (not all at the same time) 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I had mine on the bow deck upright, held in by coal bags and tied to the T stud.

I think I've seen a halford bike carrier on the stern.

Folding bikes are not great to cycle.

Cheap bikes are not great to cycle, is the thing. 

38 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Folding pedals are a thing now.

And they are brilliant. drops the bike down to lie flat on the roof completely out of the way. 

A folding bike with 20” wheels works better on rough towpaths than a Brompton with 16” wheels. A 1970s Raleigh 20 provides a nice and solid frame, and can be improved with front suspension, better brakes etc. 

IMG_3369.jpeg

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A folding bike will be ok as quite a lot of the times you need it, it will be used as a sort of wheelbarrow.You will probably carry your cassette, your groceries and possibly a gas cylinder, on it (not all at the same time) 

Yes I thought I might get use out of a bike for stuff like that but instead I’ve got in the habit of taking the boat and mooring beside the Elsen or the wharf/yard selling the gas.

For groceries, particularly a big shop, I take advantage of the canalside or (very near canalside) supermarkets. 
Pretty much all the canal side villages have coops and spars for the small stuff. And if I’m gonna be countrified for any length of time then I stock up in advance. Yeah, I get caught out now and again but it’s not often. 

I mainly thought having a bike would be good for lock wheeling,

but on my own it don’t work out like that,

if I had someone with me it’d be very useful for one of us to go ahead.

If someone really likes cycling and exploring away from the canal then I can see them being well used.

I guess I’m just lazy

• Greenie 1