Boat Sunk.

Featured Posts

It's a hard one to fathom. 

An old mate of mine who is a marketing genius got himself appointed fundraising director of a struggling charity some people will have heard of.

The deal he did was to get paid (something like) 1% of the annual rise in the charity's income his fundraising efforts achieved. In his first year he raised their income by £10m, thereby earning himself a cool £100k. He expected to do a lot better than that in subsequent years and he probably did.

We've lost touch now.

Should he not have bothered? 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

It's a hard one to fathom. 

An old mate of mine who is a marketing genius got himself appointed fundraising director of a struggling charity some people will have heard of.

The deal he did was to get paid (something like) 1% of the annual rise in the charity's income his fundraising efforts achieved. In his first year he raised their income by £10m, thereby earning himself a cool £100k. He expected to do a lot better than that in subsequent years and he probably did.

We've lost touch now.

Should he not have bothered? 

I worked for a charity that did similar deals with fundraisers.

20 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I worked for a charity that did similar deals with fundraisers.

And that is why most charities don't care about the people giving some odd change

I had a friend who earned his living busking for charity. The deal was that 10% of what he took had to go the the charity, the rest was his. He reckoned the used of the charity name, board and collection box multiplied his earnings about ten-fold, so he'd take about £100 an hour, and the charity connection ensured he didn't get moved on. His accountant made him buy a new car every year to keep his tax bill down.

I stopped giving to charity buskers...

• Greenie 1

Going back to the boat, I can't help wondering what the situation is. The boat and its pontoon set off down stream and smash against the bridge. Fair enough. 

What happens next? I'm sure RCR didn't just rock up because they were bored.

If they were called out by the owners of the sunken boat you would have thought they would have asked the owners to sign a piece of paper absolving them from any comeback if they were unfortunate enough to sink it. You might also think  that as they call themselves River and Canal Rescue they must know what they are doing. 

Has anyone heard anything from the owners yet?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I wonder what the magic ingredient is to add 10 million to the coffers of a charity. 

Around 3,000 hours of time, plus a high degree of skill.

18 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Going back to the boat, I can't help wondering what the situation is. 

Interesting that the front doors are open. 

I don't know how it works but does someone enter Boats in this situation to check nobody / pets on board? 

Or was the owner on board when it started to go adrift and stepped onto the bank before it went I also find the rope coiled on the front deck a little curious. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Interesting that the front doors are open. 

I don't know how it works but does someone enter Boats in this situation to check nobody / pets on board? 

I would think that's the way the owners got out, and up onto the bridge.

Just now, matty40s said:

I would think that's the way the owners got out, and up onto the bridge.

That makes sense. Also pull the rope in and coil it tidily before leaving. 

Quite a hair raising situation. 

20 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I remember seeing footage on a TV news programme a few years ago of a village in a narrow valley, I think in the West Country, where a heavy flash flood had ripped through it, entering some houses well above windowcill height,  and leaving parked cars unusable. The programme showed footage, filmed by a resident while the road was still partially flooded,  of a parking warden ticketting the previously-submerged and  therefore  undrivable, cars. 

Back in January 2010 I was working at a data centre in Slough.

We contractors had to park in a council run car park as the data centre didn't want us using their parking facilities.

One day it snowed hard overnight. I arrived at the car park and parked where I thought my usual slot was 

Later in the day a hoard of (well three 😂) traffic wardens arrived, scraped the snow around the parked cars, and ticketed those not parked between the lines! Fortunately I was within the lines.

It was a completely pointless exercise, because someone took photos of the snow covered car park, gave copies to those who were ticketed and they all won their appeals for incorrect parking.

Rowers. Always causing trouble on the River. 

I'll see if I can find the megaphone once the River has stopped having funIMG_20240107_104145.thumb.jpg.617b3d5a969ce4380bca7ede99c88edf.jpg

(this was not in use and has no outboard. They just don't moor or store them properly. 

Lowers the tone of the country estate a little in a number of different ways. 

15 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So what's going on here?

image.png.3ec5be0118cedd83e4baac474b360651.png

At the left side - it looks like water is coming up behind the plating?

The cabin is submerged upstream of where the plating is, creating a "ramp" which goes from ~9" to a couple of inches, then it meets the sharp edge of the (top of the) plating, creating white water on the surface. I don't think there's anything more than fast flowing water around a sunken/partially submerged boat.

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The cabin is submerged upstream of where the plating is, creating a "ramp" which goes from ~9" to a couple of inches, then it meets the sharp edge of the (top of the) plating, creating white water on the surface. I don't think there's anything more than fast flowing water around a sunken/partially submerged boat.

From right at the end - the bottom of the plate seems to be clear of the water and it really does look like its coming from behind it.

image.png.c92a5b077cdf0fa4c42e5f3f9eec0486.png

I guess it could have sprung due to the hull flexing.

I saw a doco on telly years ago about professional charity fundraisers ...... charities with the essential registration for tax deductability were happy to get 3% of the gross take .........this is the minimum the state government will allow for a charity registration.

Being very new to the NB world. I was really shocked to see how easily things can turn into a tragedy. Is there a great  risk associated with being moored in a flood prone area?

I did some online rummaging I came across this Flood Map

https://parallel.co.uk/rofrs/

Should one be really mindful of the possibility of flooding or is this tragedy an unfortunate but isolated event.

Edited by Naartjie

2 minutes ago, Naartjie said:

Should one be really mindful of the possibility of flooding 

Yes, very much so depending on location, but with the biblical amount of rain all over UK nowhere is 100% safe.

Always check the records and if you are going to moor somewhere which floods badly then either consider not mooring there or do so in such a way as to avoid problems. 

Flooding is nothing new. Obviously because of the internet people think it never happened before but it actually did. 

I am moored on the Thames. When the boarding plank became too steep the other day I started to use the dinghy to get orf the Boat. In the past I have rowed the dinghy half a mile across a flooded field to get to land. 

I would never consider building a structure or jetty even on my own land as they are known to wash away.

Long scaffolding poles are good or long straight ash tree saplings provided they can be hammered into the riverbed and are longer than the highest flood on record. 

Tie the Boat to a secure fixture on the land from the front with good ropes with plenty of angle to allow for a rise. Front rope tight due to flow and leave the back rope with some slack. That way the Boat just moves forwards as the level goes up and back as it goes down. 

15 minutes ago, Naartjie said:

Being very new to the NB world. I was really shocked to see how easily things can turn into a tragedy. Is there a great  risk associated with being moored in a flood prone area?

I did some online rummaging I came across this Flood Map

https://parallel.co.uk/rofrs/

Should one be really mindful of the possibility of flooding or is this tragedy an unfortunate but isolated event.

What Mike said.

There are ways to minimise the risk, but you have to know what they are. One is described in this thread (A frames and a huge upstream anchor), but there are other things that can be done, depending upon the location. At the minimum, I think flood lines need rigging running well upstream and tied off to a very firm strong point like a mature tree or very large post driven deep into the ground. The longer the line the easer it is for the boat to rise with the water. You also need to ensure the boat can't ride over the bank, that is where those higed A frames come in. On the fleet we used to drive posts into the river bed, but they wee also supported by a concrete bank and tied against the bank.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Tie the Boat to a secure fixture on the land from the front with good ropes with plenty of angle to allow for a rise. Front rope tight due to flow and leave the back rope with some slack. That way the Boat just moves forwards as the level goes up and back as it goes down. 

Toy can also lash the tiller/wheel so the flow tends to hold the boat away from the bank, but I would never just do that, and it needs a spring line at the back, rather than just a stern line running downstream.