1st time poster. Maybe the first but won't be the last

Handyandy180

Featured Posts

Hi all I'm Chris

Currently looking at retirement and pondering a narrow boat. I am currently doing my homework and researching as much as i can. I am sure there will be lots and lots of silly questions in the future so I may as well start with my first. Can someone tell me the difference between the following? Cruiser, Traditional and Semi Traditional.

Many thanks

Chris

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

A Traditional stern would not normally have the two seats on posts, which some people might suggest can get in the way when boarding or getting off the boat.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

A Traditional stern would not normally have the two seats on posts, which some people might suggest can get in the way when boarding or getting off the boat.

I wouldn't say the seats are particularly relevant to the trad/semi-trad/cruiser distinction. They can all have varieties of seating or no seating at all.

There are pros and cons for each and as with all things on narrowboats it’s a compromise. There will be  more but here are some pros and cons 

trad stern pro more room internally much better cruising when it’s raining con can’t fit many on the stern at one time when traveling (3 at a push realistically 2 though not brilliantly comfy or just the steerer but MUST all  keep out of the tiller arm less easy to accommodate dogs but not impossible. More traditional looking 

semi trad pro more social space, bit of a compromise but more open to the rain and elements than trad less internal space can be sorted a bit space wise with pram hood. 

cruiser very social but either use a not too aesthetic “pram hood” cover or have a likelihood of water ingress into the bilges. Very open to the elements when raining less internal space. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

For the benefit of the OP also called suicide seats, because if you are sitting on them and reverse the rudder into something hard it is almost certain you will be pushed over the back of the boat and come into contact with the leg mincing machine known as the propeller.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

There are pros and cons for each and as with all things on narrowboats it’s a compromise. There will be  more but here are some pros and cons 

trad stern pro more room internally much better cruising when it’s raining con can’t fit many on the stern at one time when traveling (3 at a push realistically 2 though not brilliantly comfy or just the steerer but MUST all  keep out of the tiller arm less easy to accommodate dogs but not impossible. More traditional looking 

semi trad pro more social space, bit of a compromise but more open to the rain and elements than trad less internal space can be sorted a bit space wise with pram hood. 

cruiser very social but either use a not too aesthetic “pram hood” cover or have a likelihood of water ingress into the bilges. Very open to the elements when raining less internal space. 

One advantage I think (I've not had experience of a trad personally) of cruiser/semi-trad though for cruising in the rain, is that you can keep the doors shut so that the rain stays on the outside (correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure you must get some rain coming in to the stern cabin if the hatch is open on a trad?).

8 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

One advantage I think (I've not had experience of a trad personally) of cruiser/semi-trad though for cruising in the rain, is that you can keep the doors shut so that the rain stays on the outside (correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure you must get some rain coming in to the stern cabin if the hatch is open on a trad?).

No, you wear a cagoule with the edges over the hatch, boat and you stay dry and warm.  Cruiser and semi trad sterns are  hopeless bad weather boats.

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

For the benefit of the OP also called suicide seats, because if you are sitting on them and reverse the rudder into something hard it is almost certain you will be pushed over the back of the boat and come into contact with the leg mincing machine known as the propeller.

If you enter the water head first it is unlikely to be your legs that get minced...

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, you wear a cagoule with the edges over the hatch, boat and you stay dry and warm.  Cruiser and semi trad sterns are  hopeless bad weather boats.

Ah fair enough, that sounds like a good approach! I've not seen many practice it though to be fair. I don't think a semi-trad is hopeless in bad weather... your lower half can still be be shielded from the worst of the wind and even from some rain if it's coming from a convenient direction. Just wear waterproofs and it's all good ;) . I'm not pretending a trad wouldn't be more comfortable though - no denying that.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Ah fair enough, that sounds like a good approach! I've not seen many practice it though to be fair. I don't think a semi-trad is hopeless in bad weather... your lower half can still be be shielded from the worst of the wind and even from some rain if it's coming from a convenient direction. Just wear waterproofs and it's all good ;) . I'm not pretending a trad wouldn't be more comfortable though - no denying that.

I've seen "trad-drivers" with an elsaticated skirt similar to a canoeist.

81S0IYoiboL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

When we had semi-trad shareboats I found waterproof overalls (AKA "tunnel suits") kept me warm.and dry in even the most inclement weather. My was manufactured by Dickies but these are quite expensive now. Here is a cheaper alternative from.Scewfix.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/regatta-waterproof-insulated-coverall-all-in-1s-black-x-large-44-chest-32-l/246JF?kpid=246JF&cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Safety and Workwear?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=Google-_-TOKEN1-_-TOKEN2&gclid=CjwKCAjw69moBhBgEiwAUFCx2DLtYrDiWlrI_LboG3n5aLo7rG-8OpOILU6UTm5P31yfKlik0mxyUBoCv44QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On a trad, in bad weather you stand on the step with the doors shut behind you and the slide pulled up to your body. Little water finds its way down into the cabin except in the heaviest rain, and the steerer has the advantage of warmth from the cabin (heated by engine or back cabin stove) warming the legs and rising around the upper body.

6 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

I wouldn't say the seats are particularly relevant to the trad/semi-trad/cruiser distinction. They can all have varieties of seating or no seating at all.

The style of stern that has become known as traditional or "trad" is based upon the back end style of a motorised working boat, and they never had seats

Below :- Narrowboat Clypeus built in 1935.

Clypeus02.thumb.JPG.d8e81b226d2f61bf7201c3c9b400ea0c.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

On a trad, in bad weather you stand on the step with the doors shut behind you and the slide pulled up to your body. Little water finds its way down into the cabin except in the heaviest rain, and the steerer has the advantage of warmth from the cabin (heated by engine or back cabin stove) warming the legs and rising around the upper body.

I don't think anyone's denying that a trad stern is best in horrible weather.

But if you're not a solo/pair boater and want to be sociable in better weather with more people, a trad stern is the worst choice. 

All things to do with boats are a compromise... 😉

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

The style of stern that has become known as traditional or "trad" is based upon the back end style of a motorised working boat, and they never had seats

Below :- Narrowboat Clypeus built in 1935.

Clypeus02.thumb.JPG.d8e81b226d2f61bf7201c3c9b400ea0c.JPG

Indeed 👍 and some trad sterns have seating added to them, but I'm pretty sure everyone still refers to them as trad sterns.

When I was doing a lot of narrow boating I had a trad stern. Don't have any narrow boats now but if I ever had one again it would be a trad. 

This was my trad stern back in 1996. 

It was just me and the little long dog on the boat. Lots of winter boating in howling gales which is when a trad really works. 

IMG_20230929_202924.thumb.jpg.24bed0d338a987b152f06907457a748e.jpg

Happy days. 

Having owned all stern types over a number of years I still vastly prefer cruiser stern. As for the weather aspect, life is too short to stand on the back of a boat in the rain, I always found there was a pub to go to or simply tie up. Very occasionally life would get in the way and would be forced to cruise but that was very occasionally.

• Greenie 1