Boat Sunk.

Featured Posts

7 seconds in and there is the gofundme advert, no mention if they are insured or not, bad news for them if they aren't. Would the people that own the pontoon have any liability in a case like this?

9 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

7 seconds in and there is the gofundme advert, no mention if they are insured or not, bad news for them if they aren't. Would the people that own the pontoon have any liability in a case like this?

Some of the "pontoons"....I use the word loosely....at Proctors are sketchy at best....nothing more than a couple of scaff poles and some plywood...definitely not something I'd want to be tied to even in a light rain shower let alone a flood.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Yes that's the point at which I stopped watching, wondering the same.

If they had insurance then probably no need for the gofundme. If they have insurance then the gofundme is a bit fraudulent, isn't it? So presumably no insurance or TPI only. In which case....

Edited by MtB
Spelling

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

So presumably no insurance or TPI only. In which case....

My 3rd party unsurance includes wreck recovery up to 50 grand. 

I imagine they have strict protocols to prevent people deliberately sinking cheap Boats and getting their mates in to do the salvage work. 

Maybe a preferred contractor so one can keep the fraud in-house. 

43 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I would suggest its not the boat owner who has asked for the money but people raisng some cash to help them. Even if the insurance company pays full value of the boat they will still be well out of pocket.

• Greenie 2

Also now it is sunk it is probably causing more of an obstruction so in terms of flooding could be quite a bad situation. 

To people with Boats it looks like a Boat but at the end of the day all it is is an obstruction to the flow on a river. Debris which in some circumstances can collect more debris and eventually create a dam effect thus causing flooding elsewhere. 

It looks like the flooding up there is receding so I guess it is not a hazard. 

Looks like RCR made it worse, but whether it was "doomed" anyway, even before they started, or saveable, I don't know. My first thought was, get something on the starboard side of the boat pulling up, to right it and prevent it barrel rolling then sinking.

But then.........they have seats at the stern, they were obviously casual with risk. And plenty of other boats DIDN'T become set free with the rise in water level.

More to this than at first seems, I think.

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

If they had insurance then probably no need for the gofundme. If they have insurance then the gofundme is a bit fraudulent, isn't it? So presumably no insurance or TPI only. In which case....

The gofundme could be for the uninsured items, eg if they only had third party insurance.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

presume this comes under 'act of god' ? so no liability?

59 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes that's the point at which I stopped watching, wondering the same.

I do love how some on this forum in total lack of knowledge of the full circumstances jump to possible conclusions.

For one thing we don't know if they had insurance or not.

If they didn't have it we don't know why. Of course it's easy to jump to the conclusion that they 'just didn't bother' but do we know that is the case. No we know nothing of the sort.

If they had it did it cover all their losses, it is quite easy to inadvertently underestimate the value of stuff.

So until we know know the full facts it would perhaps be prudent to keep our counsel.

51 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest its not the boat owner who has asked for the money but people raisng some cash to help them. Even if the insurance company pays full value of the boat they will still be well out of pocket.

Absolutely spot on. 

3 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Its rather unorthodox in this very sad situation  to claim "Casual with risk" from taff seats, we know nothing of their use, perhaps just after cruising, Im sure like most boaters they are careful with use . Are you really saying all boaters with seats like that are casual with risk? 

We had taff seats on our boat and we used to get this one.

1 hour ago, Chris Lowe said:

Surely it would be extremely difficult to refloat that boat at the moment, the river current will be pinning it hard against the bridge.

Last one that went there wasnt removed until about 3 weeks later for that reason.. 

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Last one that went there wasnt removed until about 3 weeks later for that reason.. 

I thought that one stayed more upright and was wedged on the wooden fendering...this one is going to be harder now as its lying on its side...I totally feel for the owners....I do wonder what the deal with the pontoons is at proctors....whos liability they are.

Just now, frangar said:

I thought that one stayed more upright and was wedged on the wooden fendering...this one is going to be harder now as its lying on its side...I totally feel for the owners....I do wonder what the deal with the pontoons is at proctors....whos liability they are.

As I said on the other thread, they are pretty much DIY,  no standard, the mooring in question was quite a low one with scaffold risers.

The Soar has been at record high, so even time tested moorings will have had a new test of durability.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Looks like RCR made it worse, but whether it was "doomed" anyway, even before they started, or saveable, I don't know. My first thought was, get something on the starboard side of the boat pulling up, to right it and prevent it barrel rolling then sinking.

They seemed to be winching it the wrong way to me, right across the part of the river with the strongest flow. My thoughts were to go the other way, stern first & astern in line with the bridge until possibly it was no longer being pinned to the bridge by the water and could be winched a second time up towards the grassy knoll where the camera was shooting from. But it's all much easier if you're not actually there doing it I guess.