Boat Sunk.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

They seemed to be winching it the wrong way to me, right across the part of the river with the strongest flow. My thoughts were to go the other way, stern first & astern in line with the bridge until possibly it was no longer being pinned to the bridge by the water and could be winched a second time up towards the grassy knoll where the camera was shooting from. But it's all much easier if you're not actually there doing it I guess.

Always worth bearing in mind two things when it comes to this kind of operation. 

1. What is the intended outcome. 

2. Are there other factors at play causing the Boat to be a secondary consideration. 

The first one is interesting. What was the intended outcome? Its pretty obvious with a Boat broadside onto a bridge in flood conditions that you are not going to remove it. That is a given. So the aim must be to right it. 

Surely the water has revealed a bit of a clue here in that it started leaning over without anyone helping it. The water is in charge of the situation. 

2 Could suggest that there is a policy which dictates that a submerged Boat is a better bet than a floating Boat because in this state it is not likely to move and cause unexpected outcomes later on. It is a known known. 

This has happened before. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think most do. Mine does anyway.

Spoilsport! You have ruined DshK's prime piece of virtue signalling and knocked them right off their moral high ground. How cruel!

It is of course true that personal possessions of a sentimental nature can't be replaced and their loss might be sorely felt, however the clue is in "can't be replaced" rather than "can be replaced given enough cash".

Oh dear, all those irreplacable framed photos of now deceased grandparents and favoured pets are lost, not to mention that memento of that holiday in Spain brought from the "antique shop" - but never mind, with a few grand in our pockets we will soon get over it. See you down the pub!

No I am not really that heartless, losing a boat like that is horrible whether if is fully insured or not. However expecting random people to pay you to make you feel better, is a weird concept.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

However expecting random people to pay you to make you feel better, is a weird concept.

You got the concept wrong! 

It is "expecting random people to pay you to make them feel better,"

;)

I like the beer money requests. Also think the owners of the 'platforms' taking their cut are a bit sly and will have bad karma. 

O M G 

IMG_20240105_154348.jpg.65454444a87cf820d4f697358c34cfa2.jpg

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

You got the concept wrong! 

It is "expecting random people to pay you to make them feel better,"

;)

I like the beer money requests. Also think the owners of the 'platforms' taking their cut are a bit sly and will have bad karma. 

O M G 

IMG_20240105_154348.jpg.65454444a87cf820d4f697358c34cfa2.jpg

Ah yes, sorry, my mistake!

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

As I said earlier, I don't think you will find its the boat owner asking, its others offering 

It is an interesting phenomenon..

Getting people you will never know to give money to someone you will never know by using the power of the internet and taking 3 percent of it. 

Quite clever in a way ! 

No flies on these ones. 

All this must be having an impact on charitable donations for innocent children with head cancer. 

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

There's a second one sunk on the soar. Looks like it is just up from the bridge. It's a widebeam moored to the bank https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=752048560285340&set=a.463931852430347 

One wonders why ?

Nice bit of canal.

The canal is not overtopped, I can only imagine that the lines were too tight and it couldn't rise with the water level, (unless its holed) ?

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One wonders why ?

Nice bit of canal.

The canal is not overtopped, I can only imagine that the lines were too tight and it couldn't rise with the water level, (unless its holed) ?

The 'canal' , where the water the boats float on usually sit about 2 feet below the towpath, rose to waist height above the towpath with a very strong flow.

Unless you are used to rivers, and floods, where you have to be up every hour to monitor your lines and where the bank is,  you are very much at risk.....something many new liveaboards dont realise until it's too late.

The Soars levels were unprecedented, rainfall like that is NOT normal, however, may well be the new normal.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The 'canal' , where the water the boats float on usually sit about 2 feet below the towpath, rose to waist height above the towpath with a very strong flow.

Unless you are used to rivers, and floods, where you have to be up every hour to monitor your lines and where the bank is,  you are very much at risk.....something many new liveaboards dont realise until it's too late.

The Soars levels were unprecedented, rainfall like that is NOT normal, however, may well be the new normal.

Seen that boat around before. Don't think they were new to boating or boating in rivers!

Unless it has had a recent change of ownership.

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Spoilsport! You have ruined DshK's prime piece of virtue signalling and knocked them right off their moral high ground. How cruel!

It is of course true that personal possessions of a sentimental nature can't be replaced and their loss might be sorely felt, however the clue is in "can't be replaced" rather than "can be replaced given enough cash".

Oh dear, all those irreplacable framed photos of now deceased grandparents and favoured pets are lost, not to mention that memento of that holiday in Spain brought from the "antique shop" - but never mind, with a few grand in our pockets we will soon get over it. See you down the pub!

No I am not really that heartless, losing a boat like that is horrible whether if is fully insured or not. However expecting random people to pay you to make you feel better, is a weird concept.

Virtue signalling? I'm not sure you know what that means?

My insurance, as most I would think, does not cover any items that cost over £200.

No one is making you pay anything. No one is expecting you to pay anything. You're the one taking offence at the idea of kindness

That's as far as I'm willing to take an online arguement. 

By the way I've heard you're actually much more pleasant in real life 🤣

Edited by DShK
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, DShK said:

My insurance, as most I would think, does not cover any items that cost over £200.

My insurance covers any unspecified items up to £200, but you can specify high-value items (up to £10,000 per item) and once specified are fully insured. I have had to take out separate insurance to cover some items over £10,000 per item.

"Collections" are clasified as one-item so your collection of coins / Vinyl, etc etc may be well underinsured.

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

Surely the water has revealed a bit of a clue here in that it started leaning over without anyone helping it. The water is in charge of the situation. 

No the boat started to lean over under its own weight when it got caught on the abutments of the bridge as the water level receded. That's the problem with flat bottomed boats. You think they'd just slip off something catching the baseplate or uxter plate but due to the weight they often don't. I've levered a few boat off obstacles with a scaffold pole when floodwater was receding. Pulled my mates widebeam off a submerged wall with my boat while he used the pole. It happens all the time after floods.

The person who constantly talks about virtue signalling clearly has no idea about the real meaning.

It's not about people stepping forward to help others (obviously what Nick thinks is virtue signalling).

It's about people pretending to help 

Glad to be of help 🙂

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

No the boat started to lean over under its own weight when it got caught on the abutments of the bridge as the water level receded. That's the problem with flat bottomed boats. You think they'd just slip off something catching the baseplate or uxter plate but due to the weight they often don't. I've levered a few boat off obstacles with a scaffold pole when floodwater was receding. Pulled my mates widebeam off a submerged wall with my boat while he used the pole. It happens all the time after floods.

Do you think it would have rolled over had it not been winched? It looked a bit like it was 'during a flood' rather than 'after a flood'. 

Maybe it would have rolled but it certainly didn't need help in those conditions unless the aim was in fact to sink it and cause it to become a fixed obstruction. 

Big canal boat right up against Sunbury weir yesterday. Don't know how it got past the nelson lines I suppose it just floated over.  IMG_20240106_030207.jpg.fc838f61cbeec339af1a36263dc635ba.jpg(pic stolen from fb) 

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Do you think it would have rolled over had it not been winched? It looked a bit like it was 'during a flood' rather than 'after a flood'. 

That depends on whether it would have rolled over enough to take on sufficient water to roll it completely. I don't know where the vents, etc are on that boat but generally once water starts to come in it's game over.

When I said "after a flood" I simply meant water levels had started to recede, not that the flood was over. My bad as they say. I'm only going on what was said either in the video or on here about the boat coming down and hitting the abutments of the bridge. That's what caused it to start leaning over in the first place.

I'm not convinced it is caught up. I think the Boat is leaning simply because of the water pressure. 

GDBun6rWUAAxTVT?format=jpg&name=large

There don't seem to be any significant protrusions on the bridge although obviously the edge of a base plate can catch on a very small part. 

GDBun6wWwAAiVkZ?format=jpg&name=large

I reckon had the Boat been left alone it would still be floating. 

At least in the second position the Boat is not going to end up collecting every single piece of flotsam and causing a dam across the bridge. That would be quite a nasty situation. The water has to go somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'm not convinced it is caught up. I think the Boat is leaning simply because of the water pressure. 

There don't seem to be any significant protrusions on the bridge although obviously the edge of a base plate can catch on a very small part. 

I can't see below the waterline like you so I don't know! Those abutments may still be below the water. Anyway as I said, I'm just going on what was said in the video & on here. 

I reckon had the Boat been left alone it would still be floating. 

You may well be right there.